Forums are back in action! ×

High School is over. No more excuses.

Hello all, from 18 year old girl from Australia here :) 

I graduated from year 12 last year, and my life until then has been absolutely sedentary. As the baby girl of the family my brothers spoiled me (I know. I'm sorry). My stack of ps2 games grew so long as I studied hard and get good marks (living up the stereotype - I'm Asian). And so I grew to despise sport at school. Any form of physical exercise was mentally painful. And so by the time I got to year 10, I was living on Coca-cola. I slowed down on the Coke eventually but it was still apart of my diet by the time I was doing my final exams in year 12. I was eating pie and other junk from the canteen daily. I wasn't overly overweight, but you know.. I was crazy unhealthy.

I would wear loose clothes so I could avoid showing my "fat rolls". I still kept clothes I wish i could wear, but i was just never bothered to make the effort to get there, using all of my studying time as an excuse to say "I don't have time to exercise" (THE ULTIMATE LIE IM SO SORRY). But high school is over. I needed to make changes to my lifestyle. 

However, even though I knew losing fat would be great, it wasnt enough to get me off my butt. But I straddled something that did. Biology.

I found the only reason i would ever consider changing my lifestyle was to take care of my health. In high school, I loved learning about cells, how they function, and when things make it tough for them to function. And I knew i was making it tough for my cells. (trying not to nerd-out here). But this was a starting point. I started getting my portion control underway, I cut out coke completely from my diet. And lost about 2 kilos (4 pounds?). And then at the end of January my brother decided to join the gym and encouraged the family to do so as well. He wanted to build muscle though...different goals but it helped me have the confidence to sign up for the gym as well. My friends do a "Get Fit Feb" thing annually where they cut out all junk food and exercise at least 3 times a week, and I signed up for the first time to help kickstart my changes. And I stuck to it right to the end and lost about 3-4 kilos (8 ish pounds?). I started with just pilates in the gym to fix my posture. It was alright but boring. many hours of research later (including here on Nerdfitness), i decided to switch to strength training. And i loved every bit of it. I'm 2-3 months in since my starting point now. I'm at 52 kilos from 59. I've been getting a lot of compliments and now can wear a lot more of the clothes I had without worrying about the fat rolls and it feels AWESOME.

My goal now is to cut out a few more percentages of body fat and lifting heavier. I still got a bit of jiggle i want to get rid of hehehehe

Nerdfitness has helped me on so many levels (especially Staci's story. YOU GO GIRL) and so i wanted to become a part of this beautiful community :) 

• Like 2

Today, I want to be better than I was yesterday... so that I'm ready for tomorrow.

Great job on the weight loss so far and feeling of success :)

It's so true that you are very lucky to have realised so early on how important it is to  stay healthy. You are also at an age where you have time to really get amazing results if that is what you want.

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge