Forums are back in action! ×

Grown up punk kid ready to make some changes

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around for a few months now. I found Nerd Fitness right before getting pregnant with my second kid, and unfortunately I was so sick through the whole thing (hyperemesis, just like with my first) that I had to put everything other than staying in bed on hold. He's three months old today, so I can't use that as an excuse anymore.

I'm a stay at home mom of a daughter and that new son. I've struggled with body image problems my entire life. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder at a fairly young age as well as ED-NOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified - basically waffling back and forth between anorexia and bulimia). I went from that to just binge eating and being overweight. I did spend a couple years in the gym and enjoyed it, but I eventually stopped going when an abusive relationship with the guy who introduced me to the gym finally ended. More recently, I was diagnosed with lupus and arthritis. My lupus likes to flare up when I'm warm or spend time in the sunlight. It's really unfair, because it's summer, and I live in Florida. Ouch.

I started running before getting pregnant with my son and was preparing to get back in the gym, but then I ended up on bed rest for the entire nine months. I've been living off junk food for the past three months because I'd gone so long getting my nutrients via IV, I just wanted to eat everything in sight. Last night something snapped. I went bowling and had a big platter of various fried foods and felt awful. I just feel...gross. And it finally occurred to me that I've never once tried to be healthy; I've just tried to lose weight. It's ridiculous. Even when I was at my lowest weight of 95 pounds, I didn't look good. I was just bones and body fat. Screw that.

Today I'm going to get off my rear, exercise beyond just slowly jogging, and actually eat something that's not fried.

Level 2 Dwarf Scout

STR 0 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 0

Twitter | Instagram

Past Challenges: 1

Good for you! Get on it!

What kind of exercises are you interested in? Just running, or things like lifting weights, martial arts, yoga, parkour, etc?

I'm really excited to start lifting weights again, though this time I plan to focus on getting stronger rather than appearance only. I'm going to incorporate yoga as well since it seems to help keep my joints from locking up (they're getting a double whammy with arthritis on top of lupus). Both of those should help me with running, which is awesome.

Level 2 Dwarf Scout

STR 0 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 0

Twitter | Instagram

Past Challenges: 1