Forums are back in action! ×

The Downsides of Fitness

I was always underweight as a child. I'm naturally skinny, and I had very fussy eating habits. And I completely understand this - I could not swim. I simply didn't float. When I said as much to my teacher she pointed out a larger, chubbier classmate and said he could float fine and he was heavier than me. I knew that was wrong but I couldn't explain why at the time.

I still cannot swim, but one day I may try again. I'm not that skinny now, and I managed to beat the bicycle, so water will soon succumb to my will.

Well I don't float unless I'm wearing a 7mm neopreen divingsuit, but I can swim just fine. The real trick is using your lungs to float, because it'll give you a bit more volume. Basically you need to keep in mind and get used to not being able to float while breathing out and compensate for it. Although it would make learning to swim harder I suppose.

I've always been underweight, but I swim like a fish.  I was even a Lifeguard for 6 years.  So it's certainly possible, but it's going to be totally different than what you might be used to.  As Dleffe said, you can't rely on floating while breathing out.  The key here, for me at least, is movement.  The more/faster you're moving, the easier it is to stay on the surface.  

The other side is, get used to going underwater.  Take it very slow to start, and work your way up to swimming submerged.  It's like being a nuclear submarine, only without the reactor!  Plus, it gives you a lot more mobility in the water than just staying on the surface.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm paleo.  My mom now apologizes every time she eats a sandwich in my presence.  Don't worry, mom, I'm not going to crucify you for consuming bread and bologna in front of me, nor am I going to go into some kind of frothing mania, knock you over, and steal your food.  It's okay.

• Like 1

Dwarven Adventurer, level 0.

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

Target Weight: 200lbs | Starting Weight: 262lbs | Current Weight: 253lbs

I'm all about that bass.

I'm paleo.  My mom now apologizes every time she eats a sandwich in my presence.  Don't worry, mom, I'm not going to crucify you for consuming bread and bologna in front of me, nor am I going to go into some kind of frothing mania, knock you over, and steal your food.  It's okay.

Funny when people do that. I haven't really had that with bread, more with sweets. People act all guilty if they eat sweets and I don't. But really, I figure they are adults and can make their own food choices

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Burning through sneakers. I run like crazy, and my sneakers last less than half the time they used to. This is especially annoying because I am very cheap and have a minor heart attack every time I spend more than $30 on anything.

Never thought about this one, but my shoes used to last me years. I thought demolishing my NB Minimus after 6 months (around 200 miles) was preposterous.

Hmm, yeah.  I get this one too, though not usually about bread.  It's like people feel ok about making choices that they feel are "bad" so long as everyone around them is also making bad choices, but the minute they're in the company of someone who does something different they feel guilty.  Weird!

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hmm, yeah.  I get this one too, though not usually about bread.  It's like people feel ok about making choices that they feel are "bad" so long as everyone around them is also making bad choices, but the minute they're in the company of someone who does something different they feel guilty.  Weird!

Not weird.  That's exactly what is happening.  As soon as someone shows them what they could do but are not doing they begin to feel guilty.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

And they try to drag you down to their lvl!

I changed jobs some months ago, they laughed at my protein powder/oatmeal combo. Then a week later I brougth a mix of corn, peas and tuna and they laughed at that. I bring carrots to snack next joke, doesn't seem to matter what type of healthy food I bring it's always jokeworthy. I'm pretty sure that alot of people don't even know they do it.

• Like 2

It's easier to put others down than to try to raise yourself. And worse, when the pervading culture is to bring others down, a lot of people don't want to try to improve themselves because they fear being brought down themselves.

It's surprisingly hard to ignore people's opinions.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Psychologically-speaking, most people are more comfortable making decisions that they suspect are objectively not the "best" choices if they feel like they're in the majority.  It's the "everyone is doing it, so it isn't that bad" mentality. 

I'm pretty sure my mom just knows that I really love bologna sandwiches, though, and feels like she's taunting me.  (I was always raised in the belief that it's rude to eat in front of someone without sharing your food.)

• Like 1

"We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly." (Flemeth, Dragon Age II)

I'm all about that bass.

Ewww, definitely not that crappy Oscar Mayer "meat."  I'm talking Smith's bologna, locally produced in Erie, PA, on pumpernickel bread with a tiiiiny bit of butter and maybe some mustard.  And a glass of iced tea.  (If I'm gonna drink beer, it'll be Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Cherry Wheat, or half a Corona.  I prefer Angry Orchard cider though.  Not that any of that is paleo-approved lol.)

• Like 1

I'm all about that bass.

Ewww, definitely not that crappy Oscar Mayer "meat." I'm talking Smith's bologna, locally produced in Erie, PA, on pumpernickel bread with a tiiiiny bit of butter and maybe some mustard. And a glass of iced tea. (If I'm gonna drink beer, it'll be Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Cherry Wheat, or half a Corona. I prefer Angry Orchard cider though. Not that any of that is paleo-approved lol.)

Mmmm..... I want EVERYTHING you just mentioned in this post.

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Mmmm..... I want EVERYTHING you just mentioned in this post.

Lol, me too!  But that would be somewhat counterproductive to my long-term goals, so I think I'll stick with enjoying my pot roast and red wine for tonight.  :)

I'm all about that bass.

I think that Bologna is the only sausage entity that I just can't get behind. I know it's just a giant hot dog, but ...

We're talking about the white-trash Oscar Mayer crap, right?

... Because Lebanon Bologna [named for the town in PA, not the country]

915-2.jpg

is totally cool with me

Take half a dozen slices [or more!], a couple pieces of Swiss cheese, put them in a sliced "everything" bagel with some good spicy brown mustard, wrap that up in foil and heat it in the oven at 350º for 10-15 minutes ... THAT's a good post-run lunch on a Fall afternoon ... wash it down with an Oktoberfest beer, if you're so inclined [Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer works just as well, if not better]

Ewww, definitely not that crappy Oscar Mayer "meat."  I'm talking Smith's bologna, locally produced in Erie, PA, on pumpernickel bread with a tiiiiny bit of butter and maybe some mustard.  And a glass of iced tea.  (If I'm gonna drink beer, it'll be Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Cherry Wheat, or half a Corona.  I prefer Angry Orchard cider though.  Not that any of that is paleo-approved lol.)

Mmmmmm, balogna! Having grown up in Erie and now living near Lancaster, I fully support both those types. My relatives import Smith's hot dogs for me since we can't get them here and they're the only kind I like.

Downside of the day: your former compression pants are now just pants

Did this turn into the PA thread or something? I grew up in southeastern PA (Delaware County) and now live in Delaware.

I have the opposite problem from Trem. My former "just pants" are now compression pants. Especially dress slacks. I have to wear size 40s, cinched down at the waist with a belt in order for my pants not to rip when I bend over/squat down. Waist size, I'm about a 38 trending further toward a 36.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Someone's gotta educate these Aussies & Europeans, right?

Damn skippy!

I'm all about that bass.

I barely had a butt to begin with. Now I can't walk up the 15 stairs at work without my pants falling off. I totally need to work on getting some glutes.

Heh. At the running group this lunchtime, I was behind a chap whose shorts kept slipping. That's probably *why* I was behind him half the time...

• Like 4

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I have the opposite problem from Trem. My former "just pants" are now compression pants. Especially dress slacks. I have to wear size 40s, cinched down at the waist with a belt in order for my pants not to rip when I bend over/squat down. Waist size, I'm about a 38 trending further toward a 36.

Even as a girl i have a similar problem. I'm at the point now where I wear a size 6 in dresses and skirts, but my thighs are keeping me in size 8 pants. My solution is belts and strategic safety pins to keep pants from gapping in an unattractive manner. I haven't gained in my thighs, just not lost inches there at the same rate as my waist and hip. I'm just thankful that skirts are forgiving and I can find pants designed for women who have a 'perky posterior'.

Being talked to by the custodians became they're sure you dragged the large table across the floor (despite no skid marks) instead of calling them to help and don't quite believe you that you lifted and carried it yourself.

Maybe you can give them a little demonstration and then say, "now do you believe me?" If it were me, depending on my mood I might add, "and would you like to try? It's actually quite light." Then I'd stand back and snicker as thy struggled to lift it.
  • Like 1

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

Maybe you can give them a little demonstration and then say, "now do you believe me?" If it were me, depending on my mood I might add, "and would you like to try? It's actually quite light." Then I'd stand back and snicker as thy struggled to lift it.

Well, they believe me now. The one custodian didn't lift a finger to help as I moved a two drawer vertical fining cabinet from my car to my room all on my own and in heels. Granted, I did use a hand truck once it was out of the car. The morning daycare lady was duly impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Heh. At the running group this lunchtime, I was behind a chap whose shorts kept slipping. That's probably *why* I was behind him half the time...

Was he a gangsta'? I'm pretty gangsta' myself, and I to sag my pants to signify this.

382875_10150441555926965_1401479918_n.jp