Forums are back in action! ×

What do you call an inverted Rabbi!?

Got to the WOD last Wednesday and it included handstand push-ups. The coach asked what I was going to do and I said "scale" -- either box press or feet on the wall. He asked if I could do a (supported) handstand and when I said yes, he said, "why don't you try a handstand push-up first?" and put down two abmats to make it easier.

I got inverted and tried a handstand push-up but came down too fast and collapsed at the bottom. Coach said: "get yourself stable on top before you come down..." and I did it! Woot!

The WOD included 5x HSPU each round and 5RFT; I figured I would do 1x HSPU each round and scale the rest... but when I reached the HSPU in the first round I went into 20s berzerker mode and... got 5x HSPU! Woot Woot!

After repeating that performance in rounds 2 and 3, there was no turning back... so I blasted out 5 HSPU in each of rounds 4 and 5 to finish the WOD -- reaching for RX, 2 abmats of assist.

One of my Fitness Goals for 2014 is to get an HSPU. I'm closer than I thought... need to drop to 1 abmat and then none...

Woot!

¿ıqqÉɹ

Seriously though handstand push ups are an awesome accomplishment. Way to go dude! I didn't quite understand exactly what you did though. Was it free standing? That would be super badass.

No, these were all supported -- doing a handstand with my back against the wall. In my case, only my heels actually touch the wall, but I don't yet have the balance to do a free-standing handstand. I want that!

So for these, I was in a handstand, back against the wall, heels touching it for balance, and I did partial strict HSPU by putting a stack of two abmats between my hands / under my head. That cuts the distance travelled in the HSPU by around 6-7 inches (15-18 cm) which makes it a lot easier. (When I got home I tried cutting it to 1 abmat but I got stuck at the bottom.)

Well done that is awesome!!! I've been able to string together one set of 4 of those so far... they're pretty intense! Way to go!

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."