Forums are back in action! ×

So just tackling mission two after joining NF.  I'm Jacob, 27, 5'8", 155, programmer in Phoenix, Az.  I've tried to go all in on fitness and diets in the past and that's never worked out well for me.  After spending some time examining why I'm failing to follow through on things I figured out that my personality (most really) don't do well with 'all ins', instead small changes over a period of time are much better.  So right now just getting started I'm juicing a meal or two a day, going partially paleo and working through doing the beginner body weight workouts for now.  I'm trying to build some good habits and figure out how to make things happen on somewhat limited time just like most other working/married/fathers out there.  Hopefully in a month I'll be flying though my current routine and move onto some barbell routines at home.  Aside from wanting to look good I have some goals around my other hobby rock climbing.  I'd really like to be able to climb V whatever I want (not 100% practical I know, need to get more specific) boulders and I'm finding that in order to do that I need to get stronger, much stronger.  So that's where I am today, pretty inspired with everyone here, cue the mission accomplished banner and photo shot.  

Hey meng! Welcome welcome. Getting to know yourself and what works for you is an easy step to miss, good on you for taking time to work with yo self and find what works best. The best exercise/diet plan/whatever is the one you actually do, right?

Oh man, im really interested in getting into rock climbing. Right now im doing those V ceros, what vs are you currently on?

Level 1 Halfling - Rebel Nooblet - STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 2

Challenge Thread

Challenge goals:

Pole dance 15x

40%
40%

Rock climbing 18x

50%
50%

Lab for 36 hours

36%
36%

What the junk is lumberjane up to?

Rock climbing is awesome, there's nothing else like it.  I can usually get by v0 or v1 and I've projected up to v5.  Top roping I think I can onsight just about any 5.8 and can work up most 5.10s.  I find beyond that I just don't have the contact or core strength for the crux of 5.11+.  Of course those ratings are pretty arbitrary maybe my gym just sandbags the ratings like crazy :).  Lumberjane have you done any of the 6 week challenges at all, maybe with the Assassins?  

Nope, I just joined the forums and I want to have the full challenge experience so I'm waiting on The next one :) I was thinking of starting in the noobkin section just cuz they say you ought to. Are you gonna do the next challenge, too?

I do think eventually I wanna go for the assassins guild. I'm not much for parkour really but I do think rock climbing is cool as well as skil based strength stuff and gymnastics. I'm kind of a naturally cautious person so it would take a lot to get me to do anything too crazy and often I have to get over mental blocks before my body lets me do things I'm probably strong enough to do, but I guess that's why they call it a challenge!

I just started rock climbing, I can count on my hands how many times I've been. I don't have a gym membership yet because I always wait a bit to make sure I really like a thing before I she'll out da $, but I'm thinking its likely I'll get one in June :) I have odd work hours so I love that it's a thing I could do pretty much any day for an hour or two if I really wanted. And it seems to be fun and have an amiable community around it, which is nice, since I'm used to a lot of solitary pursuits and have been looking for more social hobbies.

Are you thinking of joining assassins guild right off the bat? I think it's fine if you're pretty certain you know what kind of fitness you are pursuing

Level 1 Halfling - Rebel Nooblet - STR 2|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 2

Challenge Thread

Challenge goals:

Pole dance 15x

40%
40%

Rock climbing 18x

50%
50%

Lab for 36 hours

36%
36%