Forums are back in action! ×

Working out to classical music?

This is a weird question, but does anyone work out to classical music? I don't currently, but I think my superhero alter-ego Gilgamelissa probably would. Maybe pieces like Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No 3 1st movement. Unfortunately I was never a band nerd, and I'm not at all well-versed in classical music, though I've always wanted to be. If anyone would please point me in the right direction I'd be super stoked. Thanks ahead of time :)

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)

Guest Dirty Deads

I have in the past. I enjoy having some classical on my mp3. Especially stuff that has a big crescendo, It really helps build the workout intensity. I need to find some more stuff to put on mine.

While I can't say I work out to classical, as most of it ends up putting me to sleep. I do like music that has no singing to it, which is similar to classical... maybe.

That said, look up trailer music or epic music on youtube.

My favorite company is Two steps from hell.

You have slow music like

or much more upbeat music like

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I've associated classical music with working out ever since season two of Dexter when Debra Morgan had a relationship with an older man who listened to classical music all the time. There was a cool scene where she was running on a treadmill with headphones, listening to classical, and she just got transported. It was cool.

• Like 1

I don't yet have an MP3 player to take to the gym, so I currently work out to whatever pop crap they play on the overhead system.

That said, I definitely like classical, so I can see me listening to it during a workout.  I absolutely love Vivaldi's Four Seasons. All the movements, all 4 seasons.  The whole thing just kicks ass.  

Also I enjoy film scores as well.  Obviously Star Wars, but lots of other movies have surprisingly good scores.  Mona Lisa Overdrive from The Matrix Reloaded is excellent.

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I don't yet have an MP3 player to take to the gym, so I currently work out to whatever pop crap they play on the overhead system.

That said, I definitely like classical, so I can see me listening to it during a workout.  I absolutely love Vivaldi's Four Seasons. All the movements, all 4 seasons.  The whole thing just kicks ass.  

Also I enjoy film scores as well.  Obviously Star Wars, but lots of other movies have surprisingly good scores.  Mona Lisa Overdrive from The Matrix Reloaded is excellent.

EDIT: how the hell do I delete a double post?

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

While I can't say I work out to classical, as most of it ends up putting me to sleep. I do like music that has no singing to it, which is similar to classical... maybe.

That said, look up trailer music or epic music on youtube.

My favorite company is Two steps from hell.

You have slow music like

or much more upbeat music like

Invincible is probably one of my most played albums. You, my friend, have good taste

As far as classical is concered, try Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries, O Fortuna, or Hall of the Mountain King.

Also, I sometime lift to this, just to get used to the sound when I am crowned Emperor (skip to 9:30 for the best part)

"Vivere Militare est" Seneca

"If man makes it, don't eat it." Jack Lalanne

I'm a big fan of movie scores. Some of my favorites are LotR, Star Wars, Last Samurai, and Spirited Away. (But any good action movie (i.e. We Were Soldiers, Gladiator, Braveheart) should have an equally good soundtrack. Plus they usually have that emotional connection to "epicness" that could help you through a tough workout.)

Alternatively, try typing "Classical Workout" into Spotify or Pandora. They already have some playlists made up for this! :) (Songs include "In the Hall of the Mountain King", "Dies irae - Tuba mirum", and "Can Can" from "Orpheus in the Underworld".)

• Like 1

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Invincible is probably one of my most played albums. You, my friend, have good taste

As far as classical is concered, try Wagner's Ride of the Valkeries, O Fortuna, or Hall of the Mountain King.

Also, I sometime lift to this, just to get used to the sound when I am crowned Emperor (skip to 9:30 for the best part)

Why thank you, I like to think so myself. Only problem is there's now nothing on the radio...

All three you mentioned are good, O Fortuna more so since I like more bass heavy stuff, Mountain King though is taken a step further by TSO 

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My brother in law works out to classical stuff and other instrumentals. Says it gives him more focus because there are no lyrics to distract him. 

I thought it would make me feel like I was in a movie...

One song had some spaced out bass hits that made me think I should be in a montage piece doing a different workout every time that beat hit...

Glingaerben the Wood Elf

Level 1 Ranger Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: #1, 2

Battle Log

My brother in law works out to classical stuff and other instrumentals. Says it gives him more focus because there are no lyrics to distract him. 

I thought it would make me feel like I was in a movie...

One song had some spaced out bass hits that made me think I should be in a montage piece doing a different workout every time that beat hit...

That's half the reason I listen to it at work, it also has more feeling in it than the current crop of music that's popular.

There's been more than one time I've had a movie play through in my head imagining what the scene would be like given the current song that's playing.

• Like 1

My first challenge

D'Wife were in the pool a while ago, and the Lifeguard was blasting some crazy Russian Death Metal ... It was far more than a little distracing

I can listen to death metal but I sure don't want to work out to it. It just lacks something when you are out on a run or lifting. Now if I was boxing or something I might reconsider.

I'm in the same boat, though I'd lean towards Metalcore.  

That being said, give Classical a try.  It really isn't bad.  

Lol I love metalcore but only a hand full I find worth listening to while working out. I suppose if I was doing yoga or something then classical might fit the bill but usually I listen to it when I am writing personally. No real words to distract my train of thought, just soothing instrumentals.

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! You've been a great help.

Gilgamelissa

race: wood elf | class: assassin

str 5 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 3 | wis 0 | cha 0

"Mood? What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises — no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting." - Frank Herbert, Dune

logintroductionfirst challenge | second challenge | third challenge (current)