Forums are back in action! ×

Off-Day Training

Right now I am on Week 3 of a body weight routine that is comprised of 2 sets of:

Squats - 30

Pushups - 15

Lunges - 20

Dumbbell Rows - 15/arm

Plank - 20 sec

Inverted Chin Up Rows - 10

Jumping Jacks - 30

This week I will be adding a third set to the mix and do this every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

What I am not sure about is what type of routine to do on my "off" or "rest" days. What sort of exercises should I be looking at to round out my training? I generally only have 30-40 minutes each day to workout before I have to leave for work, so I'm looking for thing that I can do in/around my house.

Cheers!

Anything you enjoy... Maybe some cardio intervals and/or yoga?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Never underestimate the power of a long walk.

I love the neighborhood I live in, but I'm not sure walking alone at 5am is the best/safest idea.

Anything you enjoy... Maybe some cardio intervals and/or yoga?

The problem is I hate just running. I've tried distance running and interval training, but with both I run into the same problem. I just get bored very quickly. What I enjoy is competitive sports such as soccer, which I play 1-2 times a week, but doesn't help me with my off day morning workouts.

My initial thoughts were to start trying to do some Parkour training, but I have no idea where I would begin on that.

I hate running, too. Passionately. So, those don't work for me, either. Fortunately, I get my cardio endurance from sport activities.

You could look up some not so body weight intense cardio style activities and create a circuit to do instead of running. Something like mountain climbers, jumping jacks, skipping rope, etc. OR, you could do a skipping routine. Start by just skipping, then high knees, then skipping, then rope jacks, skipping, criss cross the legs side to side, skipping, split jump.. etc. OR, just pick one of these and do it in 30 second intervals with regular skipping. Sometimes, at the beginning of class I have people skip to warm up then we do 30 seconds of high knees and regular skipping (you can change the intervals to match whatever you can/want to do).

Or.. Parkour! hahaha I know basically nothing about it but I bet you'll find some good info on here. I've seen people talking a lot about it.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

you play football (that's what it's called!!!!!! foot hits ball... FOOTBALL, don't particularly like the game but still :P) 1-2 times a week and you're not counting that as any sort of workout? that's perfect for in-between workout days

Haha, yes it is football, but remember most people here are American so if I just said Football they would be confused :P

I do count my matches as part of my workout, but for the fall season they don't fall on my "off days" as I play Mondays as well as some Sundays. I don't want to completely take Tuesdays and Thursdays off so I've been trying to come up with some alternate workouts to do.

I hate running, too. Passionately. So, those don't work for me, either. Fortunately, I get my cardio endurance from sport activities.

You could look up some not so body weight intense cardio style activities and create a circuit to do instead of running. Something like mountain climbers, jumping jacks, skipping rope, etc. OR, you could do a skipping routine. Start by just skipping, then high knees, then skipping, then rope jacks, skipping, criss cross the legs side to side, skipping, split jump.. etc. OR, just pick one of these and do it in 30 second intervals with regular skipping. Sometimes, at the beginning of class I have people skip to warm up then we do 30 seconds of high knees and regular skipping (you can change the intervals to match whatever you can/want to do).

Or.. Parkour! hahaha I know basically nothing about it but I bet you'll find some good info on here. I've seen people talking a lot about it.

Sports are what I get most of my cardio from as well (see above: soccer/football). I like the idea of the skipping routine though. I will have to look into that!

As for Parkour, I've always had an interest in it, but never knew where to start.

I love the neighborhood I live in, but I'm not sure walking alone at 5am is the best/safest idea.

5am is actually one of the safest times ever. you'll be fine. go for a walk :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”