Forums are back in action! ×

Thinking of going back to school

I am thinking of going back to school. If I do then I would definitely go to Auburn as the major I want is something they excel in. My second choice would be UAB. I was never good at math or science in college but I have to admit I never truly studied or put forth 100% effort due to depression,internet addiction,being over weight, severe sleep apnea,imaturity...etc. I am much more mature and on my way to better health. Still over weight and tired all the time..need to be consistent with my cpap use,exercising, as well as not over eating..

After I get healthier and feeling better I may decide to go back.

However my parents own a small restaurant that has been here for over 20 years(in a small poor town so we are nowhere near rich).It is in the same small spot it has been in since it opened, so one thing I would change is location.. I have thought of one day eventually running it but I feel it may be too stressful.  I will probably make the decision sometime this summer if I can get the weight off and use the cpap consistently. 

Anyone else think of or actually go back after already having a bachelors degree?

• Like 1

I love learning, and feel that learning for the sake of learning is reason enough to dive into things.  But I also believe in cost effectiveness.  With the proliferation of MOOCs and all the other things that allow you to learn for free or else little investment, you don't need to drop significant time or $$ to satisfy a curiosity.

What exactly are you looking to major in, and how would you apply it in life?  Would it help run the restaurant in a tangible way?  If not and you decide to take over the restaurant after all, I'd think you'd want to save the cash on the degree and put it towards all the things you'd like to do with the restaurant.

• Like 1

Anyone else think of or actually go back after already having a bachelors degree?

I got a second bachelors degree in computer science, which was a good investment.  I worked in software development for decades and really enjoyed it.

My masters and doctorate were definitely interesting, but I'm not sure they were worth the time, effort, and expense.  I'd recommend having a solid reason for additional degrees or coursework. 

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)