Forums are back in action! ×

Hello.

My name is Turkbroda.  I am a longtime Nerd/geek/Psychology professor.  I am in my early 40s. I have been fat all may life, but athleticly so...I was a wrestler, soccer player, backpacker, a wanna-be powerlifter and in general I was allways willing to try anything.  As I am getting older, I am finding myself becoming less physically capapble,  which is of course to be expected.

So I promptly started to change my life....hitting the gym...eating right..ect....which was quickly followed up with a bleeding retina.from deadlifting too much and a car accident which detached it.  

8 months and four sugeries later, I have been pronunced fit to go back to excersise.  But 8 months of enforced sloth has taken its toll.  So it will be an uphill climb. However, there is another fly in the ointment. I am, for the first time in a long long while anxious about excersise...afraid about the concquences of working out at the level I like to work out at.  If I am honest with myself, I am equally anxious about confronting the fact that I may be sliding into the type of excersise the "older people do"- which is not bad, but a little depressing.

So I am turning to my fellow nerds- hoping to get back the mojo and drive I used to have. Having a support network has always been the lynchpin for me...being a extreme extrovert. 

Anyway, I appriciate you all letting me get this off my chest.  Sometime it is easier to disclose to strangers than loved ones.

See you around,

Turkbroda

• Like 1

Turkbroda

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.â€-Frank Herbert, Dune

Welcome Turkbroda. Being over 40 myself I definitely find that I don't bounce back half as fast as I did as a younger man. I also understand about having to know the limitations of not be 20 or even 30. Have you thought about adding yoga to your workout? It really helps me recover the day after working out. 

This is definitely the a great place to find support and motivation.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

I am looking at yoga....I think it would be pretty useful to me. I need to improve flexibility and mobility.

Thanks for the encouragment.  I am looking forward to meeting other geeky types wo are trying to change thier life. 

Turkbroda

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.â€-Frank Herbert, Dune

Yoga is AWESOME.

Also, good luck.  I have a similar history, though i'm (very) glad it didn't involve bleeding retina... retinas.  retinae.  Whatever!

Good luck!

Yeah...I apparently had a defect in the eye which made me prone to it. The doctor was surprised that it did not happen sooner. 

So many people recommend yoga....I must be missing something. :) I will have to research some local studios....

Turkbroda

I just like it because... well, i'll be honest.

There's some eye candy involved.  I'm kind of a young buck, so... yeah.

Also, if you're an academy member, you do some yoga on the cooldown the recommend, and I do personally refer to planks as 'downward-facing bullshit'.

I don't think i really do much yoga, technically.