Forums are back in action! ×

Soonâ„¢ it won't even be my final form.

So, after my cheat day Thursday, I was expecting to end up having an extra cheat day Friday... again... When I just sort of naturally didn't, I figured it was a good time to become more focused on keeping with my diet. Also Thursday, I reached the point that I realized I would have to do something else with my strength workout, so I wen't searching for information on deadlift friendly gyms believing that my current one wasn't, which is when I stumbled across this site and got sucked in since it sounded like the kind of website that I belonged  following.

I'm a guy who is 24. I've basically been overweight my entire life and have been on all kinds of conventional weight-loss diets and workout plans, but more recently I have found some success with low-carb dieting.

I am not anti-activity of course. I played some basketball as a kid. I have done quite a bit of martial arts, and a little bit of ballroom dancing in between martial arts schools once, and then more martial arts.

Recently I've become more interested in weight training partially because with my genetic predisposition for being overweight also came a predisposition for some muscle. Also, the results are more easily apparent, and can also be translated fairly easily in to D&D 3.5 stats which can be fun and interesting and kind of give you a cool perspective of your ability. It's also cool to see how much you can work up to lifting.

I will also be working towards couch to 5k as well to try to be able to do more things and hopefully help out with asthma.

Fitness related nerdiness wise, besides enjoying relating fitness stuff to D&D, I volunteer with a high school robotics team, and It's kind of cool when the robot is your light or medium load and you can pick it up yourself while other people have to have help. Strength also comes in handy when a robot falls 6 feet from a pyramid and you have to bend the welded frame back with only pliers.

Welcome! My love for lifting also lies partly in my predisposition for muscle that comes with the one for being overweight.

Did you find your DL friendly gym?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I'm not really sure yet. I currently have a ymca membership on my parents' family membership, and when I mentioned it to them, they seemed to think they had seen people doing that kind of stuff and mentioned that I have 3 sessions with someone to show how to use equipment or whatever. I asked about getting someone to show me the proper form at the desk, and was set up with an appointment for a free "orientation" on Tuesday, but every time I said "deadlift" the person's eyes sort of seemed to glaze over slightly, so I don't really know if I'm going to learn about the DL or be told I can't do it there.

By the way, I enjoy your name and your quote. lol

I updated about the DL friendly gym news in my challenge thread, but I will post it here as well.

It turns out they are fine with Olympic lifts. The trainer who I was with seemed happy that I wanted to learn about free weights instead of the normal basic weight machine circuit fitness setup that I guess they usually do, and he said that after a month or whatever once I get used to the basic lifts, I could set up another appointment with him for the more advanced Olympic lifts, so it seems they are very supportive of that stuff.