Forums are back in action! ×

Hey Everyone!

I'm Adam.  I'm a 26 year old 9-5er and part-time student.  I love Sonic the Hedgehog, RPGs, Fantasy and Adventure Novels, and some anime.  I've been reading Nerd Fitness for a little over a year now and am finally taking the plunge and joining the community.  I've been trying to go this fitness journey alone for the most part, but every adventurer needs his allies.  Here's my fitness story:

For most of my life, I've been a pretty active person and have always loved sports.  I'm competitive and love the thrill of Basketball, Volleyball, and (in the past few years) soccer.  I ran track in high school  However, for most of my life I've also been heavier than I wanted to be.  I haven't been what would most people would call "fat" since early high school, but I've also never had a flat stomach.  I've always felt slightly inferior to my thinner friends in that regard.  Prior to finding Nerdfitness, I had made a few sallies into the realms of fitness - attempting to "eat better" but not really having a plan of attack.  Trying to run more, but getting way too ambitious way too quickly and falling off after a few weeks.  And even when I was able to keep up my running for a long time, I was never able to shake the gut.

Fast forward to finding Nerd Fitness.  It took me a while to come around to ideas like the paleo diet and prioritizing strength training, but I've come to agree with them in time.  I've been working out seriously (like, with an actual plan) and attempting to clean up my diet for the past year now.  And there have been results! I've gotten compliments from several people about how I've lost weight and I'm looking lean.  It feels great.  My weight hasn't really changed, but I've leaned out and have had to buy some new clothes.  I'm 5'11 and 175lbs, for whoever's interested.  But I feel like I've run into a wall.  And that wall is Ice Cream.

My workouts are solid and consistent, and my main meals consist of home-cooked paleo meals, but when I'm at home and get bored, I use food to alleviate the boredom.  Usually that boredom food ends up being a mug or two (or three) of Ice cream.  This is especially a problem on weekends.  I've been trying to kick this habit myself for about half a year now, but have had very limited success. 

So here I am, finally looking for some allies.  I'm an introvert and I tend to keep my ambitions and goals to myself, but I think I need some help on this one. "For as Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another".

Happy to be here. Let's do it to it.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!!  
 There's a lot to take in - but take it slowly and you'll pick it up as you go.
First off, NOTHING is required.  Na da.  You can hang out, read, swap tips and questions and learn from the mentors and fellow nerds.  
If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  During these challenges, you pick a few goals to work on that will help you improve your life.  6 weeks is usually enough time to let you decide if the new activities are helpful and work for you .... or not. And that's long enough to establish new habits that you can turn into a healthier lifestyle.
The next challenge started June 9th, but you can still get in on the fun.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/362-level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats, guilds, rpg character, and so on as well as working at setting SMART goals.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best.
Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 7 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge.  Plus lots of other, optional fun.
Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.  Post here ... or you can message me with the envelope icon at the upper right of the screen.
Good luck!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Instead of ice cream have you thought about making 'paleo' ice cream? I'll try to dig up the link, but it's pretty much frozen bananas blended with some peanut butter and/or honey. May not solve the entire issue as eating 3 mugs of that would still be bad, but at least it'll be better than 3 mugs of ice cream!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thanks Slates.  I've tried frozen banana "ice cream" before, and it is good.  It takes a long time to make, but that might be a good thing for me to keep in reserve in case I get the ice cream craving.  I think the bigger issue though is letting myself get bored and using food to alleviate the boredom instead of finding something better to do.  I think that's the main habit I need to kick.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue