Forums are back in action! ×

Can/Should I go gym tonight? Or just Rest?

Hey

I have just started SL5x5 and have been gym both Saturday and yesterday/Sunday. I enjoyed it!

I want to go gym tonight as I feel fit and strong. And also very motivated!

Basically I have just been discussing with a friend - I have a lot of weight to lose and my friend wants to add some weight..

So for the month of April we have set each other some goals.

He want to add 4kgs / I want to lose 4kgs although I would love to double that! (I am obese so have lots to lose!)

So my question is can/should I go gym tonight? Or just Rest?

Even if I don't do SL5x5 would I be OK on the Tread Mill / Bike / Cross Trainer (Elliptical) or even swimming to help shred some fat weight?

I don't want to upset my SL5x5 of course..

Thanks Rob

Only you can make the change.

You shouldn't do SL5x5 on back to back days.  Give your body at a least a day's rest in between sessions.  That doesn't mean you need to resign yourself to doing nothing, though; in fact, it'd help your goals immensely if you did cardio on most days of the week.  If you could work up to 30min of biking/jogging/swimming/what have you 4 days of the week or more, you'd be reaping more benefits than just fat loss.

Keep in mind, fat loss is about calorie deficits.  To shed fat, you need to consume fewer calories than you burn.  Exercise - lifting, cardio - certainly helps with the calorie burn, but ultimately your diet is the big factor here.  It's so much easier to cut a few hundred calories from your meals than it is to burn the same amount via exercise.  Make sure you don't fall into the mental trap of "I'm working out a lot now, so I can eat X."  That's how you spin your wheels!

To monitor your progress, I'd rely on tape measurements a little more than the scale.  By all means, track your overall weight and monitor your BMI, but understand that the strength training is going to add some lean mass.  Taking a measurement across your stomach will be a more reliable indicator of how your body composition is changing.

4kg in a month is doable, but it'll require very strong habits.  As a beginner, your goal right now is to ease into those habits and set the groundwork for the journey ahead.  If at the end of April you did not lose 4kg but you did find your discipline, then you can say you succeeded.

• Like 2