Forums are back in action! ×

I am a 28 year old male who has tried many times to shed my extra weight. Usually I end up being discouraged because I stop losing weight or it just takes to long. However I decided I would try and change tactics this time. I decided one of the things I would like to accomplish before I die is to run a marathon. Ever since I was little I always wanted to try out for track or cross country but being the over weight kid I just knew I would never make the cut. Heck by sophmore year of high school running a mile was beyond my physical capabilities. Yet I can proudly say I can run a mile with no effort in these last couple years. Yet that is only due to me beating my head against a wall trying to lose weight.

Thus I decided to try my new method and just train to run. At the beginning of the year I started out pretty strong running 6 days a week and managed pretty well until I overused my knee and it forced me to sit back and readjust my plan. So to try and nip that setback I decided to start simpler and just run a couch to 5k routine. Now I only really started this week and I can say compared to what I can do it feels slow but I know how I am and am just going to stick with it to avoid another knee injury. That and while the running is easier it seems like the perfect time to make sure I address any muscle weaknesses that may be present in my legs.

It is through this training that I hope to eventually break my low of 215 and eventually reach a target of 180. So far I can say I am more pumped than ever to hit the gym than I ever have been and can report the progress thus far has been in the right direction. To aid me in this journey to a marathon I am definitely making use of nerd fitnesses challenge system and have already signed up for my first challenge. Here is to nerd fitness and everyone here as I start my run towards a healthier life.

• Like 1

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

Welcome. I think the right tactics makes all the difference especially if something isn't working for you. Sounds like you have some great goals and know how you want to get there. I look forward to reading about your experience.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

If it wasn't long term then I would be cheating myself out of quite a few bucket list items. Not to mention should I eventually have kids it would be nice to have the ability to keep up with them when I get older. I think it would depress me if my kid wanted to play ball with his old man and I had to tell him no because daddy can't run around like that anymore.

• Like 2

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

Yeah, there's waaaay too much good stuff out there to miss out because of something as stupid as being overweight. <--- not a dig btw, personal experience. I've lost over 50lbs myself, and can't believe I ever let it get that bad. NEVER AGAIN! ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

If it wasn't long term then I would be cheating myself out of quite a few bucket list items. Not to mention should I eventually have kids it would be nice to have the ability to keep up with them when I get older. I think it would depress me if my kid wanted to play ball with his old man and I had to tell him no because daddy can't run around like that anymore.

Keeping up with kids is one of my big motivations. Luckily you are still in your 20's, being just over 40 and planning for kids is daunting.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

Go for it and good luck,

In my early 40's I was a gym rat and run a few marathons, it was great to be able to keep up with my kids.

A moment of honesty here, it was also SMUGTASTIC to be able to run rings around other parents as well, lol.

Still by my 50's I doubt I could have run a bath.

So go for it, you know it makes sense.

• Like 1

It's never to late to be the person you always wanted to be.

The voice in your head telling you that you can't do it is a damn liar.

Endorphins, the best high you can have.