Forums are back in action! ×

In need of a good fitness community (friends)

I'm Robert... former soccer player and martial artist. My two best friends and I were always working out together and training, but they've started running with another crowd, and have made some pretty unhealthy lifestyle changes. So now it's just me. My town is really small, and I don't have any fitness friends to hold me accountable or help me with questions I have. After finding Nerd Fitness, I figured this would be a good place to find some support.

I'm only 5'5, but weigh 200 pounds. I carry it okay, most people don't think of me as being out of shape, but man I feel it. I used to be able to do back tucks, tornado kicks, and all kinds of athletic stuff. But after a 4 or 5 year break from all that, I've gone down hill. Basically what I need help with is nutrition. I'll be doing a bunch of research on this site, but for the sake of my intro, here's what I'm starting tomorrow: Cutting out fast food, processed foods, refined sugars... and adjusting to chicken breasts, boiled eggs, almonds, lots of broccoli, and plenty of water. Now of course a person will go crazy with only this food after a few days... so if you got a few suggestions of what else I should throw in there, let me know. I use whey protein twice a day, and am currently reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

Apart from nutrition. here's what I plan to do: Plenty of bodybuilding... focusing on compound movements, with low reps. Jogging 3-4 times a week for about 20 minutes, mainly to relax and listen to music. Start shooting ball on the goal outside my house. I've taken my "before" picture, but don't want to upload anything until I've made some changes. Feel free to ask me anything, and thanks for letting me in.

PS... I love Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. And even though I'm a fan of Starwars, nothing beats the hilarious review that Plinkett from redlettermedia did of the Phantom Menace. lol

• Like 2

Food suggestions: Other nuts and seeds, other veggies! Berries are also good. I'm a huge fan of collards and kale myself when it comes to veggies (although I lose my southern card for not cooking them with tons of pork and fat, LOL). 

Welcome to NF! I can relate to getting out of shape and not having a lot of offline support, but I hope being here helps that! Good luck.

• Like 1

Hope

LEVEL 0 | DEEP DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Backstory |  Facebook || Challenges: 

"Certainty of death...small chance of success...what are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Well, you came to the right place. This isn't a forum, it's a community, and you will definitely get the help and support you're looking for from the members here. I'm on the forum loads so if you start a daily log you can send me a pm, and I'll sub you to help keep you motivated. I have a LOT of time on my hands ;)

For food suggestions there's an EPIC thread called "Shit warriors eat" that is definitely worth checking out. Not an educational thread tho, more of a "Look at my AWESOME pile of MAN FOOD!!!" kinda thing. ;)

I like James Duigan's book Clean and Lean Diet, it really breaks things down into easy to understand categories and isn't too complex (some of them are waaaay too in depth)

The workouts sound good, but then I love the iron anyways, and the biggest piece of advice I'd give would be to take photos, which you've already done.

Nice start man. See you around :D

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously