Forums are back in action! ×

Stress Relief?

I do some semi-meditation which works well for me. First I imagine a place where I'm calm, and you really have to try to feel how it is to be there. For example if your calm place is in the pool, try to imagine how the water feels. Then imagine the stress pouring out of you starting at the head the running down and out the arms, and finally down out the legs. Might be a bad description and sound silly but it works for me ( I get a minor tick in my left eye when I'm stressed, it's almost impossible to see but it bothers the living shit out of me. This actually helps and stops the tick ). :)

edit: yeiy my nr 100 post!

yoga might work. not sure if you've ever done yoga or are open to the idea, but the whole point (from a mental standpoint) of class is to show up and focus on yourself for the whole session. typically you need to clear your mind and only think about the movements you're making, being totally in the moment. it's a good way to shift your focus and get your mind off of the stressful stuff for a while. i can't emphasize enough the peace it can bring to a stressful mind. plus, you'll look good :-)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

I do a couple things...

1) find some sort of hobby. I read a LOT of books when I'm stressed.

2) Sleep. I need to sleep. Even if I take melatonin, I need to make sure I get some.

3) Adequate nutrient intake. When I'm stressed, I double up on the fish oil, and make sure I'm getting enough magnesium (I take natural calm). Seems to help the most.

4) Try to confront the problem. It'll eat away at me mentally unless I find some sort of way to deal with it. That might involve planning on paper, talking to people, or taking steps to make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

I'm not sure if I have the patience or focus for meditation or yoga but I like the sound of kickboxing or something. Right now when I go to the gym I feel good but I still don't have the form to get that same stress relief that a killer workout gives me. I end up just feeling tired but still worried about the problems immediatly after. Once I get proper form down I'm going to step up my workouts so I can get that endorphin high. I'm trying to expand on hanging out with more people but its only the first week of college so I'm still trying to adjust. Also the 5 to 1 guy to girl ratio kinda sucks here...

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

Interval sprinting works wonders for me. When I start sprinting, I think about whatever happens to be making me stressed, and let the emotions take over, and just SPRINT, All out go, 110%. Not only does it help me feel better, but the emotions help me sprint farther and faster..It's kind of cool. Then after I do my intervals, I finally fumble back into my house, exhausted and covered in sweat, I feel much better. Sprints are an easy way to get an endorphin high :)

It takes about 20 seconds. If you don't have patience for that. Perhaps that's why you're stressing so much ?

I have the patience for it except I'm not sure where my happy place is right now. But I'll give it some thought and give it a try.

Oh and Clawed Bear I am currently looking for new hobbies because my current ones (Archery, shooting, plastic model building, etc) are not really possible to do while down at college. However, I am trying out new things such as racquetball and will be joining my schools shooting team when it starts up. Right now I just need to get over this and move on and time is the biggest helper there so I just need to stay focused and let some time pass.

Thanks again for all the advice :)

Really, if you're stressed, the first thing you should try to do is fix the thing that's stressing you. If you don't have a whole lot of time, then that is what needs to be fixed. If you don't have one completely free day in your week,then you should have one. Man is not meant to be busy ALL THE TIME.

Same goes with things with your ex. Solve the issue, rather than avoid it.

Exercise, yoga, activities, etc. are all really good ways of getting rid of stress when there's nothing you can do about the cause of your stress. But if there is something that you can do to fix the stress, then DO IT. Getting rid of stress is, well, the best way to deal with stress. Otherwise you're just running away from your problems.

My stress reducer is spinning, not spinning on a bike, spinning thread from wool :-) Other ones that work well for me include knitting, sewing, weaving, and working on my scrapbooks. For me stress is much reduced if I think I've gotten something done. Being able to pick up the skein of yarn that I made gives me a tangible way to measure the stress reduction too. Early on it will be overspun and uneven. As the stress leaves the yarn gets more even and balanced, just like me.

Might fins some sort of hand work or craft you can do that gives you the same feeling of accomplishment and see if that helps.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

It takes about 20 seconds. If you don't have patience for that. Perhaps that's why you're stressing so much ?

Well I tried it out and it was nice during those 20 seconds but pretty much right after I felt just as I had before.

4 mins of tabata sprints was nice and definitely distracted me and made me feel better.

I'm doing much better now, just every now and then I have some bad times. Working to minimize those times.