Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings! I'm new!

Hi everyone! I'm Demonslayer, I'm a nerd, and I like fitness, so I figured this would be a good web site for me :P Actually, it's so great to know that there are other people who see the world like I do -- I tend to think of life as a giant role playing game or fantasy adventure myself, and I'm looking to do some leveling.

I'm not in excellent shape by any means, but I'm looking to change that. I'm not in horrible shape either, but I could definitely be better. I've been hovering over the line between normal weight and overweight for my height for about two years now, and I'd like to get firmly below that line, thank you very much :)

My biggest hurdle is definitely going to be nutrition. I love grains. LOVE them. I'm not entirely sold on the whole Paleo thing yet, but as much as I'm reluctant to make a commitment to give up all grains forever, I think I could definitely use to have LESS of them!

I'm a grad student in Colorado studying computer science, I like rock climbing, programming, anime, beer (yes, yes, so shameful), and working out (you say I can't outrun the fork -- or in this case pint glass -- but it won't be for a lack of trying!).

My cardio is pretty good but my strength is crap so I've recently started doing bodyweight exercises out of Convict Conditioning, but I'm pretty noobish and bad at them so far. First day I did some wall pushups -- the ones aimed at old people and rehab patients -- and I thought my arms were going to fall off. Buuuut everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Oh and I'm self-deprecating and talk about myself way too much. Could you tell? :P

Welcome!! I know a few people here use Convict Conditioning. It sounds like an awesome book. Everyone starts somewhere :)

I tend not to jump into anything full on (or quit anything cold turkey). Set measurable goals and reach them. If you'd like to decrease your grain consumption start by cutting out some servings each day. A good way to start is to eat them earlier in the day (breakfast/lunch) and not in the evenings. Or right after a workout.

Have fun in the forums!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

A fellow climber! Welcome!

There's nothing as sweet as a nerdy fitness site, let me tell you ;-) You'll find a lot of help here, and a lot of enthusiastic fitness nerds. May I suggest you check out the chellenge section? It's just a forum for choosing some goals you'd like to achieve over a 6-week period, and then update your progress as you go along. From my experience, it's where the forum really comes alive because everyone is just cheering everyone else on as they make positive changes to their lives.

Welcome again, and good luck!

- Grey