Forums are back in action! ×

Ok to have 2 lunches/ Diet Advice?

Random Q, but am I ok to have 2 lunches (pre-workout by 1 hour and post-workout by about 15mins)?

I am trying to clean the diet up so I can cut off the last bit of fat and say goodbye to my lovehandles but am a little lost on the diet side (and am trying to stop the missus from tempting me when I see her on the weekend!

My normal weekday looks like this currently:

Breakfast: 9:30-10:00am - Porridge made with milk, sultanas and almonds.

Lunch 1: 11:00am (or slightly later but I do it 1 hour before gym) - Salad with hard boiled egg and balsamic vinegar (normally grated carrot, peppers, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes)

GYM

Lunch 2: Whatever I can grab from the work canteen that has no carbs/sugars (today it was chilli which I swapped the rice for the boiled veg meant for another meal)

Dinner: 6:00pm-7:00pm - Mostly Chicken based with a minimum of 2 breasts along with veg and a salad made mostly of spinach, peppers and tomatoes with balsamic vinegar. I worry here a bit, as I tend to like having a sauce on my breasts and it could introduce too many sugars etc. I watch the 'wheel of death' (English nutrional info breakdown thing on food packets) but am I being too easy?

Also during the day I snack on Edamame Soya Beans when peckish and have a lot of coffee but as of today have said goodbye to the sugar. I also drink a minimum of 2ltr's of water.

I know it's not 100% Paleo, but I have a friend who is a cage fighter and massive gym goer who swears by just having carbs at breakfast and then no-more during the day which I find is an easier transition to this change of life.

If you feel that you need that much food, then yes, there's no reason you can't do that.

that said, some people see great results with 4-5 meals and some people see good results with 2-3. if you don't see any results soon, try cutting the pre-workout meal out and having a larger post-workout meal (or cutting the preworkout meal down to a snack rather than a high protein meal).

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

If you feel that you need that much food, then yes, there's no reason you can't do that.

that said, some people see great results with 4-5 meals and some people see good results with 2-3. if you don't see any results soon, try cutting the pre-workout meal out and having a larger post-workout meal (or cutting the preworkout meal down to a snack rather than a high protein meal).

What he said.

Can you bring something for post workout?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Might be a good plan for post workout. Maybe have just a couple on hand so when the canteen is lacking you have better options? Or, add to canteen meal for super huge post workout meal if you end up rearranging your eating schedule.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Eat a larger pre-workout meail and skip the post workout. There has been plenty of research to show that preworkout nutrition is more important than post workout nutrition. And, you will have better control over what you eat this way

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

I'm far too hungry when I get out the gym to not eat, and I don't think I could do it on snacks.

I'm happy with my current fat loss, so think I'll keep the second lunch. At the moment though I've switch it to grilled chicken and nothing else. Might try and get some spinach going somehow as a medium salad with tuna/egg for lunch is just not enough for my frame (6"4, stocky).

I'm far too hungry when I get out the gym to not eat, and I don't think I could do it on snacks.

I'm happy with my current fat loss, so think I'll keep the second lunch. At the moment though I've switch it to grilled chicken and nothing else. Might try and get some spinach going somehow as a medium salad with tuna/egg for lunch is just not enough for my frame (6"4, stocky).

You are far too hungry when you get out the gym currently but that's because you eat so little before your workout. Your only energy sources in the morning are Porridge, almonds, milk and your egg. It is fine to only have carbs in the morning, but you need to eat fat for the rest of the day to keep you energized (if your body has adapted to using fat for fuel). Your diet is very low in fat and carbs. That is a recipe for disaster. You will just become very hungry and low energy. Your friend may swear by carbs in the morning, but I bet he eats much differently during the day than you currently are. I am a firm believer in limitng carb intake, but you need to ramp up your fat intake to counter that.

Maybe you can add an egg or 2 to your salad and some Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a dressing. That would up your fat content considerably while not adding a lot of calories. Could greatly help your post workout craving. Otherwise you are leaving yourself succeptible to what the canteen hs to offer

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

Cheers for the advice, I guess I can chuck an egg in with the tuna (weird combo but meh!) and some olive oil.

I find I'm hungry post workout most of the time, but it never overrides my desire for a correct diet. I'll always go for the right food choice and make sure to have a good helping of protien mostly in the form of chicken, with a large salad after the gym.