Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy,

I'm Newcomb, pronounced the same as Duke Nukem (matter-of-fact, some folks at work have taken to calling me "Duke").

I was pretty into sports through high school, but then through junior college and the start of my career and marriage, I let myself go. A few years in and I found my self the archetypal fat nerd: sleep in, no breakfast, drive the less than half-mile to work, sit at the desk all day, Coke(a-cola) break in the morning, fast food for lunch, vending machine break in the afternoon, head home, takeaway and a Coke for dinner, then Coke and snacks in front of the TV or computer until midnight (or later). Then I went back to school to finish my bachelor's; and by the time I graduated, I was up to 300lbs (I'm 5'8"). One day, I was out and about helping my mom shop for a new laptop, and I couldn't read the signs at the end of the aisles (I normally have "perfect" vision), I had been pretty thirsty most of the week, but all the Coke wasn't helping (It's liquid, right?, Idiot past-Newcomb). My mom had me recount some other symptoms (she's a nurse), and when we got to her place she had me take a blood glucose test. I got a high score over 300mg/dl, so we went on down to the hospital and got me an IV drip for my severe dehydration, as well as a brand-spanking new diagnosis of diabetes, achievement unlocked :(.

That was 2011, and it was a wake-up call. With some help from my doc, I started counting calories with MyPlate, and doing the Couch to 5k. I remembered weights from high school, and I tried to get back into it with some bodybuilding routines a buddy of mine referred to me. I had a lot of progress that year, I got down to 250, got my blood glucose back to "normal" levels, and off the medication. Then I found Stronglifts 5x5, and started alternating that with running. I also found Nerd Fitness in that time and I really liked the advice and testimonies. I got down to 230 by 2013... and I've kinda sat there ever since. Now, from 2011 to 2013, we bought a house, had two kids, I finished a degree, we bought a second house (renting out the other) and just this year I went back to school to finish off some requirements for the CPA exam. My wife started working weekends so we didn't have to do daycare, and my life is very busy.

I've made a dedicated effort the pasts few months to get back into it, back on (a modified) Stronglifts, running (I completed a local 12k in 1:20 last weekend), and trying to nail down my nutrition. Despite some pretty decent milestones, I'm just not feeling it. My weight is still sitting at 230 and my waist still hovers around 43", where it has held for the last year. My goal is to get under 200 by the end of the year, but that was my goal last year as well. I have working out down; I get up at 05:45, and start working out at 06:00. I'm not doing so hot on the sleep, I'm trying to be in bed by 22:00, but there's always "just one more episode", or some other link to follow. My nutrition also suffers. Breakfast is good; I bake a bunch of bacon-wrapped mini-omelettes for the week (inspired by a NF Article), lunch is usually good; I pre-grilll a bunch of chicken breasts and then have a bag of frozen Normandy veggies from Costco. What gets me is when at work, sometimes I get called away to eat out. I could make the effort to say no, make healthy-ish choices, or control portions, but I tend not to. Dinner is similar, sometimes my wife makes something good, and I eat too much, sometimes she's makes something not so good (for me) and I eat too much, sometimes we get takeaway, and I eat too much (there's a pattern here... I can sense it). To counteract, I've started a kind of PLP routine after the kids go down, but really I just need to get the eating under control. I mean, that's 80% of the battle (per Rule #4), and even if not working out, I could still have hit my goal if my nutrition was under control.

I think I'm just looking for motivation and accountability; but I don't know how dedicated I can be to the community; I may get too busy, or I may get too engrossed. I've had to pull myself away from online communities before, particularly gaming; because I'd become pretty... obsessive (not like creeping on people or anything, just always on and putting off more pressing matters). I'm also in my second year of recovery from WoW, and that's quite a demon to tame.

Speaking of too much time on something... That's me, glad to be here!

Battle log here

Newcomb

Introduction

Battle Log

No challenges/levels... yet!

Welcomb newcomb

I had to do it

I had to.

Do you get engrossed in vidya games because of achievement stuff? Leveling up, making your character stronger, loot, its addicting right? If you can channel that obsessive energy into your fitness there will be no stopping you broliosis. Have you checked out that habit formation app, 'lift'?

Good vibes and good luck

Level 1 Halfling - Rebel Nooblet - STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 2

Challenge Thread

Challenge goals:

Pole dance 15x

40%
40%

Rock climbing 18x

50%
50%

Lab for 36 hours

36%
36%

What the junk is lumberjane up to?

Welcome on board!

Thanks!

Welcomb newcomb

I had to do it

I had to.

Do you get engrossed in vidya games because of achievement stuff? Leveling up, making your character stronger, loot, its addicting right? If you can channel that obsessive energy into your fitness there will be no stopping you broliosis. Have you checked out that habit formation app, 'lift'?

Good vibes and good luck

Or dear, well, it's not the worst play on my name I've seen. :)

Yeah, matter-of-fact I'm re-playing ME2 (and eventually 3), because I didn't get all the achievements (before kids I got 100% on ME1... and just about everything else I played). I am definitely channeling that energy, you don't want to see all my spreadsheets for this stuff. For now, though, I'm just using the few tracking apps I have.

Thanks!

Newcomb

Introduction

Battle Log

No challenges/levels... yet!