Forums are back in action! ×

Good start already, need to kick things up a few notches

I'm a guy who has been going through the classic lose-gain-lose-gain cycle for a good long time. In high school I ran cross country, and the amount of activity I had going on all the time allowed me to eat pretty much what I wanted. I was never a small guy; I'm 6'2" with a broad frame, and even in high school I was a husky 240lb. But you wouldn't have guessed I was that heavy; I wore my weight well, I was physically capable, and I had some killer calves. All of this meant I wasn't too concerned about personally maintaining my diet.

Then came college. That first semester, my physical activity dropped to near zero, and the 18-hr/day buffet style dining plan we were all on caused me to balloon up about 40 pounds to 280lb within a span of around three months. Over the next three and a half years, I went up and down several times, getting as low as 270 and high as 300.

I've been out of school for just over 2 years now, and for a long time I was dipping my toe in the fitness water. I would drop to 280, then go back up to 290, drop to 275, go up to 295 or 300... it's no good. But about a year ago my wife came across the Shred diet (http://www.doctoriansmith.com/books/shred-the-revolutionary-diet/), and while it looks like another craze, it's a relatively well-balanced, gimmick free regimen based on low calories, low sodium, low fat, and high activity. I was skeptical, but after the first six weeks, I did indeed lose about 20lbs, as advertised, and it got me down to ~265lb and, most importantly, I became physically active again. I also discovered (again with my wife's help) the fantastic body-weight training introductory volume You Are Your Own Gym (http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581), with which I have gained more muscle and than I've ever had (not that I'm ripped or anything).

Since all this, I've been pretty good about maintaining the diet side of things (barring some slip ups), but I regularly slide on the exercise, which is the primary reason that I'm here. I discovered NF about a year ago, but didn't ever get into it. Now I'm ready to commit hardcore and join the community. I've been on the IRC channel a bit the last couple days; say hey if you see me in the evenings or the in the wee hours of the morn (my time, EST). I will be joining the next six-week challenge, and I will be posting updates as regularly as I can manage.

I love bodyweight exercise, as I prefer budget living and I've never been a big fan of weights and machines. My first two huge milestones are:

• Weight loss: drop back to my high school weight of 240lb. I fully plan to do that by the end of the year. Currently I'm hovering just above 270, on my way back down.
  • Physical capability: do a completely unassisted pull-up and chin-up. I've never done either in my life.

Most appealing to me is the Assassins Guild, though I know I'm a bit bulkier than many who claim this mantle. Here are some long-term goals:

• Get back into Capoeira. I was part of the grupo capoeira na minha universidad, and I'd absolutely love to get back into it. It was some of the most fun I've ever had. Plus, my wife's family is Brazilian, so there's that. Prerequisite: Drop to 240.
  • Experiment with Parkour. Specifically Parkour rather than freerunning, because I love the philosophy that goes with it. Prerequisite: Be able to run 5 miles. I can currently jog around 2.5mi-3.0mi before needing a 2-minute walking break, but when I go, I try to do 3mi minimum, often getting up into the 4.0-4.5 range.
  • Drop a whole lot more weight. I would ultimately love to drop below 200lb, but that seems so far off, so I'll focus on the 240 goal right now.

So that's my long-winded story. I'm looking forward to getting involved with the community and to getting into a shape I can be completely proud of. I've already seen myself grow to become more physically capable than I had expected, primarily through bodyweight training. I'm expecting big things.

KenBear
Level 2 Half-Ogre Rebel

STR 4|DEX 2|CON 5|STA 3|WIS 1|CHA 2

Battle Log | Current Challenge Log

Challenge           |  Week 1  |  Week 2  |  Week 3  |  Week 4

Run 4 days/week     |  4 days  |          |          |  

Lose 6 lbs total    |  2 lbs   |          |          |  

13 cups/day water   | ~10/day  |          |          |  

Read 3 books        | (nothing)|          |          |  

Main Quest:

Drop below 200lbs. Starting weight: 241lbs (12/15/2015) | Target: 199lbs

0%
0%

Welcome to the Rebellion!!!!  Size does NOT matter in the Assassin's Guild.  We're a varied bunch, and many of us are working on dropping weight as well as developing agility and a better bodyfat %%. 

If you want more accountability, I do recommend the 6-week challenges.  During these challenges, you pick a few goals to work on that will help you improve your life.  6 weeks is usually enough time to let you decide if the new activities are helpful and work for you .... or not. And that's long enough to establish new habits that you can turn into a healthier lifestyle.

The current challenge started June 9th - I think the next one starts July 27th.  You'd start as a Level 1 Rebel (see the current challenge area at http://rebellion.ner...level-1-rebels/) .... which is where you LEARN about all of the stats, guilds, rpg character, and so on as well as working at setting SMART goals.  You still get to adopt what works for you, and you can ignore the rest.  Some very successful NF people never bother with classes or stat points or race or so on.  They just hang out in the guild that suits their goals best.

Even MOAR accountability?  We have accountability groups of 7 or so people who check up on each other frequently during a challenge. And Player vs. Player "games" .... Plus lots of other, optional fun.

Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.  Stop by my challenge thread or you can message me with the envelope icon at the upper right of the screen.

Good luck!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)