Forums are back in action! ×

The Pushup Quidditch Cup (Live Game Thread)

OK, so I've spent a bit of time reviewing the scores, etc so far, and think I've come up with a new set of rules for next week. I'd like your feedback before making them official though.

THESE RULES ARE FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY AND HAVEN'T BEEN IMPLEMENTED

Rule amendments:

1. No more caps
  2. There will be no more Seekers. At the end of the week, the team with the most points will be considered to have caught the Snitch, thereby ending the game.

Scoring Amendments

1. All players are required to do a 60 second AMRAP, using any pushup variation(s) before playing
  2. Each player's beginning AMRAP score will represent their 'scoring set'
  3. To score points, player must complete a full set equal to their Scoring Set value
  4. Each completed set is worth 10 points
  5. Keepers still offset points, Chasers still score points, and Beaters still choose who to offset against

Point Calculation Example

• Player BarefootDawsy has a 40 point AMRAP
  • During the game, BarefootDawsy completes 83 pushups
  • 83 / 40 = 2 sets completed = 20 points.
  • The remaining 3 pushups are lost if not used as part of a new set. BarefootDawsy could do an additional 17 pushups before the week is up to gain an additional 10 points for completing a set.
  • Note that sets of pushups do not need to be completed at once. The total number of pushups for the week will be the value used to calculate points.
  • Players who failed to do an AMRAP test will be assigned a score (at the moment 20 seems fair)

I've added a column to the spreadsheet called Testing Handicap for any of you who want to see how this calculates out using live points data.

Let me know if this makes any sense at all, of if you're all totally confused!

• Like 2

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Thanks for the spreadsheet.  My AMRAP was in the old thread as a pitiful 7 before having to stop :)

The new rules do look good!  I have a possible suggestion for a Golden Snitch rule.   The snitch is elusive and only caught by great speed, so I propose that each week the snitch appears once with a push-up requirement alongside it.  The first player to have done the push-ups, and post it in this thread, has caught the snitch and they receive 150 points!  Simples. Things to think about is:

• Everyone could potentially be a seeker when the snitch appears.
  • The snitch would have to appear at different times of the day and night each week in order to give everyone a chance, no matter their time zone.
  • In HP, the point value of the snitch should be whatever you think is reasonable, despite what the book says....
  • The push-up requirement could vary each week between easy and hard, since it is the speed that counts and that would give everyone a chance to catch it.
  • If you wanted to make it more interesting, then the snitch could appear for a limited about of time and if no one catches it then it goes away to return another day.
  • Each week, 2 people who are not playing against each other should be nominated to control the snitch for the others' match i.e. BarefootDawsy shouldn't be able to control the snitch in the current match, so someone from Gryffindor or Hufflepuff would have to do it.

Just an idea, no worries if you don't think it'll work in the next game or would complicate matters too much.

• Like 3

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Thanks for the spreadsheet.  My AMRAP was in the old thread as a pitiful 7 before having to stop :)

The new rules do look good!  I have a possible suggestion for a Golden Snitch rule.   The snitch is elusive and only caught by great speed, so I propose that each week the snitch appears once with a push-up requirement alongside it.  The first player to have done the push-ups, and post it in this thread, has caught the snitch and they receive 150 points!  Simples. Things to think about is:

• The snitch would have to appear at different times of the day and night each week in order to give everyone a chance, no matter their time zone.
  • In HP, the point value of the snitch should be whatever you think is reasonable, despite what the book says....
  • The push-up requirement could vary each week between easy and hard, since it is the speed that counts and that would give everyone a chance to catch it.
  • If you wanted to make it more interesting, then the snitch could appear for a limited about of time and if no one catches it then it goes away to return another day.
  • Each week, 2 people who are not playing against each other should be nominated to control the snitch for the others' match i.e. BarefootDawsy shouldn't be able to control the snitch in the current match, so someone from Gryffindor or Hufflepuff would have to do it.

Just an idea, no worries if you don't think it'll work in the next game or would complicate matters too much.

I think this is a really good idea  :encouragement:

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Thanks for the spreadsheet. My AMRAP was in the old thread as a pitiful 7 before having to stop :)

The new rules do look good! I have a possible suggestion for a Golden Snitch rule. The snitch is elusive and only caught by great speed, so I propose that each week the snitch appears once with a push-up requirement alongside it. The first player to have done the push-ups, and post it in this thread, has caught the snitch and they receive 150 points! Simples. Things to think about is:

I'm liking the way you're thinking, especially the "everyone's a seeker" idea and the pop-up snitch game idea. The tricky bit is making it fair for everyone.

One way we could do it would be to have everyone do a set of pushups of whatever amount they want under, say 30. Then we pick a random number between 1 and 30. If the number matches the amount of pushups they did, then they caught the snitch? Just spit-ballin' here.

Another possibilty is to tie it to the initial AMRAP again somehow?

dunno...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

30 Standard - 15.4. We will see how many I can do during my workout today.

For Gryffindor,

Last night, after travel, 24 more counter for 8 pts.

This morning, to make up for yesterday's lack. ..

1 standard = 1 point

10 knee =5 points.

For 6 more points.

Now to get my points for today. .. and I'm afraid my AMRAP will just cause me trouble to get my 100 points.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

What about using a random time generator?  Combine it with a more standard RNG to find out if the snitch appears today; say 1/6 monday, 2/6 tuesday, 3/6 wednesday, 4/6 thursday, 5/6 friday.  The snitch only appears once per game, but there's a chance it doesn't appear at all (so you can't just haunt the forums instead of doing your normal pushups).

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I'm liking the way you're thinking, especially the "everyone's a seeker" idea and the pop-up snitch game idea. The tricky bit is making it fair for everyone.

One way we could do it would be to have everyone do a set of pushups of whatever amount they want under, say 30. Then we pick a random number between 1 and 30. If the number matches the amount of pushups they did, then they caught the snitch? Just spit-ballin' here.

Another possibilty is to tie it to the initial AMRAP again somehow?

dunno...

The idea of making the challenge fair for everyone is a bit tricky.  I think Anim07734's idea of a random time generator is a good way to avoid time zone bias, although I would argue that the snitch needs to be caught each week, mostly because in quidditch the game can't end until the snitch is caught.  And I've appointed myself the quidditch police :tongue:   However if you find it too high, we could decrease the point value of the snitch?

I was thinking that the snitch-attached push-up challenge could be:

• Everyone's starting AMRAP + 10% for each week that has passed.   e.g. My AMRAP is 7 standard, but during the next match I would do AMRAP + 10% so I'd round up and do 8 (7.7) standard for the snitch.  The folowing match would be AMRAP + 20% (9 standard) and so on.

I quite like this approach since it would require theoretically the same effort from the weaker as from the stronger, it factors in that we should improve as the weeks go on, and it is still all about being quickest to post!

• Like 2

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

The idea of making the challenge fair for everyone is a bit tricky. I think Anim07734's idea of a random time generator is a good way to avoid time zone bias, although I would argue that the snitch needs to be caught each week, mostly because in quidditch the game can't end until the snitch is caught. And I'm appointed myself quidditch police :P However if you find it too high, we could decrease the point value of the snitch?

I was thinking that the snitch-attached push-up challenge could be:

• Everyone's starting AMRAP + 10% for each week that has passed. e.g. My AMRAP is 7 standard, but during the next match I would do AMRAP + 10% so I'd round up and do 8 (7.7) standard for the snitch. The folowing match would be AMRAP + 20% (9 standard) and so on.
I quite like this approach since it would require theoretically the same effort from the weaker as from the stronger, it factors in that we should improve as the weeks go on, and it is still all about being quickest to post!

I actually understood this! maybe my brain is starting to work again? Or I'm having a Junior moment! (as opposed to all those senior moments????) LOL

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Personally, the only rule change I would have liked to see was removing the caps. Just let everyone do what they can and play it out. 

Also, if we go with the new potential rules, I see no reason for a snitch. Again, I thought the rule of whichever seeker scored more points by the end got those points for their team. That makes sense to me in terms of this game and in quidditch itself. 

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

first off, I just realized that in HP the game does not end until the snitch is caught so I had that rule wrong in my head :P. Now I think that the original rules stick close to the HP version. That being said, I still would like to see less game weight on the snitch.

I really like using the AMRAP score to use as a divisor to equalize the playing field. Simple and easy.

how do you think the game would run if we still had a designated snitch but the snitch got points at half speed?

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I did 60 standard and 15 Diamond today.

I think it's really hard to balance it out so it's fair for everybody =/

OK, so I've spent a bit of time reviewing the scores, etc so far, and think I've come up with a new set of rules for next week. I'd like your feedback before making them official though.

THESE RULES ARE FOR TESTING PURPOSES ONLY AND HAVEN'T BEEN IMPLEMENTED

Rule amendments:

1. No more caps
  2. There will be no more Seekers. At the end of the week, the team with the most points will be considered to have caught the Snitch, thereby ending the game.

Scoring Amendments

1. All players are required to do a 60 second AMRAP, using any pushup variation(s) before playing
  2. Each player's beginning AMRAP score will represent their 'scoring set'
  3. To score points, player must complete a full set equal to their Scoring Set value
  4. Each completed set is worth 10 points
  5. Keepers still offset points, Chasers still score points, and Beaters still choose who to offset against

Point Calculation Example

• Player BarefootDawsy has a 40 point AMRAP
  • During the game, BarefootDawsy completes 83 pushups
  • 83 / 40 = 2 sets completed = 20 points.
  • The remaining 3 pushups are lost if not used as part of a new set. BarefootDawsy could do an additional 17 pushups before the week is up to gain an additional 10 points for completing a set.
  • Note that sets of pushups do not need to be completed at once. The total number of pushups for the week will be the value used to calculate points.
  • Players who failed to do an AMRAP test will be assigned a score (at the moment 20 seems fair)

I've added a column to the spreadsheet called Testing Handicap for any of you who want to see how this calculates out using live points data.

Let me know if this makes any sense at all, of if you're all totally confused!

Are we limited to the variation of pushups we do for the AMRAP?

I like to mix my pushups between regular and hindu and a few declines thrown in for good measure. Varying is a bit easier on the joints.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Personally, I'd say score everything like we have been and compare it to AMRAP. 'cause variety makes things more fun (and bearable).

My only complaint about the proposed system is that it looks like we'll be counting points by 10's (full AMRAP or nothing); could we round to the nearest whole point instead?  So (using your example) instead of having to complete the full 40 to score 10 pts, you'd get 1 point for every 4 pushups you did.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I think we're getting there! Random timer with an increasing AMRAP challenge and first to post - brilliant! As for points, I'm thinking maybe 100? It would be enough to give the winner a big advantage, but not so big as to make it no longer worth competing. What do you guys think?

I'll be internet-less for a couple days, so I won't be able to do any updating/etc unless I pass a wifi hotspot. Feel free to keep discussing and posting scores, etc, and I'll do the tally on Saturday Aussie time and do a post about next week's rules etc.

Also, the spreadsheet is up-to-date as of this moment.

See you soon!

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)