Forums are back in action! ×

Did I see prison-style lifting?

I am at my gym 6 times a week, 3 times in the weight areas. I see most of the same people day in and day out, especially the heavy lifters.

Yesterday I saw something really weird. Two new dudes with bulky sweatshirts on (our gym keeps it pretty damn warm, so it stands out) doing bench presses.... forever. I mean the whole time I was there. (hour+)

They would alternate with no downtime except the other person's set. Never changed weights. They had 3 plates on each side, and I think were doing 8 reps per set. 315 lbs, so with the number of sets it's really damn impressive... but also really weird and counter to everything I have learned.

When I see prison shows the guys are just kind of lifting endlessly in the background. This makes me think maybe the sweatshirts were to cover prison tats (basically every other one of us in there has tattoos anyway, no need to cover "normal" ones) and this was some weird prison work out?

I should express that I don't care if they're ex-cons or not on any sort of moral/personal level, it is just the weirdest workout I've seen since starting at the gym. I was wondering if that was possibly what's behind it or not.

Heheh, don't worry spend some more time in the gym. You'll see all sorts of crazy shit. :) 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Definitely sounds like my kind of workout lol

I am at my gym 6 times a week, 3 times in the weight areas. I see most of the same people day in and day out, especially the heavy lifters.

Yesterday I saw something really weird. Two new dudes with bulky sweatshirts on (our gym keeps it pretty damn warm, so it stands out) doing bench presses.... forever. I mean the whole time I was there. (hour+)

They would alternate with no downtime except the other person's set. Never changed weights. They had 3 plates on each side, and I think were doing 8 reps per set. 315 lbs, so with the number of sets it's really damn impressive... but also really weird and counter to everything I have learned.

When I see prison shows the guys are just kind of lifting endlessly in the background. This makes me think maybe the sweatshirts were to cover prison tats (basically every other one of us in there has tattoos anyway, no need to cover "normal" ones) and this was some weird prison work out?

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

A guy at the gym told me he thinks they may have been training for the NFL-225 bench test. Apparently you have to lift at least 225, but more much is of course preferred, for as many reps as possible until you can't move it anymore. We do live in an area with a team, definitely possible.

Or it was just weird.

NFL combine begins saturday, I believe.

I know they do their bench is 225# overall, and the score is by how many reps they do. Sports Illustrated made a big hubbub about a fella who did 39 reps of 225 at his combine.. can't remember his name. 40 reps is a big deal. 

Anyways, you might be onto something with that statement. 

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

See the only thing that's weird to me is that they were doing 315. Yes, they were not doing it 39 times, but still... doing 30x8 of 315 is a lot more than 39 of 225. I don't know, it was still really weird. I have never seen these guys again, either, which continues to make it very strange. Most people at my gym at the time I go (5am) are ALWAYS there at 5am, because frankly it's a very dedicated time to go. You don't go to the gym that early unless you mean it.

It sounds more like a bodybuilder-esque workout to me.  In my limited understanding, they do loads of volume and the full sweats is to just get a good sweat going.  Kai Greene hardly ever workouts without full sweats on watching his youtube videos.  The only thing a bit off about it is just focusing on bench.  A bodybuilder (at least the few videos I've seen) would focus on a lot of different varied chest exercises. Who knows though... either way, it's darn impressive.  315 for an hour with very little breaks is crazy strong. 

Question: why do you care?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've seen people do nothing but AMRAP heavy squats in sets of 7 for 10 mins (or something I don't know what).  I watched and enjoyed it and they loved every minute of it.  I don't care what they were doing.  People having a good time on the iron without judgement?  I'm in!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Question: why do you care?

Answer: as I stated, I have never seen anyone doing endless bench presses. It stood out so much that I was curious.

I never once stated any sort of judgement against them.

Definitely sounds like they were prepping for the 225 test.

Were their ages somewhere in the low 20's?

Even if not the combine, there are lots of pro days going on right now. What they were doing was standard prep for the 225 test.

It's been over a month and I haven't seen them again, but yes they were probably early to mid 20s.

So after looking up the guy you mentioned he is almost definitely on steroids... I guess that would help explain their lifting endurance and abilities if they are at all similar.

???

that's kind of a big jump.

Really though- unless someone is doing head things with a leg machine how people chose to go through their workouts is kind of irrelevant. Every time I see someone doing (to me) ridiculous things- I go- maybe it's rehab- maybe it's training- maybe it's physical therapy- maybe they had an injury.  I don't know so it's just hypothesizing and mostly a waste of time. 

I'm doing one working set of 20 for my squats- I do a nice warm up- but only ONE working set of 20. I'm sure there are people that wonder why I don't do more squatting. Shrug- it is what it is. They don't know- and will make assumptions.  I like to make up stories for what people think about me while I'm doing stuff- just because- it keeps me from wondering what they are doing and gives me fun ridiculous stories to tell myself ;)

I'm doing one working set of 20 for my squats- I do a nice warm up- but only ONE working set of 20. I'm sure there are people that wonder why I don't do more squatting. Shrug- it is what it is. They don't know- and will make assumptions.  I like to make up stories for what people think about me while I'm doing stuff- just because- it keeps me from wondering what they are doing and gives me fun ridiculous stories to tell myself ;)

U doin a 20 rep squat variation (meaining lots of forced reps)?

If so Jo is beyond hardcore.... Most of the boys can't handle that sort of torture.

Sure works tho, if you can handle it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

U doin a 20 rep squat variation (meaining lots of forced reps)?

If so Jo is beyond hardcore.... Most of the boys can't handle that sort of torture.

Sure works tho, if you can handle it.

had to google to make sure- but sadly no. this is not my program- sure looks like something I would do.

This is the one I did- I'm technically done this week. I'm moderately satisfied with it. I got within ten pounds of my goal - so not bad. 

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2843/articles/20-rep-squat-program

my squat technique under the bar is falling apart under weight though- I'm really frustrated but working on fixing it. :)