Forums are back in action! ×

New Rebellion/Academy member, here's my story.

Hello, everyone.

My name's Eric, and I'm a 23 year old college student living in the Cincinnati area, attending the University of Cincinnati.

A little background:

I've spent the past four years attending another university in Indiana, studying music. Prior to that, I was extremely active in my high school's marching band, which meant I was in pretty good shape. Once I left for college, however, I didn't really have any experience exercising outside of that particular context, so I pretty much completely stopped. Other than the occasional spurt of activity from either activities with friends or a simple "I should start working out" thought, I've gone the past five years letting myself go. Now, other than the lack of activity, I didn't have the healthiest diet, since I ate what was most easily available.

Cut to now, I've abandoned my professional music ambitions, transferred here to study Economics, and moved in with my parents, who moved here to follow my father's job while I was off at college. I know essentially no one, spend all of my time between campus, a part time job working retail, and am rapidly developing some serious self-loathing for giving up on something that I had convinced myself was my calling. I could see that I was beginning to deteriorate, both physically and emotionally, so about a week ago I decided to make some changes.

I made some changes in my personal life that greatly assisted my mental state, and so I decided to try and get my body going, too. I found Nerd Fitness while searching for information about exercise routines, and the outlook espoused here really resonated with me. So I signed up for the academy and did my first tutorial bodyweight routine yesterday in the basement, where I'd have room to work.

I (mostly) made it through, but I was completely exhausted and had trouble making it back up the stairs. So now I know where I am, and I have a plan for where I want to go, and now I've joined this forum, with the hope that I might develop a support community to help me achieve my goals, and maybe I can help out a little, too.

The last thing I'd like to add is that the Nerd Fitness Academy is exactly what I've been looking for for as long as I've been trying to get into regular strength training. Since I wasn't an "athlete" while I was in school, I never really used any gym facilities, nor did I have anyone teach me what to do. That, along with the overriding philosophy of small changes has really helped my outlook, at least in the short term, and I hope to continue.

From a fellow newbie - good luck brother. Keep at it, get amongst it and in a few years you'll be kicking ass and tacking names.

In regards to not knowing your way around a gym if you don't find someone local on here to help you out there is heaps of tutorials online, you;d be surprised just how many people in gyms will be happy to give you some pointers on your technique. If you see someone who knows what they are doing, and looks friendly, ask em to spot you and they will give you some good pointers. The worst thing is to hit the gym intimidated of the people and the equipment, and to never go back.

Prop_dude
Race: Shaved Wookie | Class: N/A

CHALLENGE GOALS

Run 6km in 30 minutes

0%
0%

5 fasted weight workouts a week

0%
0%

Drop 10kg

0%
0%

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Hey Lonely Fermata...

I'm a flautist. I did a 5 year music degree in Australia, and have had to take time off for mental health issues. Thought I would never be well enough to go back. Have just decided this semester that I have to. Music is a part of me, and I couldn't believe how empty my life has been without it.

Two thoughts - it's never too late to try again.

And, could you possibly do it recreationally/join a community orchestra/band/musicals/teach?

I know what it's like to have music in your life and be in such a rich and fertile environment and then have it taken away.

• Like 1

Chaotic Good Elans Adventurer

Level 2      STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 1

1st challenge
2nd challenge

Hail Lonely Fermata!  Which ever type of exercise you decide to do, learn to enjoy it and make it fun!  Keep at it and you will grow.  But be sure to know when to tap out.  Climbing a set of stairs when your legs are like jelly just isn't safe!  Good journey to you!

Take a deep breath, center, LEAP!