Forums are back in action! ×

A bunch of questions, help me please

So recently i achieved a human flag on a pole and parallel bars (gotta update my challenge thread) and I saw a routine designed to reach a human flag hold. The thing was it had in total of 15 muscle ups in the workout If you did the recommended 3 cycles and I CANT EVEN DO A MUSCLE UP!?!?!?!?!? So I've decided i will start trying to get a muscle up but I have a push/pull/legs split with some abs and cardio added and I want to work out every day and i do. I want to work in push muscles and legs but how would i do that if i was training for a muscle up all the time? Lastly I cannot do muscle ups in my house because I have a doorway pull-up bar.

RECAP:

-is it normal to be able to flag but not do a muscle up

-is it possible to work in other muscles while training muscle ups and to work out every day

-how would i do a muscle up training plan with a doorway pull-up bar

Please reply thanks guys

I am not an expert, just an enthusiastic amateur, but I'll take a crack at this anyway.

1. Yes it is normal. The flag is mostly about core strength and stability, a muscle up is upper body strength. Two different muscle groups performing different tasks.

2. I don't know. I have no idea what exercises are needed to perform a muscle up. Would imagine pull ups and dips, which you could add to your normal workout (again, I am an amateur at best)

3. Go outside. YOu can use a tree branch, the goal post at a soccer field, Improvise. Here's Scooby giving some ideas for pull ups.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but there you go.

"Vivere Militare est" Seneca

"If man makes it, don't eat it." Jack Lalanne

I am not an expert, just an enthusiastic amateur, but I'll take a crack at this anyway.

1. Yes it is normal. The flag is mostly about core strength and stability, a muscle up is upper body strength. Two different muscle groups performing different tasks.

2. I don't know. I have no idea what exercises are needed to perform a muscle up. Would imagine pull ups and dips, which you could add to your normal workout (again, I am an amateur at best)

3. Go outside. YOu can use a tree branch, the goal post at a soccer field, Improvise. Here's Scooby giving some ideas for pull ups.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but there you go.

Ok thnx iron centurion pull-ups and dips are in my workout i can do about 15 pull-ups and 15-20 dips if i am rested which I think is a good enough base to perform a muscle up and can do high pull-ups almost to the low middle of my abs. That is the reason why I'm confused why I can't do a muscle up. Thanks again iron centurion.

How are you doing a flag on parallel bars? That doesn't seem to make sense.

There isn't a lot of crossover between the flag and muscle-up, I'm not sure why that would be part of a flag workout other than the fact that the muscle-up is a good all around strengthener; but it doesn't do much for the major flag muscle groups (delts, traps, obliques).

The best crossover to the flag comes from one arm wall handstands or one arm handstands. The hardest part of the flag for just about everyone is the press in the lower arm.

I would not train muscle-ups every day. Muscle-ups are rough on the body. Between the tricep tendon on the outer elbow and the bicep tendon on the inner elbow/shoulder, daily training would definitely cause issues.

Muscle-ups are all about pulling high. Rare is a person that can do a high enough pullup that can't execute the elbow flip or press up in the straight bar dip. On a doorway pullup bar, switch to always using a palm grip and always make chest contact to the bar. Just don't pull too high and hit your head on the ceiling. A good workout outside for muscle-ups is to do clap pullups.

Mir, I've been able to do proper bar muscle-ups for about a year now (sloppy one arm at a time for almost 2 years). I've never done a ring muscle-up. I have rings, but I've never mounted them where I had the clearance to do a muscle-up. Ring muscle-ups are supposedly easier though.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Mir, I've been able to do proper bar muscle-ups for about a year now (sloppy one arm at a time for almost 2 years). I've never done a ring muscle-up. I have rings, but I've never mounted them where I had the clearance to do a muscle-up. Ring muscle-ups are supposedly easier though.

Ohhhh good call. Has it been that long? I remember seeing your video at the playground.

I  bet rings are easier because you can widen your grip with them. Although that also makes you less stable so maybe harder. Hahaha.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ohhhh good call. Has it been that long? I remember seeing your video at the playground.

I  bet rings are easier because you can widen your grip with them. Although that also makes you less stable so maybe harder. Hahaha.

No, its because you can go through rings but have to go around the bar and because the rings can rotate as you flip your elbows. The technique is quite a bit different

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!