Forums are back in action! ×

[April 14 to May 30] Armstrong Pullup PVP

Hey, Thom. *Looks around* "Where did everybody go?"

Can't figure out if they decided they were so far ahead of us that it wasn't any fun to play or that our totally awesome progress, though we are only beginners, scared them off! :)

No matter what, we are doing what we came here to do!

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

I personally think it is the latter ShadowLion.

But then I am a Leo and prone to bouts of big headedness. :P

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

I personally think it is the latter ShadowLion.

But then I am a Leo and prone to bouts of big headedness. :tongue:

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Heh. Me, too. (On the reason, and the Leo-ness.) Bet you couldn't have guessed...

• Like 1

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Just checking in to see what action there has been, looks like you guys are doing really well :)

Keep flying the flag for me, still injured unfortunately, can't even do any barbell work but it's gradually improving and I'm seeing the physio again tomorrow so we'll see what he says. 

Great work on the negs Thom, that will really help you get there. Try hangs for as long as you can and holds for as long as you can (if you can!) at the top as well. Work at the bottom and the top is supposed to really help. 

Keep on truckin' :)

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Just checking in to see what action there has been, looks like you guys are doing really well :)

Keep flying the flag for me, still injured unfortunately, can't even do any barbell work but it's gradually improving and I'm seeing the physio again tomorrow so we'll see what he says. 

Great work on the negs Thom, that will really help you get there. Try hangs for as long as you can and holds for as long as you can (if you can!) at the top as well. Work at the bottom and the top is supposed to really help. 

Keep on truckin' :)

Sorry you're still hurting, but glad you are getting better! Good luck @ physio.

Week Three, skipped to Day 5 to get my workout days to fit my schedule better. Some modifications to ease load on sore right arm.

Pushups - One full pushup, and almost another, plus 2 negatives/12 knee/12 knee.

Pullups - 5 x 5 assisted. The changes to my setup are helpful. I took an extra rest day because I got my arm so sore on Wednesday. I'm did MUCH better tonight. Varied grips. Passed on the grip hangs and rows just to keep my arm on the healing path.

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I bombed out Friday, real life got in the way so didn't get the programme in. Such is life, Roll on Monday and knocking this on the head.

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Hey, Thom. *Looks around* "Where did everybody go?"

Can't figure out if they decided they were so far ahead of us that it wasn't any fun to play or that our totally awesome progress, though we are only beginners, scared them off! :)

No matter what, we are doing what we came here to do!

AHahaha, I dont mean to brag but right now I can do about 25, which is a slight decrease from earlier this year when I had to get stitches on my hand :)

Its always a pleasure to see people make progress on my favorite exercise.

AHahaha, I dont mean to brag but right now I can do about 25, which is a slight decrease from earlier this year when I had to get stitches on my hand :)

Its always a pleasure to see people make progress on my favorite exercise.

Real, honest-to-goodness pullups are a long ways off for me still, but they are an awesome exercise. Even with just doing assisted ones, I am seeing changes in my back and can feel the increased muscle in my back, chest and arms. Someday...

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

I'm on the injured list. My elbow is really giving me trouble and I am going to drop back and do lower body work and endurance for the rest of this challenge. :( Gotta let it heal up before I try again.

I do have one of those physical therapy "twist sticks" ordered and will report back on how they work. Hopeful.

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Had the lurgy and real life issues last week, so fell off the wagon. Got back into things this week though. 

Monday

Max Push ups 4, 7, 6

Pyramid Negatives 1, 2 +2

3 max Grip hangs 24, 30, 10

30kg rows 9, 9, 9, 9

Burpees 8

The week off really hurt my progress, particularly on the negatives. when I went for number 3 I couldn't slow my decent, which is what I consider the failure rep. 

Ah well, such is life, I will just keep plugging away at them until I can get my pull ups done.

• Like 1

RL issues slowed me up on week's 5 and 6. Such is life. I haven't successfully completed this PvP.

The "Flexbar" has been very helpful for my "Pullup Elbow." With regular work with that, and rest, my elbow is on the mend.

I guess my experience is not too unusual - according to Google - particularly among those who are older and trying to move a lot of weight. Ahem. My enthusiasm outran my commonsense. I learned the hard way that my muscles respond faster to training than my connective tissue does, given my age and weight...

The strategy from here on out is another couple of weeks of the PT and rest, then a very careful and gradual ramp back up on pushups first. Then add in assisted pullups and the rows. And continue to lose weight.

Hope this PVP runs again sometime. I really want to do it up right!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

You and I both Shadowlion. We need to have another go in a couple of challenges time. 

• Like 1

The "Flexbar" has been very helpful for my "Pullup Elbow." With regular work with that, and rest, my elbow is on the mend.

I guess my experience is not too unusual - according to Google - particularly among those who are older and trying to move a lot of weight. Ahem. My enthusiasm outran my commonsense. I learned the hard way that my muscles respond faster to training than my connective tissue does, given my age and weight...

The strategy from here on out is another couple of weeks of the PT and rest, then a very careful and gradual ramp back up on pushups first. Then add in assisted pullups and the rows. And continue to lose weight.

Hope this PVP runs again sometime. I really want to do it up right!

I'm also old(er - 39) than the average NF'er and suffered the same fate....tell me more about this Flexbar?

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

@ Endor

The background and theory

The exercise

I got my Flexbar on Amazon. It comes with a little booklet with a bunch of other exercises for grip, hand, and arm strength, too, which I am also doing. My grip strength has increased A LOT!

Hope this works as well for you as it has for me!

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir