Forums are back in action! ×

Lifehacker Article on Beginning a fitness Program

So, Lifehacker.com had an article on beginning a fitness program when you are out of shape.  The thing I found remarkable is that point for point the Nerdfitness community / articles / information are full implementations of these ideas.

Link below...

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-start-exercising-when-youre-already-overweight-1521317096

The best part about NF is the community element - I'm glad I found this place. 

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------

The only quibble I had with that article is that it talked about creating a caloric deficit with either diet OR exercise.  And as we know here, you can't outrun your fork. You have to take on both together for lasting results.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

You have to take on both together for lasting results.

This isn't true for everyone. For myself, at my worst, I was eating over 5000 calories a day. Obviously just exercising isn't going to cut it for me.

However, there are other people that slowly get fat eating 500 extra calories per day. If they add intense, regular and enjoyable exercise to their life they may be able to continue eating like that (barring other health concerns) without changing their diet, while still losing weight.

But yes, in general getting healthier is an entire lifestyle change, and the article does seem to cover that well enough.

It seems like a good article. Especially and specifically for someone that is on the internet constantly and is probably never going to look up working out themselves. Stumbling on that article and reading it could change someone's life.

...you can't outrun your fork.

Aaand I have a new slogan.

• Like 2

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!