Forums are back in action! ×

Hi there, I'm Alex

I'm better known on XBL as H20 Hamm3r and Steam as TwinMustang.

I have been a heavy to moderate gamer for nearly 10 years, and light gaming for 10 prior to that.  I'm an aspiring indie game developer (from scratch no training), a pilot, a marksman/coach, and I'm into history.  Living history.  You know, get into period appropriate garb and live/fight/play as they would have in the period I'm studying.  I'm in a society known as the SCA, or Society for Creative Anachronists.  It's basically LARP, only it's historically accurate, there's no scripting, no rolling dice or whatever RPG type stuff goes on with LARP.  It's also called "Experimental Archaeology".  Anyway, we suit up in armour (real, not foam) and hit each other with rattan weapons in tournament style combat.

Okay, so here's me; I'm 230 lbs, 5'6".  I am aiming for a reduction by 60 lbs to stabilize at 170 to 180.

Oh yeah, and I'm Canadian, from around the Vancouver BC region.

Any questions, comments, advice, support etc... is welcome!

TM

Welcome!

My uncle is a member of SCA, and I remember he took me to one of the events they had locally when I was a teenager. I even sewed my own tunic. It was super fun!

What's your diet/exercise plan look like?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks!

I love the SCA.  It's like in school when you would find the other nerds close to your level.... only now there are 60K of us :P.

My current diet/exercise plan looks something like this and it's totally tentative

Dinner 3 days a week will be Beef, 2 Chicken, 1 Fish, 1 vegetarian or non-meat.

Exercise - daily walks upwards of 15 mins (transition to runs when I drop below 195 lbs)
    - bodyweight circuits every other day until I can bang off three.  Then re-evaluate
    - Weekly swordfighting and archery practice, as well as weekly swimming

That's about it at this point! :P  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

TM

Hello Twin Mustang, and welcome!

SCA sounds awesome, I don't know if there is something similar here in Germany, we have renaissance fairs with more or less historically accurate performers.

Just out of curiosity: Do you practice archery with medieval bow types, for example longbows, or does this nothing have to do with SCA?

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0

Hi Schmonk, thanks!

Yes, I love the SCA almost as much as flying!  And trust me, that's saying a LOT! haha :P

Yes, the SCA has groups in Germany!  www.drachenwald.sca.org/content/germany will tell you all about the groups there!

Our archery follows mostly period style.  We have three categories of competition; Modern, Traditional, Period

Modern is essentially open category, with some exceptions (Like no trigger releases, no compound bows, no mounted sights etc...)

Traditional is all the bows that wouldn't have existed in period, like modern composite bows (laminated recurves, cutout shelf bows, etc...)

Period is bows that did or would have existed in period, like Mongolian horsebows, Egyptian reflex-deflex bows, English longbows etc...

Also, all arrows used in competition must be wood, with a field or target point, and must be feather fletched.  Synthetic flights are not permitted.

Hope that answers some of your questions!!

TM

Hahahhaha! That sounds awesome! All the archery.

As far as the running, do you have problems running now? I know it's harder when you are heavier but it's also pretty awesome. Of course, walking is awesome too.

I say awesome a lot. Oh well.

• Like 1

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hi Schmonk, thanks!

Yes, I love the SCA almost as much as flying!  And trust me, that's saying a LOT! haha :tongue:

Yes, the SCA has groups in Germany!  www.drachenwald.sca.org/content/germany will tell you all about the groups there!

Our archery follows mostly period style.  We have three categories of competition; Modern, Traditional, Period

Modern is essentially open category, with some exceptions (Like no trigger releases, no compound bows, no mounted sights etc...)

Traditional is all the bows that wouldn't have existed in period, like modern composite bows (laminated recurves, cutout shelf bows, etc...)

Period is bows that did or would have existed in period, like Mongolian horsebows, Egyptian reflex-deflex bows, English longbows etc...

Also, all arrows used in competition must be wood, with a field or target point, and must be feather fletched.  Synthetic flights are not permitted.

Hope that answers some of your questions!!

TM

Thanks for the information. Never heard of SCA in Germany before, but that might be because the nearest group is a two hours drive away.

All that talking about archery makes me wanna loose some arrows :)

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0