Forums are back in action! ×

G'day, mate. (Okay, that was too much. I'm not even Australian...)

Hello!

So, as you may have guessed, I'm new here. I've been lurking in the shadows watching and reading the going-ons at Nerd Fitness for over a year now, and recently I just said 'Fuck it, I'm going to do it.'

That's correct, I actually had to decide to be awesome. Go figure. 

Since I was around 15 (I'm 20 now) I've been plagued by anxiety and panic and all of the nonsensical nonsense that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. Every time I tried to do something(college, a job, eating right), I've been hit with a particularly awful bout of anxiety and all my plans fail. Recently, it happened again. I had a flat in Edinburgh, a job doing something I love and friends around me, and within the space of a month I was back home, not eating or showering or leaving the house or talking to anyone, terrified of everything. That was a few months ago now, and I've cut the stress back, leaving myself with a clean slate as it were. 

It's time to start again. 

This time I am determined to not let anxiety get the better of me, to do things I wouldn't usually do, to get fit and strong, and to be the best I can possibly be. And I would be forever grateful if you could help me with it, I'm sure it will be needed. 

So, where do I start? 

Maenad Adventurer.

[sTR-0] [DEX-0] [sTA-0] [CON-0] [WIS-0] [CHA-0]

"Nothing is soft as water; yet, who can withstand the raging flood?"

current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/47588-its-going-to-be-legen-wait-for-it-dary

Hey Mordsithwithoutleather... stop trying to co-opt our unique Aussie charm!! You lost that right when you shipped us all off to a prison island!

Ok fine, you can be an honorary Australian, just promise never to use the word G'day ever again.

That having been said, anxiety attacks can be absolutely crippling. I know it is not available to everyone but have you tried seeing a therapist. I saw a therapist when I was having social anxiety issues (though my own issues were fairly mild) who gave me some great help using guided visualization. Not only did it help in the short term but it gave me something to apply to my everyday life that has helped me in the long term as well.

Best of luck with your journey, I'll keep an eye out for you on the challenge boards and the battle logs.

Hey Red Five,

I'm sorry we sent you all away, but you were criminals after all.... :P

Awesome, I can never say 'G'day' again, but do I get to still say 'Struth'?

Y'know, I've been referred for that by my doctor, but the waiting list is over 8 months and I didn't feel I could wait that long. I'm glad that it helped you though, I'll keep an eye out for you too.

'Sith

Hi Barfly,

Y'know, I've heard that very same thing :)

I want to (eventually) compete in a spartan race. I want to be the best I can possibly be, and keep it going for a length of time without giving it up as I usually do. 

Maenad Adventurer.

current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/47588-its-going-to-be-legen-wait-for-it-dary

Start a beginner's running program like Couch to 5k, look into something like the Beginning Body Weight Workout in the articles here and try to eat as clean as you can (at least cut out the junk). That'll be a good start for you.

Btw, what does 'struth' mean? I have enough trouble with another crazy Scots lass here without having to try and decipher another ;)

p.s. Never give up :D

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Awesome, I can never say 'G'day' again, but do I get to still say 'Struth'?

God damnit Neighbours has a lot to answer for. You know I have never heard an Australian that wasn't on TV use either of those two words.

An 8 month wait to be able to see a therapist is insane. The way modern medicine treats mental health issues is still appalling. Taking a first step to level up yourself is a great move to make on your own though and like Barfly said apparently exercise is great for stress and anxiety.

Red Five, I love how you didn't actually answer Barfly and tell him what Struth means :P

It's an exclamation, like 'Jesus!', if you follow. Although, maybe we only say that here .

Anyhow, yea, I've pretty much outlined all of that in the six week challenge, and I'm looking forward to being awesome.

I might have to actually change my name to Barney...

:)

• Like 1

Maenad Adventurer.

Red Five, I love how you didn't actually answer Barfly and tell him what Struth means :P

It's an exclamation, like 'Jesus!', if you follow. Although, maybe we only say that here .

Anyhow, yea, I've pretty much outlined all of that in the six week challenge, and I'm looking forward to being awesome.

I might have to actually change my name to Barney...

:)

These things are meant to be kept secret. It's how we keep our folksy charm.

I won't even ask about Barney, then. :)

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

How I Met Your Mother, barfly!

' when I'm sad, I stop being sad and am awesome instead'. Possibly he best thing said ever.

Red Five, are Aussies considered 'folksy' now?

Does that make kiwis 'ethnic' or something mad like that? Is an All Black going to come and knock down my door for saying that now or something? Oh dear...

• Like 2

Maenad Adventurer.

How I Met Your Mother, barfly!

' when I'm sad, I stop being sad and am awesome instead'. Possibly he best thing said ever.

Red Five, are Aussies considered 'folksy' now?

Does that make kiwis 'ethnic' or something mad like that? Is an All Black going to come and knock down my door for saying that now or something? Oh dear...

I should have gotten it from your title :P

I was following the trail of Aussie slang and got totally misdirected. Haha, I feel dumb :D

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

I actually met a very charming Aussie today. You should try harder to keep them in the country instead of sending them all over here :P

And that Jimmy Car skit is hilarious.

• Like 1

Maenad Adventurer.

Everyone always forgets the settlers that weren't convicts... Tsk. Some people came of their own accord because you know land and farming and opportunities.

(On that note look up the Adam Hills video on sign language and the sign the English have for Australia/Australians... Haha)

Struth came out of an amalgamation of "God's truth" although now it functions as above-mentioned.

Thirdly, welcome! And good luck with your quest.

• Like 1

I'm here so I'd have a chance in The Hunger Games. I'm here so that if the Doctor grabbed my hand and said "Run" I'd be able to keep up. I'm here so that I can climb every mountain.... Oh hello Sound of Music how did you creep in there?

Btw, what does 'struth' mean? I have enough trouble with another crazy Scots lass here without having to try and decipher another ;)

Hey! I heard that!!!! :P

I was wondering where you were from when you said you were "just down the road". There's some other Edinburgh nerds on here too. Check out the International page in the Meet Ups forum, there's a thread called Whiskey Anyone? for just getting together, and Fort William Fall (and loads of other words beginning with F) for a weekend long meet in October.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey! I heard that!!!! :P

I was wondering where you were from when you said you were "just down the road". There's some other Edinburgh nerds on here too. Check out the International page in the Meet Ups forum, there's a thread called Whiskey Anyone? for just getting together, and Fort William Fall (and loads of other words beginning with F) for a weekend long meet in October.

Who says I was talking about you? ;)

• Like 1

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker