Forums are back in action! ×

Role models/inspiration in fitness (or life)?

There are so many awesome people out there in the world of fitness and health and many of them are causes for much inspiration and motivation.

Now i wonder, do you have any special role models or persons that inspire you and makes you think "damn, that dude is awesome, I want to be like him" or "man, that girl is insanely fit, I want to learn how she does it" ?

At first, I thought I´d ask you only to mention one, but I found that I could´t do it myself, so you can mention several if you like :).

For me, I´m particularly inspired by these persons:

- Alex Honnold: Bad ass rock climber who climbs without ropes (free solo) and has a great philosophy about the environment.

- Bruce Lee: No explanation needed, :P

- Awesome people in general: Ninja Warriors, people who can do the flag etc. When I look at these people, it always motivates me.

• Like 3

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Rebel Leader Steve Kamb.  For realsies, his idea of inclusion and leveling up are absolutely brilliant, and he's reaching a whole group of people that normally wouldn't think about fitness or nutrition. I want to help people get healthy and overcome chronic disease, and he's a fantastic role model for that. Also, he's got a lot to say about living in the moment and doing things now instead of putting them off. I know this is a little brown nosey, since this is his forum and all, but NF is the first site I tell people to check out if they're interested in getting healthier. 

Anthony Mychal.  Part philospher, part lifter, always entertaining. He's ripped and tries to do it all, which I respect.  He also has made me rethink several things about lifting that I "knew" for sure. He's forced me to consider what I actually want from lifting, and how to program to execute those goals.  I really dig his stuff, and his DBZ references are awesome. =D

Chris Kresser and Stephen Guyenet: Both really solid, well researched nutrition bloggers. I hope to be as thorough, knowledgeable, and truly scientific as they are. 

Dean Ornish: A cardiologist who has about 20 years of research and hundreds of papers showing how diet and lifestyle changes can reduce atherosclerosis and improve longevity in people who have had a heart attack. He's been pushing for over a decade for this kind of intervention to be reimbursed by Medicaid/Medicare, which is the first step to getting all insurance to accept lifestyle intervention as billable treatment.  It's a huge deal for sustainable healthcare, something very near and dear to my heart.  Strangely enough, I think his dietary plans are too extreme, but you can't argue with his data.

Bonus, non-fitness:

Mike and Jerry from Penny Arcade: They built a multi-million dollar company based on doing what they love because, in their own words, "We were too stupid to do anything else."  Now they have a huge childrens charity auction, foster new cartoonists, and hold PAX.  They're an excellent model for getting rich doing what you love. 

• Like 1