Forums are back in action! ×

Hello.  This will be my third try here at Nerd Fitness.  I didn't succeed the last two times I tried challenges here, but I've made some progress in my life in the last year, and I'm hoping to bring that to the board starting now.  And I mean NOW now, not then, we passed it.  When?  Just now.  We're at NOW now.

The last few times I had serious intimidation problems when it came to working out.  I made excuse after excuse.  I didn't have the right equipment, time, money, blah blah blah.  We've heard it all before.

I did succeed in one goal I made during my last fitness challenge - I made it back go school!  40 years old and just starting down the road to getting a degree in Anthropology.  I'll be near 50 once I get my masters, but I'm not letting that thought deter me.  Last semester I got a 4.0 gpa.  This semester I'm busting my butt to try and maintain Dean's List.

My partner bought me a membership at Planet Fitness, which is right up the street, and affordable enough that the three of us can go work out as a family (he, myself, and his fourteen year old daughter).  I've seen the complaints on here about PF, but I can safely say that this particular PF *does indeed* have a squat rack.  I'll be meeting with one of their trainers sometime soon and working on how to get myself on track.

I was at the gym yesterday, and... I really enjoyed myself.  A little sore today, but it feels good.  I'm enthusiastic about going back.

I need to re-examine my diet, because going back to school has me eating a lot of junk food, and drinking soda again.  I'm switching things back to waters and 100% juices, smoothies and tea.  Already got most of the HFCS out of my diet, once soda is gone, that should be the last of it.

So there you have it.  The excuses are gone.  I've started fresh, and I'm ready for more!

Me: 5'7", 186 lbs, Men's size 38" or Women's size 16.

Goal: 145lbs.

• Like 2

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

Guest Dirty Deads

Woot! LOVE the Spaceballs theme here! Don't let people talk down to you about PF, it's a great place to start for many. And 3 people can workout for 30 a month, so you can't complain.

I admire the school thing. I've been afraid to go back for what I'd love to because I'd be mid 40's when done. I may just make it a goal though :)

Soda is a hard kick...I'm off it about a year this month and it's been a struggle. With your food choices, just remember to get the soup, not the special and always utilize Yogurt!

I <3 yogurt.  We combine yogurt, oatmeal and fruit to make smoothies here, and even the 14 year old will drink them!

We actually got a pretty good deal on the cost of the membership.  I got mine for $99/yr (instead of $10/mo) and he got the black membership so he could bring his daughter in as a guest.  So it worked out well for us.

Now I just need to balance gym time and school time.  I really hope I grow to love going to the gym.  I don't want to lose this feeling of enthusiasm. 

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Guest Dirty Deads

Sounds like a great smoothie. I make my yogurt a gallon at a time, so I should be trying many different ones.

You will lose the enthusiasm if you don't have the proper rewards/support structure set up. Never let yourself talk you out of going. Make your workouts scheduled, just like class. If you don't show up, you don't pass.

Oh no!! What kind of tea?! I have some Mexican sweet chili tea that wouldn't feel so good in the ol' sinuses.

Woo! Welcome to now!

I've got a no-soda component to my challenge as well. Right there with ya! /clinks tea glass

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Woot! LOVE the Spaceballs theme here! Don't let people talk down to you about PF, it's a great place to start for many. And 3 people can workout for 30 a month, so you can't complain.

I admire the school thing. I've been afraid to go back for what I'd love to because I'd be mid 40's when done. I may just make it a goal though :)

Soda is a hard kick...I'm off it about a year this month and it's been a struggle. With your food choices, just remember to get the soup, not the special and always utilize Yogurt!

Sooner you get started, the sooner you get it over with...  and mid 40s is hardly old. So git'er done..

Deja... if it helps, I'm doing work and school full time (16 hours day, 3 days in a row isn't unheard of), and once I got went paleo, I felt better the entire day, and after I got rid of soda and energy drinks, I had more energy than I've had in years, even on 6 hours of sleep a night.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Thanks, insanity!  My partner is doing the same thing, working full time and attending classes full time.  The last challenge I tried last year I succeeded at about 50% paleo, but I'm not a big meat eater, so it doesn't work very well for me.  What I did succeed at felt pretty damned good!  I need to get more whole foods in my fridge - veggies and fruits, organics, etc.  We're due to go grocery shopping, and now that the whole family is finally getting into the fitness thing, maybe they'll start making some smarter food choices too!

~ Buddha