Forums are back in action! ×

Hello NF.

I am a 25 year old nerdette. Current stats are 5'8" 204lbs size 14. I am a preschool teacher so am on my feet a large part of the day. I enjoy physical activity such as kayaking and hiking. Also, I enjoy the gym but have no clue what I am doing. I am looking forward to putting the knowledge I gain from this site to good use in transforming my life.

I have lost 35 lbs in the past year. I basically stopped being a cow and cut my habit of wawa for breakfast, Arby's for lunch and pizza for dinner. That was the first 25 lbs and came off quick. Over the last 3 months I have lost the last 10 lbs by going to the gym 2-3 days a week.

My gym routine usually consists of:

15 minute elliptical workout

arms legs abs on the various machines

10 minute stair climber

15 minutes of floor exercises (leg lifts, sit ups, squats, plank, etc).

I unfortunately have hit a plateau. My brother has been informing me for quite some time that NF is the cure all. Here I stand.

I have already learned in first 24 hours on NF that:

-machines = the sith

-caloric intake vs output is the balance of the force

-I can call being lazy and not wanting to go to the gym 2 days in a row a "rest day".

I am excited to read my Ebooks, begin a high protein low cal diet and create/ rededicate myself to a workout plan that will keep me strong but help me drop the fat. I am looking forward to getting advice from all of you wonderful nerds and maybe one day being skilled and informed enough to help others aspiring to make a change! I look forward to all of your advice and tips!

• Like 1

I said squats are the cure all. NF is just lots of people who squat.

EDit: ok ok, they also make sure you squat, know how to eat right, and are generally awesome.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

You were asking about challenges, here's the link to mine as an example. I can vouch that most of the people who have posted in my thread are awesome if you want to follow their threads too. It also has pics of Bianca.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/51676-gainsdalf-tries-to-fit-in-all-the-things/

Any other guidance you need? Ask here instead of facespace, others might have even better insight than me (I know, I know, it's unlikely).

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Squats are the cure all. More generally, if you're doing stuff in a gym, big compound motions like presses, squats, and Deadlifts should be your focus. Not only do you get stronger, but the focus on form will improve your balance and coordination.

But: you said you like to hike! Just because a lot of people workout in a gym, doesn't mean you can't build hiking or other outdoor stuff in too. You can find more difficult terrain, go faster, or carry more to turn a calm bike into a workout. The bonus is that no matter how hard you push yourself, you get to enjoy the scenery when you pause for a break.

By balancing your gym time with your outside time I think you'll have the best chance at enjoying your new program.

Bar work. You can do a 3 exercise bar workout as a beginner and make tremendous progress.

• Like 1

Fetchling Warrior, Level 2

str-9 dex-2 sta-3 con-4 wis-3 cha-3

Battle log!

Fitocracy!

555LB CLUB @ UNIVERSITY:

75%
75%

50 Push-ups at Once:

50%
50%

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?â€

“For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.â€

― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

As you have been doing some bodyweight exercises I suggest you try out the BBWW or Basic BodyWeight Workout here on NF. It will provide you a decent workout and will not be that different to what you have been doing. Go visit the various guilds and say hello. I suggest either Rangers, Adventurers or Assassins based on the stuff you have been doing. As a starter join in the Level 1 club.

Welcome to the Rebellion (and hopefully my beloved Ranger Guild) Amidala88.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Thanks all for the great tips and info. For the last week I have been counting calories and really monitoring my diet. I did the BBWW and was unbelievebly sore for 3 days afterward. After watching the instructional video I realized my form for squatting was way off, not only risking injury but giving me an inadequate work out. Doing them with correct form is a difference you can feel. I'm going to continue getting used to that work out and the new diet slowly over the next few weeks and am excited to jump into it full force when the next challenge begins!

I also have chosen the adventurer profession to begin with while I get my feet wet. Once I am more comfortable with a set gym routine and am seeing progress towards my goals I will reevaluate my choice. As of right now I don't feel that I am in proper physical shape to attempt specialization and that a broad spectrum weight loss, strengthening and conditioning is my current primary goal

Sounds like you've got your shit together nicely. Next time you're over we can work on form if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625