Forums are back in action! ×

Just another nerd that wants to get strong :)

Hello! I'm so happy to be here! You can call me Rose, for starters. 

I always find that numbers and facts help me to understand things/people, so here's my stats:

- female

- teenager

- about 90lb

- 5' 

- waist: 23-25" (fluctuates)

- hips: 32" 

- thigh:9"

- bicep: 9.5"

My main goal is to get stronger and leaner, as well as being able to manipulate my own bodyweight. I'm generally a thin, small person, and I get a lot of the "you're so skinny" coments. Also, "you should eat more". The thing is though, I eat a lot! I'll go into my 'diet' later I guess. I carry the magority of my fat in my stomache, and my hips to some extent. Asthetically I'm fine with my body I geuss.... except that my gut sticks out and makes me feel kind of disproportionate.  Also, my arms are like sticks and my shoulders are all bony. Also... ok so maybe a have some body issues :/.  

Past all the details though, I'd really just love to have a strong, healthy body that I can rely on. Currently I just feel weak, and I run out of breath very quickly. Most of my friends are taller, stronger, bigger than me, especially since I have many friends that are guys. I want to be able to keep up with the best of them when it comes to sports and other fun activities that require some level of fitness.  I've always thought that it would be awesome to try out parkour, climbing, boxing, martial arts, and so many other things! Especially parkour... Running is fun too, but I suck at it. (I loved Steve's post about doing things that you suck at!). I did track this past season, and I found that I like running the 800m race, and I really want to imporve my PR... which is currently a little pathetic, haha. A good friend of mine is encouraging me to do cross country type running, so I'll attempt to tackle a 5k this summer. 

What I've done so far.... I found Nerd Fitness a while ago, and the philosophy made so much sense to me. In the past two weeks or so, I've sort of threw myself into a semi- Paleo diet, but this can be difficult when you live with your family. I've been doing at least one Paleo meal a day, usually breakfast. I've found some recipes that I love (sweet potato hash with bacon and eggs, yum), and I think my energy may haveincreased... although this could just be my enthusiasm for getting my life together ;) I had tried a few times become to get into exercise, but the longest I kept it up was running a mile every morning for about a month, until it got 'too cold and dark' and I gave up. Now I'm doing some sort of bodyweight workout at least one every other day. I did the Beginner Body Weight Workout, which left me sweating a bit but wasnt too hard. The Advanced Body Weight Workout was another story. I tried it a few days ago and completley failed. I could barely get through one set, and that wasn't even with all the reps! So, that brought down my ego somewhat. I get sort of bored only doing a BW workout every day, will it hurt to do a light one every day? I've been trying to find an alternate form of exercise for off days, but I hate running in 80 degree weather and have no where to bike... Excuses, excuses. I will probably try to get to the river or ocean more often so that I can swim! 

Wow, that is a lot of writing. Sorry. I won't judge you if you skipped the mgirity of it ;) From the lurking I've done here on the forums, this seems like an amazing community! I think I'll start in with the next 6 week challenge to get accountability...

Oh, I almost forgot about the most important part!! I am a nerd. Some of my many interests.... Marvel, Doctor Who, LotR, HP, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Star Wars, books in general (John Green is my IDOL), music, and art. I paint and draw all the time, it's really theraputic for me :) I haven't got into gaming, but I'm sure I would if I started.

If you've got this far, thanks for reading :) I'd love advice on how to proceed, which guild to join, ect. Again, super happy to be here!! :D

Try and keep it simple in the beginning. It will take a while before you truly find which type of exercise resonates the most with you.

As a newbie and teenager, you have the luxury to really explore all different kinds of exercise. I find it fun to just go to different classes (different types of martial arts, pilates, yoga, crossfit, parkour, etc.). Most gyms offer free drop-ins, so you can get your ass kicked for free a few times.

I was 19 when I started to concistently work out. I was a bit chubby and had not much muscle to show. I bought a gym membership. At the time, this was really expensive for me, like a quarter of my budget. I never skipped a workout because I wanted to make the money I spent be worth.

After a while, I fell in love with working out. Nowadays I'm into pure bodyweight training and in the best shape of my life. I do almost all my workout outside on playgrounds for free (I actually hate gyms now).

So my advice: Try some stuff, then commit to something for 6 months. Really commit, make it painful to quit. Do it like me or place a bet with a friend to pay him/her $50 if you didn't do 3 workouts a week.

Your post sounds like you have lots of newbie's motivation. You want to tackle so many things at once, but believe me, sticking to just one type of exercise consistently for a few month is VERY hard if you have never formally worked out.

I hope this was helpful and you find the sport that makes you strong and happy.

Welcome, Rose!

Just dropping by to wish you good luck on your goals! I am on a quest to get stronger, too, but have decided to do strength training mostly with the barbell. Have you considered hitting the weights or are you determined on doing body weight training?

Level 2 Warrior

STR 1 - CON 1 - DEX 0 - STA 0 - WIS 2 - CHA 0

Thanks, Schmonk! I would actually like to supplement my training with heavy weights, but I have no gym near me, and I'm relatively poor ;). However I think my school may have a weight room, so I could try to get in there. Does anyone around here practice with other objects, tires, rocks, ext? I've heard a bit of that kind of thing but I havent researched it in depth.... I sort of thought it was for more advanced lifters.

Thanks, Schmonk! I would actually like to supplement my training with heavy weights, but I have no gym near me, and I'm relatively poor ;). However I think my school may have a weight room, so I could try to get in there. Does anyone around here practice with other objects, tires, rocks, ext? I've heard a bit of that kind of thing but I havent researched it in depth.... I sort of thought it was for more advanced lifters.

A gallon jug of water weighs 8 lbs, or fill your backpack with stuff, or do curls with canned food, etc.

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

I think the one paleo meal a day is great but push for more, i was doing the same thing for a while a now i am into a full paleo diet and feel great.  As for the cheap weights topic rocks, cinderblocks, bags of sand all work great and i have use them in the past, longer pieces of heavy lumber 4x4 or something you have lying around like that can be awkward to handle and lifting them gives a decent workout. Be creative! go push the car around in the driveway or something. (brake off  ;) )

Level 1 Half-Orc Barbarian Ranger, Chaotic Good
STR:2 DEX:0 STA:2 CON:2 WIS:2 CHA:0

Do not wait to strike the iron while it is hot; but make it hot by striking.

Lose ten pounds Battle Log Quest I