Forums are back in action! ×

Wow, It's so much to take in!!

Well, here goes! 

My name is Jess. I'm 30, 5 foot 5, and weight anywhere from 196 to 199 depending on the day. About 10 years ago before I got married I weighed in at 140ish and was happy with that weight. I got married to someone who was very sedentary and had horrible eating habits, which of course I adopted. I quickly started packing on the pounds. After 5 years I was up to 180 and have been slowly gaining since. My marriage ended because of the weight I gained and after I spiraled even a little farther. I have tried a bunch of different "diets" (slim fast, hcg drops, weight watchers, and more) and never stuck with them. What weight I DID lose, I always gained back, plus a few more pounds. Hitting 30 and seeing that scale top out at 204, I KNEW I needed to make a change. So here I am. I stumbled across this page while researching paleo recipes. I have come to the conclusion that "diets" aren't really the way to go and that it needs to be a life choice. I am REALLY excited to start trying to gain some muscle. I have some one pound weights to begin with (because I can't even manage a single push up or any real weight lifting YET) but will eventually move to something heavier. I think the hardest part for me is going to be changing from my sedentary lifestyle (desk job, to going home and playing video games/watching tv with the boyfriend) to something more active and cooking.. I have no patience for spending an hour every night cooking. So I will be the hunt for good work outs, easy recipes, and maybe a 6 week challenge or two. I look forward to making some new friends and having some incredible result! I currently have some before photos of myself and I plan on taking new ones every so often as well. Maybe every one or two months, who knows!

• Like 2

Welcome!!!!   It's a lot - but take it slowly and you'll pick it up as you go.

First off, NOTHING is required.  Na da.  You can hang out, read, swap tips and questions and learn from the mentors and fellow nerds.

If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  The next one is June 9th.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/352-level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats and rpg character and so on.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best. 

Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 6 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge.  Plus lots of other, optional fun. 

Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.  Post here ... or you can message me with the envelop icon at the upper right of the screen.

Good luck!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks! I've been poking around a bit today.. I see the guilds (which confused the heck out of me at first because it never really explains WHAT they are for, just what each individual guild focuses on.. There should be a thread that explains what the guilds are there for lol) and THINK I picked the right one, but we will see if my needs change as my progress comes along. I read mention somewhere of a BBW thread which I gathered was some kind of beginners workout routine but can't seem to find it now. Anywho, thanks for the welcome and I'm super excited to be here! I plan on joining the next 6 week challenge. It looks interesting. I NEED some people to hold me accountable and I think it will be a great help to have others making this challenge with me. 

Hi! I'm pretty new here, too and it does seem like a lot to take in. I think when people reference the BBW they are talking about this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I'm excited to do my first challenge on the 9th, as well. :)

• Like 1

- Kicking ass is comfort food.- 

Left The Shire: 2/7/14 Reached Rivendell: 6/2/14

Battle Log 

Challenges: 1

Hi! I'm pretty new here, too and it does seem like a lot to take in. I think when people reference the BBW they are talking about this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

I'm excited to do my first challenge on the 9th, as well. :)

Yep. That's it.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

You start off where you are. Maybe it's push-ups against a countertop, maybe it's push-ups against the wall. :)

^That. 

I started a few weeks ago. I started with wall pushups because I couldn't do anything else. Now I am doing push ups off my dinning room table. I'll just keep slowly lowering down until I can do a floor push up. If you read through the threads in the Bodyweight forum there is a LOT of advice on how to build up to push ups. It seems like that is a pretty common starting problem. :) 

• Like 2

- Kicking ass is comfort food.- 

Left The Shire: 2/7/14 Reached Rivendell: 6/2/14

Battle Log 

Challenges: 1