Forums are back in action! ×

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around this site for a month now, but this is my first post! Hurray! I'm excited to join the next challenge June 9th, and I've been doing some soul-searching to get my goals lined up.

Right now it seems like life is a 300 meter hurdle course, and I've got to jump those hurdles to earn sweet rest at the finish line. Of course, I have the option of just punching the hurdles out of the way, but jumping (or crawling under, as it were) leaves me with significantly fewer bruises.

There are 10 hurdles to a course, and mine line up as follows: finances, mental health, diet, motivation, creating new habits, senior year of college, work, family, and two freebies for surprises. Not all of these are necessarily bad - just challenges that have to be overcomed. They blend into each other and can seem deceptively easy until you're right up on top of them and realize the refs accidentally set them one notch too high. So far I've begun facing down the diet and habits part. For three weeks now I've taken on primal eating, and the difference has been absolutely amazing. I have no plans on going back, and I plan on bringing my husband along for the ride as soon as he joins me. This goes hand in hand with creating new habits- mostly in the realm of fitness. I'm eating better, I'm walking every day, I'm getting more sunshine.

What I'm facing down: mental health - I feel great now, but once Fall and Winter start creeping up, I usually trip on a downward slide and never see the sun again until March. This does disasterous things for my health, so I'm working on creating a more positive environment, medicinally, diet-wise, exercise, and support. So, here I am! Let's go guys.

Welcome to the Rebellion!!

Have you found the Level 1 forum?  They'll get the new forum set up soon ... and you can start your first challenge as a Level 1 Rebel! 

I'm really thinking of creating an accountability group for us who struggle with depression and seasonal affective disorders.  Accountability groups are small sets of people who check up on each other frequently during the challenges.  Usually, they have a theme to them or a focus.  And I'm seeing lots of people on these forums who fight the good fight their brain's chemistry.  Personally, I too have to deal with S.A.D. each year ... so watch for an announcement in your guild.

Meanwhile, let us know if you have questions!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

welcome to the rebellion!!!

soon we will have new challenge boards :) and life will be "normal" again ;)

I am doing a financial PvE (player v environment) this 6wc! you are more than welcome to join us! (I can link ya if you are interested)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

What I'm facing down: mental health - I feel great now, but once Fall and Winter start creeping up, I usually trip on a downward slide and never see the sun again until March. This does disasterous things for my health, so I'm working on creating a more positive environment, medicinally, diet-wise, exercise, and support. So, here I am! Let's go guys.

On the main website there is an article on building a better batcave for a more positive environment.  Pop over and check it out, it might be helpful.  If you can't find it, drop me a message and I'll dig it out for you.

This past winter I managed to beat my own seasonal depression for the first time in my life. I pulled it off by putting heavy focus on strength training.  I focused so damned hard on getting my numbers up that when I got home, I felt like Superman from the adrenaline and endorphins.  During my rest days I'd spend more time on these forums talking to people and learning how to be more efficient and before I knew it, I was stronger than ever before (at 34 at that) and winter was over.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

Welcome! 

Seasonal depression can really be such a pain. I do find that when I used to workout in the winter, I would be in a better mood and tackle my day with more energy. All those endorphins can't do wrong, right? 

I can't wait to hear from you during the challenge! I know you can do this!

Level  2 Gnome -who wants to be a Mermaid- Ranger

STR 5 | DEX | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1

Challenges:  1 |  Current Challenge: Arya Sapphire and the Majora's Mask

''Be brave enough to live life creatively. The creative is the place where no one else has ever been. You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.'' - Alan Alda

Wow - thanks guys!

@ Chris - I think an accountability group would be great. I am technically bipolar with a healthy dose of SAD to spin me up or down. Learning to keep the lid on things - and getting others' advice and experiences - would be a great boon. I'll keep an eye out for the forum.

@alienjenn - That sounds awesome. I'm not even sure what it is, and it sounds awesome. More info - and a link - would be fantastic.

@raev I'll go find the article just as soon as I'm done here. I (thankfully) have access to an incredible gym at school...when I have enough energy to get there! During the summer it's easy, but winter, man....whoosh. Stories like yours are inspiring though, and I know I'll have a community here to support me in my endeavors.

@Arya thanks! It's awesome to hear from you, and I'll be keeping tabs on your challenge too, fellow Newbie!

here's a link

check it out :) info held within the link :)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move