Forums are back in action! ×

Minimalistic shoes that won't break the bank

So this entire summer I have been fortunate enough to wear very thin as nonexistant as they come sandals to work. Well this weekend it was awfully cold and I wore shoes while I ran around town. I also went to the gym in my gym shoes and walked for 30 minutes and experienced foot pain. I'm thinking I need to invest in some minimalist shoes for both around the office (since I stand at my desk) and for when I go to the gym and watch cable (I mean walk on a treadmill).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know Vibrams are super awesome, but the price tag is well out of my range. Or if Vibrams really are that great, are the worth the investment for someone who lives off of $15,000 anually?

I do work in a business casual environment, but they are pretty laxed on that. So as long as they don't look blatantly obvious like gym shoes they're good.

A lot of skate shoes are kinda minimalistic. Well, maybe not minimalistic, but a whole lot morestripped down than "athletic shoes".

Good ol' fashioned Sambas are another possibility.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Well, if you're really looking for something cheap, you might be able to figure out an effective wrap for your feet. :/ I really like my Vibrams because running with shoes gives me serious knee pain, but everyone reacts differently. You *might* not have that much of an improvement. I'd definitely run for several weeks almost completely barefoot before deciding to invest money into it.

I buy my vibrams from travelcountry.com... check out slickdeals as well.. as deals are posted... i know the travelcountry has them for way less than most places, if you buy the sale rack.

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

I got fila's version of barefoot shoes. I like them. They were about $50. Not sure if that's closer to your price range or not, but it is definitely easier on the wallet than vibrams

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

You can look at the following

http://www.borntorun.com/ (The Barefoot Shoe Store)

I like the selection, thanks!

http://www.softstarshoes.com/

Moccasins > Split toed yuppie socks

Take them off when deadlifting or squatting, though.

Thanks - they definately look like I could get away with wearing them to work too!

I buy my vibrams from travelcountry.com... check out slickdeals as well.. as deals are posted... i know the travelcountry has them for way less than most places, if you buy the sale rack.

Awesome! I do love a good sale.