Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness while pregnant

Ok, so some of you around the boards may have noticed that I disappeared a few weeks back. I had no energy. Took a blood test to find out why. They called me the next day to ask if I knew I was pregnant. I haven't told friends and family, or gotten emotionally invested (other than being terrified) yet in case it's a false positive or something goes wrong (very common early on).

I figured children were in my future, but maybe a little further out. Nope, it's now. Life's funny huh?

So, I have done zero research on fitness during pregnancy. Any ideas where I can start? I know we have parents on the boards. Any advice from them?

Obviously I'm going to have to clean up my eating habits and I will be asking my doctor copious questions about what exercises are and are not safe, but I think right now I just need good leads on how do to some independent reading. (Words of encouragement are also welcome, you know because of the whole being terrified thing.)

http://www.healthyguts.net/2011/08/25/pregnant-my-experience-as-a-crossfit-mom/

I read this yesterday or the day before and was pretty impressed. I know my mom was playing co-ed softball while she was pregnant with me... up until the 7 month when she couldn't work around the belly anymore. :)

Level 1 Ranger in Training

Current Challenge

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.

-- Jack London

Also, check out the Fitnessista's blog: http://fitnessista.com/

She's been pregnant for the past few months, but still does weight training, etc., she just has changed a few details of her workout/diet to suit her new needs.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

I just found http://www.crossfitmom.com/, which gives advice on scaling the crossfit WOD's to your pregnancy based on trimester and ability. The only thing I've ever heard from doctors is if you already have a fitness routine, it's fine to keep it up with intensity declining as the pregnancy advances. This isn't the time to make major advances but keeping up maintenance and preparing for post-partum.

My 1st 6-week Challenge -- B-

Angry Birds Workout -- Level 3 in Squats & Rows, Level 2 in Pushups and Planks

LynnyLee! I don't have any advice, but I did want to pop in and say Congratulations!! That's gonna be one crazy belly-dancing gifted kid!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

http://fitnessista.com/

Gina is a fitness instructor/trainer who is also pregnant.. she has some workouts she's done while preggo. She basically hasn't stopped doing anything..

She also has a sweat tank that says 'Sweating for two.'

If you e-mail her she can give you advice as well.

I know that most people say as long as you were working out prior to being preggo to keep doing it.. Although depending on the type of lifting you were doing you might need to scale it back... also jumping around isn't good. but I do know that there were 4 girls at my gym preggo and all worked out until they popped.

CONGRATS!

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

OMG Lynny, CONGRADULATIONS!!! That's going to be one lucky kid - I can't imagine a kinder and more positive person than you. :)

I'm quite certain you know, but belly dancing is kind of awesome for pregnant women. There may be specialty classes offered around you (I've also seen pregnant yoga classes, which I would recommend to stretch loose joints safely. But me recommending yoga is a given :P), or you could order one of the 6 videos offered on Amazon.

Theres actually lots of at-home workouts for pregnancy on amazon, if you are interested. Though as already mentioned, you really only have to worry about those last few months.

All that said... So exciting!!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

OMG Lynny, CONGRADULATIONS!!! That's going to be one lucky kid - I can't imagine a kinder and more positive person than you. :)

+10000000000000000000

congrats congrats congrats!

i have zero personal experience on the topic so cant really chime in, but i do know that there are people who crossfit up until they give birth. (trust me, nothings more humbling than getting beaten by 'the pregnant lady')

again. congrats. yay!

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Hey congratulations! Pregnancy is a unique experience and time to be treasured. You may be freaked out now, as i was at 19, but you'll grow into.

The only thing I've ever heard from doctors is if you already have a fitness routine, it's fine to keep it up with intensity declining as the pregnancy advances. This isn't the time to make major advances but keeping up maintenance and preparing for post-partum.

I concur with what Rita had to say, that is pretty much the exact same thing the obstetrician advised my wife throughout her pregnancies, exercising and keeping yourself strong is the best and speediest way for post natal recovery and to minimise chances of post-natal depression. Endorphins and all that :D

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Guest Carjack

Eat well and get plenty of omega 3s.

Do some weight lifting so you'll be strong enough to choke out the doctors who will push useless operations, drugs and formulas on you every chance they get. Might want to bring a baseball bat to the hospital too.

E.g.:

Circumcision of boys is useless and will cause them to get crap in their urethra.

Artificial milk (especially soy) is pretty unhealthy.

As is sweetened baby food unless you want a little diabetic. See: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-feeding-primal-babies/

As is all video education targeted at small children.

Research everything.

Nutrition, hospital vs home/midwife, vaccines, safety.

Congratulations and welcome to the Dark Side - as I'm sure you've guessed, things will now change for good...something that you will hear 1000 times between now and the birth, but true nonetheless.

With regards to exercising while pregnant, I've heard of people doing fitness of all descriptions, especially up to the end of the second trimester...beyond that, you're probably best to take it a little easier (your body will likey force you to anyways). Have a chat with your doctor, as they will likely have fitnes plans that they recommend.

I'm a dad of 2 and if there's one thing I can suggest from watching my wife go through it, it's to keep walking. If you work in a desk kob, you've got to really make the effort to move around as much as possible...

Best of luck!

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)