Forums are back in action! ×

Reintroducing myself to the Rebellion - NF Take 2

Hi again everyone.  I joined Nerd Fitness last year, everything was going hunky dory, then I fell flat on my face (figuratively, not literally) because I tried to do too much too soon and really had a hard time making my better habits stick.  After doing some soul searching I realized that I also wasn't as ready as I thought I was to committ to eating well and exercising to keep in shape so I put that aside for a while and am finally getting around to doing this right from the get go!

So, to quote Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear, "I'm back!"  *insert happy dance here* :strawberry:

This time around, rather than trying to tackle everything at once, I'm taking baby steps to make my changes and doing things my way to create and build the positive habits.  I'm also thinking of what I used to enjoy doing as a kid for exercise and trying to translate that into activities I can do as an adult to get fit.  I went and dug my bicycle out of storage and I'm getting ready to tune that bad boy up and get it ready for spring.  I'm also researching the fine art of distance running while the weather here in Vermont is still too cold for my liking and I'm too cheap for a gym membership.

I'm waiting for the OK from my doctor this time around as well since I have a couple of nagging issues I would like to address before embarking on any sort of fitness journey.  My knees tend to ache a lot when I run and I have flat feet so I want to check those out again before I start running and I have a nagging issue in my right shoulder that causes issues when I lift dumbbells so I want to double check and make sure nothing major is going on before dusting off the weights again.

It's too late to go from couch potato to marathon runner in a few weeks, especially when I haven't been cleared to work out yet, but one of my goals for next year is to run in my hometown half marathon in 2015.

And since this website is called Nerd Fitness: My favorite nerdy things include Doctor Who, Star Trek (although I think I'm about the only person who didn't like DS9), reading self help books for fun, trying to fix my own stuff whenever possible, listening to rock music in foreign languages (I've developed an appreciation for some of the rock music that comes out of Finland and Italy), and learning words in other languages (I was very proud of myself I figured out how to say "Excuse me" in Polish).  My other nerdy passion is cars and I recently discovered in the past year the wonder that is Formula One.  I could never really get into auto racing in general in the past, however F1 can be really geeky simply from the technology and design aspect.  I'll be rooting for two F1 teams this year: Scuderia Ferrari and whoever beats the Red Bull team.

• Like 1

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Haha! :D Whoever beats Red Bull - priceless!

Glad to hear you learnt from your mistakes last time round. We all fall down at times, the trick is just to keep on getting back up, and back into the fight.

And no... You're not the only one who doesn't like DS9. ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

The funny thing is, I really don't have a problem with the Red Bull team or their drivers, they've just won too damn much so it would be nice to see a change!

And I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who couldn't get into DS9. I seriously tried twice to watch it and always wound up finding something more interesting to watch after about 5 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Welcome back to the rebellion. Its better to build a good foundation with small steps then to try jump all the way into something extreme and hurting yourself. All the little steps add up to much more than you realize as you are doing them. 

I have tried to watch formula one racing with my 75 yr old buddhist aunt who LOVES it, I just couldn't get into it. Nor could I get into DS9.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

One thing that makes F1 really boring is when the same driver and/or team keeps winning all the races. Don't get me wrong, good on them for figuring out the magic formula, but it's a nice change of pace when other people actually win for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk