Forums are back in action! ×

Hypothetical plan for combining calisthenics & weights seamlessly

I was just talking with somebody on another page about the idea of getting lifting and calisthenics to coexist.

I realized that most lifting programs are based on heavy leg/posterior chain moves, simple pushes and pulls for the upper body, and then core/arm assistance work.

I had the idea that you could retool that to focus on weighted calisthenics instead and probably get crazy results in both strength and athleticism.

Squats would stay since those are already calisthenics plus weight, but the rest would be focused on things like weighted chins/pushups/dips/inverted rows.

At first I considered that you could do heavy weight with slower, grinding reps for strength, then for assistance work you could do different calisthenics without weight for higher volume. Then I realized a third training method exists - halve the weight you use for the strength training, but do your reps as explosively as possible.

Being a fan of push/pull/legs, I started thinking along those lines and asked myself what would happen if you trained each type of movement every workout, but using one of those training methods above and continually rotated them, like this:

Workout 1:
-strength training push
-explosive pulls
-unweighted legs

Workout 2:
-unweighted push
-strength pull
-explosive legs

Workout 3:
-explosive push
-unweighted pull
-strength training legs

I've been thinking a bit about the individual exercises you could use for each workout and it keeps getting more interesting, i.e. using jump squats and box jumps on explosive leg days, turning your deadlifts into cleans, and also the fact that since the unweighted training would not be progressive you could do things like freestyling between several different pull up or push up variations.

I am already satisfied with what I am doing, but in the future this is something I would be willing to try. I am mostly writing down the idea in case it turns out to be something anyone else here wants to try.

• Like 1

[ Babby's Ferst Challenge ]

Veganism killed my gainz

Chasing 15 rep 2xBW deadlift