Forums are back in action! ×

What are you listening to?

Garth

A forum staple, the what are you listening to thread.

Would love to know what the members of Nerd Fitness are listening to. Would be interesting to know what way the musical taste here trends.

I got back from a music festival last weekend, have been pretty much listening to some of the bands that played there ever since.

Favourites from the festival were Mogwai, Beirut, John Grant & Bob Log II and have been getting lots of play since.

Follow me on Twitter: @garth_green

Mogwai is LOUD. I saw them at Fuji Rock Festival a few years back, and still can't hear very well. I think some permanent damage was done.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of old R&B. Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Etta James and James Brown. I tend to focus really hard on one genre or another for several months, then move on to something else. Before R&B I listened to a lot of traditional Central Asian music, from Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.

Also been listening to a lot of Manu Chao after this past Fuji Rock.

Well, right this minute I am listening to the Little Einsteins. The joy of having children!

On Silver (my iPod) right now are the following:

Grateful Dead Dick's Picks 16 (live show from 8 November 1969)

Grateful Dead Three From the Vault (19 February 1971)

Grateful Dead 31 March 1987 (I attended this show)

Grateful Dead 9 September 1988 (I attended this show)

Neil Young Le Noise

Neil Young Time Fades Away

Neil Young Topanga 2

Neil Young Topanga 3

Neville Brothers Live On Planet Earth

Paul McCartney McCartney II

Pearl Jam Vitalogy

Phish Lawn Boy

Pink Floyd Meddle

Roger Waters Radio K.A.O.S.

The Standells Dirty Water

Van Morrison Let Us Ramble Through the Midnight Fair

Yes, I am a fan of live music.

I love Donald Glover in Community, and I've heard good things about his stuff as Childish Gambino so am very tempted to have a listen later.

I love the Neil Young 'Rust Never Sleeps' album, surprised that's not on your iPod RDOwens.

Hannibal, could you recommend some Central Asian music? Id be interested in hearing some.

most recently obsessed with:

The Head and the Heart

Portugal. the Man

Andrew W.K.

Heartless Bastards

Matt & Kim

Sleigh Bells

Yeasayer

Two Door Cinema Club

Noah and the Whale

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Ah, currently I have been listening to a lot of Nekromantix getting ready for their show here next week. I have also been listening to a lot of Rezurex, Horrorpops, The Creepshow, and Zombie Ghost Train. All pretty kick ass psychobilly bands. However, I have been a bit depressed recently, so I have been listening to a lot of Mark Lanegan, Hank Williams Sr, and Tom Waits as therapy (nothing like good whiskey drinking music as therapy -- although I don't drink (OK, I do drink, but I average about one drink a month)).

Ah, currently I have been listening to a lot of Nekromantix getting ready for their show here next week. I have also been listening to a lot of Rezurex, Horrorpops, The Creepshow, and Zombie Ghost Train. All pretty kick ass psychobilly bands.

And this has made me realise that I haven't listened to much psychobilly for a while. I think I need to change that. I am so jealous that you'll be seeing Nekromantix next week....though I have seen Zombie Ghost Train at least five or so times, which does make up for it a little.

Current Challenge!

Battle Log

Instagram | Twitter | Training Journal 

(Weight x Reps x Sets - all weights kg unless specified)

most recently obsessed with:

The Head and the Heart

Portugal. the Man

Andrew W.K.

Heartless Bastards

Matt & Kim

Sleigh Bells

Yeasayer

Two Door Cinema Club

Noah and the Whale

I'm a big fan of Andrew WK, Yeasayer and Sleigh Bells. In fact I had albums by all three of them on pretty much constant repeat in my car for a number of months. Have you seen any of them live? I can recommend AWK and Yeasayer if you get the chance.

I'm a big fan of Andrew WK, Yeasayer and Sleigh Bells. In fact I had albums by all three of them on pretty much constant repeat in my car for a number of months. Have you seen any of them live? I can recommend AWK and Yeasayer if you get the chance.

I saw Yeasayer back in June, and they were excellent - it was one of those shows where you leave feeling like it couldn't have been any better and it met all expectations. And I know AWK is touring in Canada right now, so i'm really hoping he comes to Boston sometime soon, or I'd go to NY to see him. I'm pretty new to his stuff, but i find him so fascinating as a person and a musician. And Sleigh Bells? They're just badass.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Nice choice. Radiohead is great background music at work - if i focus too much on it, it tends to make me spacey or puts me in a really quiet mood. I tend to bring them out on rare occasions.

today for me it's a mix of needtobreathe/portugal. the man/noah and the whale. can't make up my mind...

so what's the last live show you saw/next show you're going to see? <-- open to anyone reading this!

I've actually booked up a whole bunch of tickets for upcoming shows.

Plan goes something like this:

Sept: Melvins

Oct: Art Brut, Swn Fest (this is a all weekend city festival in Cardiff, lots of good stuff dotted around all the different music venues in the city. Biggest band that are playing is probably The Fall)

Nov: Los Campesinos!, Mariachi El Bronx

How about yourself? Got anything good coming up?

@Kain - just checked out Skrillex (never heard him before), and that definitely seems like it'll be a fun show. i suspect lots of dancing/intense head nodding.

@garthgreen - awesome line-up you got there. Art Brut makes me want to do

non-stop.

As for me, this is what I have so far:

Sept: The Head and the Heart

Oct: Jens Lekman

Nov: Peelander-Z; Noah and the Whale

hoping to expand this list as more bands come to town!

Thanks, Matilda. I'm pretty excited as normally the good gigs that come to Cardiff are few and far between as there is the larger Bristol near by. Thankfully we're getting a good run of things through to Christmas. Long may it continue.

Art Brut are one of my favourite bands, and their singer Eddie Argos is ridiculously fun live. Lovely chap too, lucky enough to have met him (and his mum) on a number of occasions.

I've not heard of either Head and the Heart of Peelander-Z. I shall have to investigate.