Forums are back in action! ×

favorite book

For inspiration "The Contrary Farmer" by Gene Logsdon

For fun "Time Enough for Love" by Robert A. Heinlein

For nostalgia "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens (I learned to read on this one)

At last count we had over 1300 authors in our paper book collection and about 200 in the e-book side. For many of them I own all the books they ever wrote (Dickens, Heinlein, Herbert, most of Asimov, Tolkein and hundreds more) so the actual book collection is nearly uncountable at this point.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Early Autumn, by Robert B. Parker. Such a simple lil' braincandy of a PI story, but it was my introduction to the classic Spenser series, and provided a father figure when I needed one the most.

LotR and Bryce Courtney's The Power of One also deserve mention here.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Oh this is hard. I would have to third the Lord of the Ring series. Amazing. I also love Great Expectations. And Alice in Wonderland ( I am re-reading that right now actually). As far as new stuff goes, I just read The Hunger Games, it was amazing.

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Bryce Courtney's The Power of One also deserve mention here.

what's this one about? the Amazon pg only has a bunch of quotes saying how great it is, but no description.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Two words: Don't Panic

Otherwise, Frankenstein, The Hobbit (though I love all LOTR, the Hobbit is my fa-fa-fa-favorite) and The Picture of Dorian Gray

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I REALLY enjoyed Enders Game, but found the rest of the series was a let down. Couldn't even finish book 4.

*By the rest of the series I mean the core 4 books - Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind (pretty sure those are the names). There's a lot more out that I didn't bother with

Yeah most of the other books in the series are terrible, but I'd recommend Ender's Shadow..it's about Bean in the same timeline as Ender's Game. I'm reading Ender in Exile at the moment and it's decent too...it's the proper sequel to Ender's Game.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

what's this one about? the Amazon pg only has a bunch of quotes saying how great it is, but no description.

Power of One is great...it's about a scrawny kid in South Africa who becomes a great boxer.

I went to a book signing event where Bryce Courtney talked for about 30 minutes about the art of writing...he was such an amazing storyteller...he had the whole crowd spellbound the entire time...I've never seen anything like it.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)