Forums are back in action! ×

What to do instead of pushups?

I wanted to start getting back into shape by following the Beginner's Bodyweight routine, but I can't do pushups. I can't even do pushups on my knees. Are wall pushups the way to go? Or would my time be better served doing chest presses?

I started doing pushups agains the fences, so a vertical surface. Then to the kitchen counter, then the bread making counter and now the couch arm. Each time I am going a bit lower and I stay there until I can do the number of reps I set for myself consistently. At this rate it's probably going to be next year before I can manage a real pushup but I am progressing. Just start and do some, it's not that bad and I find pushups the hardest thing I try to do. :smile:

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

The more the incline, the easier the push up :D A vertical wall is a great place to start. If you need to up the difficulty, find something that will let you 'tilt' a little more, like the edge of a counter or table.

^My understanding of it.

I think it's odd in the video that he puts knee pushups before incline push ups. Shouldn't they directly before actual pushups or could it be better to do incline then regular?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Laura, my theory is that incline pushups with straight legs teaches you proper plank form before you progress to ground pushups. Knee pushups dont' quite hit your core in the same way, because your body isn't such a long line (less leverage). So while incline pushups at a small slope might be easier on your chest than knee pushups, it'll be more difficult for your body as a whole.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

If you're into bodyweight routines... I still highly suggest looking into a book called Convict Conditioning. It has bodyweight progressions for all of the major muscle groups!

And agreed with Knight Watch, wall push-ups are a great start. After you can do say 3 sets of 50 of these... you can move to doing it angled against a table. Then on your knees. Then normal. Etc.

:)

Laura, my theory is that incline pushups with straight legs teaches you proper plank form before you progress to ground pushups. Knee pushups dont' quite hit your core in the same way, because your body isn't such a long line (less leverage). So while incline pushups at a small slope might be easier on your chest than knee pushups, it'll be more difficult for your body as a whole.

Ah... good call, good call. I find my core strength is good (thank you, yoga) but my chest/shoulder/arm strength has been in need of improvement. That explains a great deal. Thanks for the insight!!

@Cipriana, awesome! Though, if that's your cat in your avatar I might suggest not using your pet :P Looks like that kitty is ready to take someone down!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Okay, it's about to get all girly squee in here... fair warning to you all!

OHHHHHHHH! LITTLE KITTY FACE! I love it! He's super cute (and, if you can't tell I do adore the meow faces. I have 2 of my own).