Forums are back in action! ×

Hey, Alpha, again.

This is my second attempt at refining my life and fitness. Admittedly my last attempt was not a complete failure, I began to loose weight and see some overall improvements. Unfortunately my health did nosedive due to neurochemical imbalances caused by stress. I had to give up my jobs and move away from NYC. After a year of tests and such no more answers are to be had, but we seem to have stabilized my brain with medication. But after a little over a year of being isolated to my room, I'm in worse shape then I was before. I assure you, there is no facepalm big enough to express my exasperation.

But never one to admit defeat I'm getting back on the proverbial saddle. Volunteering as a performer at the local Renaissance fair is helping me rehabilitate basic physical functions. It's two days a week but it's a start.

The reason I decided to return to the forums is strangely specific actually. There were archery try outs at the fair, and I couldn't quite notch the arrow. The gear itself was by all reports, terrible. But I didn't have the dexterity and finger strength to notch the thing. I also have Ideational Dyspraxia so there is that. Though I found tips on how to build up strength in the fingers surprisingly hard to come by, so I came back here.

At any rate I hope to get myself in better shape then I ever was before because I'm spiteful that way.

• Like 1

Be willing to give up what you are for what you may become.

Hey Alpha, welcome back (this sounds weird, given the circumstance that I wasn't here on your first attempt)!

Some years ago, I was into archery myself and practiced it two to three times a week and I can tell you that the act of notching an arrow even with good gear can be difficult for beginners, even without your background.   I do hope that this experience hasn't scared you away from archery, because it is such an amazing sport! Given a decent instructor, you can develop both strength and concentration through archery. I hope to pick this activity up again myself.

I wish you all the best reaching your goals!

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0

Welcome back, and good luck.  It's tough coming back from something like that!! 

I use grip strengtheners for my fingers: 

smallMain_2_12.jpg

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Glad to have ya back!

The reason I decided to return to the forums is strangely specific actually. There were archery try outs at the fair, and I couldn't quite notch the arrow. The gear itself was by all reports, terrible. But I didn't have the dexterity and finger strength to notch the thing. I also have Ideational Dyspraxia so there is that. Though I found tips on how to build up strength in the fingers surprisingly hard to come by, so I came back here.

At any rate I hope to get myself in better shape then I ever was before because I'm spiteful that way.

Perfectly good way to be spiteful. When in doubt, shoot it in the face. Or the knee. With an arrow, of course :)

Current Challenge: Developing Roots