Forums are back in action! ×

Welcome to my roller coaster fitness ride

Hello all

Although I've been a rebel since July 2012, never posted here before, figured it's time to post about me to solidify my commitment to reach my goals. My fitness has been roller coaster ride these last few years. The fitness part hasn't really been a problem, it's the way I eat that gets to be a problem. I'll being doing well for a long time then I'll get to a certain point and say hey, "I've been doing well, I can have some pizza or whatever for this one meal." One meal turns into a day, then a week. Then they next thing I know, I haven't worked out in months and have been eating like crap. 

Well, on my last fall from grace, I injured myself last fall during a kickball game. Was sprinting to first base and halfway there, tore my calf muscle. I couldn't walk and it brought me down mentally. I just rested for a few weeks and didn't do any fitness. When trying to get back into the swing of things, hurt my calf again, and needed more time to recover. I kept my eating habits mostly in check until I felt good enough to get back to lifting and running but then tragedy hit, my brother passed away due to cardiovascular heart disease. I tried to be as strong as possible in the beginning for my friends and family. Tried not to fall in my college courses and just kept myself busy with work. Tried to go back to the gym to counter the way I was feeling at the time but it finally just overtook me, and depression kicked in. Was not working out at all, and my eating habits went to hell. Ate lots of crap food and was eating when I wasn't hungry. I ate to make myself feel better. I ate when I was stressed. I ate when I was sad. About a month of a half of this and I had lost all the work I have done the last year or so. Fast forward to last week, I was not happy with myself. I didn't feel good. I struggled breathing while walking around campus. I felt weak, I felt fat. My brother would not want me to give up. I had rededicate myself and finally start to heal after losing my brother. 

This last Monday I started working out again. Subscribed to the Nerd Fitness Academy, started watching what I was eating again. I know what my triggers are when it comes to eating and I just need to avoid them. No more burgers, pizza, or anything junk food wise. Watching portion sizes. Fighting cravings by telling myself that it won't make me feel good, I won't feel satisfied if I ate that. And the comparison from last week to today is immensely different, I feel better about myself and I feel stronger again. Just need to push myself a little more each time.  So I'm posting here, not only to introduce myself, but for an additional support from my fitness rebels.

To lighten things up a bit, what makes me nerdy?

I LOVE Futurama because it often references other movies and shows I love and in a subtle way, plus the show still makes me laugh, and my friends and I quote from it all the time. I grew up on Star Wars and Star Trek. I love movies, I am a huge movie buff. And recently reinvigorating my love in making them. At the end of May, I am putting a team together to compete in a 48 hour film race. 

I am in college for a computer science degree, and possibly looking to get into video game design since the program at my school is the number in the country. Grew up with Nintendo but lately have been more of a PC gamer, like Starcraft or Diablo.

I am a pretty good pool player and considering competing in a national amateur tournament in the fall.

Fitness activities that I would like to get into more this year, some kind of martial arts and Ultimate Frisbee. 

Current stats: 5'5", weight as of April 27, 2014 is 202 lb.

Goal(s):

Lose weight, not to just look good naked, but to build more confidence in myself. By building confidence, I feel like it would spread to all aspects of my life and just make me a better overall person. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my story!

• Like 3

Welcome to active status!!!

Sorry about your brother.  I lost mine last September to cancer ... it takes a while to adjust to the loss of a sibling.  Hang in there. 

So what's your plan for losing weight? 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss but glad that you've made the decision to move forward with your life and focus on the things that he would want for you!  It seems like you know what you have to do in order to get to where you want so that's awesome.  I wish you the best of luck on your journey and suggest that you get involved in challenges when they roll back around.  It's a great way to find support and people with similar goals to your own!  Welcome and best of luck on your journey! 

Intro, Challenges:  1, 2

Level: 1   Race: Human  Profession: Ranger

STR: 2  DEX: 1  STA: 1  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

"[i fear] a cage. . . . To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"Your mind will quit a hundred times before your body ever does.  Feel the pain and do it anyway"