Forums are back in action! ×

Everyone is an expert

This probably should go under the "Annoying comments you hear all the time" thread but perhaps it deserves it's own thread...

There's a guy at work who claims to wake up at 4 AM and work out. Perhaps he does, but he also talks about "bulking" and goes to Whataburger. He's kind of like that bro Dom in those videos, but he's actually serious instead of making fun of himself. Note: there's nothing wrong with bulking and eating Whataburger, but there is if the next week you're trying p90x, and then after that you're doing a lot of cardio. Pick one dude, and stick with it.

Today, a coworker from another office is in town to do some training and apparently he's lost 55lbs over the last few months (maybe since October?). Bro from above says, "whoa man you lost a ton of weight! Don't lose any more". And then a huge discussion began about diet and exercise. First, NEVER tell someone who has lost weight that they shouldn't lose any more. They have their own concept of what they want their body to look like and it's not up to anyone else. Second, nobody really asked the guy who lost weight what he did. And when they did, he just said he worked out and didn't eat carbs. And then everyone went off onto tangents about 2 hour workouts and all this BS.

My boss just cornered me in the kitchen and said "all these sweets around are driving me crazy!" There are cupcakes that have been hanging around for a few days. And I said, "so eat one". "No, I'm on a diet I just started." ... well then don't complain to me about how you want a cupcake. Eat it, or don't. And don't assign an emotion to food. It's just food!!!!

One thing that I've learned from trolling the Nerd Fitness boards is that there is NO ANSWER. There's not one magic trick, one weight loss secret, one muscle building secret. And you know what, if there was, everyone would do it. I'm just tired of hearing everyone's opinions about how you should eat low carb or you should do a lot of cardio or have one cheat meal a week or work out for 2 hours every day.

• Like 5

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

One thing that I've learned from trolling the Nerd Fitness boards is that there is NO ANSWER. There's not one magic trick, one weight loss secret, one muscle building secret. And you know what, if there was, everyone would do it. I'm just tired of hearing everyone's opinions about how you should eat low carb or you should do a lot of cardio or have one cheat meal a week or work out for 2 hours every day.

False! I have the secret magic trick right here! I'll sell it to you for only 25 payments of $300 each. :D 

/sarcasm

• Like 3

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

There's a guy at work who claims to wake up at 4 AM and work out. Perhaps he does, but he also talks about "bulking" and goes to Whataburger. He's kind of like that bro Dom in those videos, but he's actually serious instead of making fun of himself. Note: there's nothing wrong with bulking and eating Whataburger, but there is if the next week you're trying p90x, and then after that you're doing a lot of cardio. Pick one dude, and stick with it.

He sounds similar to me, a bit of goal and method ADD. I switch from focusing on perfect diet, to running, to cycling, to rock climbing, to paleo....

IF he is getting the results he wants from the methods he is taking who are we to judge. 

But I do agree with you about not telling someone that they have lost enough weight. I am becoming of the mindset of not commenting on weight at all, even when it is positive. 

Currently lost in Fitness.

While I do think that there are universal principles that must be adhered to when building muscle, losing weight, etc. there are many different ways to adhere to those principles and for some reason most people have not grasped that. Boggles the mind.

I think a lot of it depends on really specific things like body type and goals. But everyone wants to think their way is the best way. But what they don't realize is that their way is the best way for them based on their goals, their lifestyle, their current habits, etc.

Again, my favorite quote: Eyes on your own paper. Pay attention to what you're doing and less attention to what everyone else is doing.

He sounds similar to me, a bit of goal and method ADD. I switch from focusing on perfect diet, to running, to cycling, to rock climbing, to paleo....

IF he is getting the results he wants from the methods he is taking who are we to judge. 

But I do agree with you about not telling someone that they have lost enough weight. I am becoming of the mindset of not commenting on weight at all, even when it is positive. 

I have massive goal distraction, too. And that's okay. But it seems like he never gets the results he wants. And maybe that's why he keeps switching around because he's trying to find that diet and workout that clicks for him. That's okay, too. Everyone has to find their way. Just don't tell me I have to eat 6 meals a day and never eat carbs after lunch and take a rest day and do my cardio before strength training. While there probably is some solid advice in there, for the casual person, it really doesn't make a difference.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I'm all about finding sustainable habits. I did a whole life challenge last fall and I really liked it, but I also kind of treated it like training for a specific task. Like marathon training. You wouldn't run like you're training for a marathon all year round. So why would you eat like you're training for a fitness competition all year round? It's just not sustainable. For 8 weeks, sure. But I want to eat a turkey sandwich, dammit. And share a bottle of wine on a Saturday night with my special someone.

Waking up at 4 AM is probably sustainable for some people but it's just not for me. 5-5:30 is about the earliest I'll go because getting in bed at 9 is about as early as I can.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Great points.

But everyone wants to think their way is the best way. 

100%. I think part of the journey is realizing that what works for you doesn't work for everyone, and vice versa.

Plus, the goal ADD thing. One of my favorite quotes is from The Marauders:

"We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

Sometimes people (read: most of us) mistake that jumping from program to program as progress.

Level 6 Lycan Ranger                                                                                                   
STR 16 | DEX 3 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 9 | CHA 2 
Challenge the 6th: Irishrages prepares for the BAMF plane of existence
Irishrages' epic: Chapter 1 2 3 4 5
Preparation * Focus * Discipline

30%
30%

The expertise of some people extends beyond the realm of fitness apparently...

I had a coworker tell me the other day, when we were discussing my upcoming move, to make sure I had all my things packed and ready for when the movers arrive. Oh really? I should actually pack my house in boxes BEFORE the movers come? I shouldn't make them wait around on my dime while I pack? Wow, thanks for that epic piece of wisdom, oh great one.

/sarcasm

• Like 2

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The expertise of some people extends beyond the realm of fitness apparently...

I had a coworker tell me the other day, when we were discussing my upcoming move, to make sure I had all my things packed and ready for when the movers arrive. Oh really? I should actually pack my house in boxes BEFORE the movers come? I shouldn't make them wait around on my dime while I pack? Wow, thanks for that epic piece of wisdom, oh great one.

/sarcasm

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Today, a coworker from another office is in town to do some training and apparently he's lost 55lbs over the last few months (maybe since October?). Bro from above says, "whoa man you lost a ton of weight! Don't lose any more". And then a huge discussion began about diet and exercise. First, NEVER tell someone who has lost weight that they shouldn't lose any more. They have their own concept of what they want their body to look like and it's not up to anyone else. Second, nobody really asked the guy who lost weight what he did. And when they did, he just said he worked out and didn't eat carbs. And then everyone went off onto tangents about 2 hour workouts and all this BS.

Totally agree about the unnecessary comments.  Speaking form the perspective of someone who has been there, many people who lose a significant chunk of weight have some residual body image issues in their head to work through for a period of time after losing the weight, and this is a sensitive topic - the absolute last thing they need is judgement from others making their task harder.  The best thing you can do for someone in this situation(assuming there's no eating disorder/self-harm going on) is simply be happy for them and not cast judgement.  When I lost a bunch of weight I got this irritatingly often as well - thankfully the comments generally fade with time.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

One thing that I've learned from trolling the Nerd Fitness boards is that there is NO ANSWER. There's not one magic trick, one weight loss secret, one muscle building secret. And you know what, if there was, everyone would do it.

Actually there is. But its a not so secret, secret. Everyone looking for secrets is really just looking for an alternate to not have to do the not so secret secret.

The secret to success is consistent effort.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

That's probably a poor choice of words, but I get what you're saying

I get it from the other side;  I've been a Runner since mid-way through the last quarter of the previous Millennium and have flirted with Triathlon a time or two, people think that I have ALL the answers regrading endurance sports

Whenever someone asks me for Training advice, whether it's mileage or diet or equipment, I always reply "I don't know anything, I only know what's worked for me [and some shit I've just completely made up on my own] so don't take what I say as Gospel, OK?"

I didn't mean "troll" like an internet troll. I meant troll like what you do when you're fishing and just kind of puttering around, checking stuff out. Sorry for the confusion!

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5