Forums are back in action! ×

The Downsides of Fitness

If you are a healthy individual the flu shot is not for you. It is for those around you. The elderly, the immunocompromised, and children are all very susceptible to the flu. I personally do not encounter these people in my daily, and work life, so I don't bother with the flu shot. But if you work, or have these kind of people in your life, be a responsible member of society, and go get a flu shot. Not for yourself, but for others. 

... Brought to you by Big Pharma, Inc.

Sorry for the crassness of that. You are allowed your feelings on vaccines, but to insinuate that I am sponsored by a evil conglomerate hits home. 

I work for an Environmental Non-Profit fighting against climate change and energy waste. I got into this industry right out of school, and being in non-profit I have sacrificed probably about half of my earning potential to try and make positive change in the world. It's rather offensive to be called a shill when as a person I have given up so much to try and change the world. 

I have a few friends that are docs. According to them, vaccine fear is really a conspiracy theory thing that has no basis in reality, and they haven't been in long enough to have been bought of by big pharma.

But yes, flu shots are not meant to protect healthy individuals from getting the flu, who can typically recover from the flu fairly easily, it's to stop them from becomming another transmitter to indivuals without that benefit so that it doesn't spread to them. As was said, people with compromised immune systems such as the very young and very old can not recover easily. I'm considering ban on anyone coming over my house who hasn't had their flu shot starting in November.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I just donated my last 3 suits... I have no suits any more. Too big to get taken in. 

and here i am never having owned a suit. but then again i guess im not really expected to...

ooo problem with fitness - doing handstands and pullups a plenty means i have some pretty serious shoulders. so my dress size jumps up by 2 whenever i want to get something with more than just spaghetti straps :P

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Two things that have come up for me lately that are due to fitness (specifically weight loss):

1. Learned that the drawstring on my favorite cool weather lounging pants is not actually functional and instead is just a piece of ribbon sewn to the front. Prior to this fall I hadn't had reason to attempt to make them smaller so I didn't know this. Oh well, that's a reason for a new pair of loungers.
  2. My rings are now too big. I reached into the dog treat bin the other day and my ring slid off my finger and down into the depths. I had to dig through everything to find it again. This is a nice problem because a couple of years after I had my daughter I gave up on waiting to wear my rings until after I lost weight and went ahead and had them sized up. Now it's time to size them back down.
  • Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

My rings are now too big. I reached into the dog treat bin the other day and my ring slid off my finger and down into the depths. I had to dig through everything to find it again. This is a nice problem because a couple of years after I had my daughter I gave up on waiting to wear my rings until after I lost weight and went ahead and had them sized up. Now it's time to size them back down.

This always scares the crap out of me, so afraid to lose my wedding ring in the ocean.

It's funny comparing my high school class ring, which was sized when I was in the best shape of my life at 205 lb, and my college class ring, which was sized in the worst shape of my life, at 265 lb. I'm in between now, having to wear my college ring on my thumb, but my high school ring still doesn't even fit on my pinky.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

This always scares the crap out of me, so afraid to lose my wedding ring in the ocean.

This actually happened to me, just not in the ocean. Myself and Peter were cutting firewood and at the end of the day I realised that I wasn't wearing it... Never found it. :(

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

My hubs lost his in the box compactor at work. We bought him a much more inexpensive replacement.

I didn't really want to admit to it, but it happened more than once... It's not my fault, really! My hands seen to shrink in the cold and rings just fall off. The time with the firewood was when I lost the first (and most expensive) one. After that I went to stainless steel bands from eBay which only cost about £5 each. I think I'm on número 4 now :o

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I didn't really want to admit to it, but it happened more than once... It's not my fault, really! My hands seen to shrink in the cold and rings just fall off. The time with the firewood was when I lost the first (and most expensive) one. After that I went to stainless steel bands from eBay which only cost about £5 each. I think I'm on número 4 now :o

So guys aren't the only ones with shrinkage issues...

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Could you not simply take them off?

That's what I do, leave it safe at home.

500 / 330 / 625

I just don't wear mine anymore. It's too big now, and also a potential safety hazard for the machinery I work with. 

I hear ya there!  Don't know what you work with, but I work on cars a lot, and I've known a couple guys working on ignition systems that got hit with the full voltage from a coil through their wedding band.  They stop wearing it after that! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I hear ya there!  Don't know what you work with, but I work on cars a lot, and I've known a couple guys working on ignition systems that got hit with the full voltage from a coil through their wedding band.  They stop wearing it after that! 

I'm an automotive engineer, so I work on cars a lot. I also do a fair bit of machine and fab work, which is where I really worry. I prefer to keep the flesh around my ring fingers skeleton. Electricity is nothing. 

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Electricity is nothing. 

You say that, right until you take 40,000 volts through your ring finger.  Haha.  But yea I know what you're saying.  I'd rather have that than get it stuck in a hydraulic press or something.  At least voltage won't rip the finger off.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

You say that, right until you take 40,000 volts through your ring finger.  Haha.  But yea I know what you're saying.  I'd rather have that than get it stuck in a hydraulic press or something.  At least voltage won't rip the finger off.  

Been there, done that.We used to tase each other for fun. I'm also a welder.

• Like 1

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Sounds like a metaphor for being picked up by hot girls who flirt with married guys

Metaphor? Wait... Yours doesn't do this?

500 / 330 / 625

So I pulled a muscle in my left mid-back, most likely after my upper body strength session last Tuesday. Only I didn't realize it was a pulled muscle and thought it was just ordinary delayed onset muscle soreness and had my usual massage on Wednesday night. Long story short, I slept in a semi-reclining position on the sofa last night because even breathing in caused pain. This morning I went to see my doctor, who confirmed that it is indeed a pulled muscle and this is roughly how our conversation went:

Me: well, last time I worked out hard was last Tuesday.

Doc: what was your workout last Tuesday?

Me: Handstands...

Doc: What!?

Me: and Hindu pushups

Doc: What?!

Me: I was kinda worried that it might be a fractured rib or slipped disc because we practiced throwing last Saturday (note: this was during the Pencak Silat workshop)

Doc: what did you throw?

Me: Each other

Doc: WHAAAAT???!!!

lol

• Like 5

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

I've lost track of how many wedding rings I've had. Lost, crushed,mangled. One wife...many rings

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Well most dokters don't deal well with the news their patient does anything more strenious than light jogging. Most dokters get worried if you deadlift over 50kg, and anything over 100kg tends to give them a minor stroke :D

I've yet to meet a doctor who worried about my deadlift.

-

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano