Forums are back in action! ×

New Here & I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

Hi. I've been lurking here for a few weeks reading articles and being really impressed with everyone's progress and dedication.

I've never had a good relationship with exercise, eyesight issues made me the last kid to be picked for teams and gym classes just seemed like a reason for people to shout at me or hit me with things.

I loved ballet but we couldn't afford for me to continue past the first awards. About a decade ago I had a job that involved a 6 mile round trip commute on foot and I danced for at least 30 minutes every night. Now I struggle to walk a single mile without a break. I was diagnosed with lupus and moved to a job with no commute. Between the grief for a terminal diagnosis and the stress of the banking collapse I stopped exercising and chronic pain gave me lots of reasons not to restart.

Last year I had a baby and discovered that I never had lupus, the pregnancy involved severe sickness and a condition that caused extreme hypermobility of the pelvis so I spent the last 4 months of it housebound and forbidden from exercising. A year on and my pelvis is still far too flexible. I came out of the pregnancy a dress size smaller than I started but weak as a kitten. I've also been diagnosed with depression and PTSD as a result of my medical treatment.

I know I can't continue the way I have been. I'm 5'3" and 186lbs (UK size 14).

My long term goals are-

- to be able to run up the stairs

- be able to lift my son over my head with ease

- do inverse yoga poses

I'd like to be a UK size 10 too, but I didn't manage that when I was 125lbs so I'm not sure if that's realistic for my frame.

I'm still forbidden to do yoga or any high impact exercises so I really don't know where to start, I'm hoping body weight training is the way to go.

Level 1 -::- Nome Face-Dancer -::- Wannabe Druid

STR 2 | STA 2.9 | DEX 0.3 | CON 0 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenge

80 miles in 6 weeks

0%
0%

Lose 20lb (200lb starting weight)

75%
75%
"Believe in yourself. You are an ancient, absent god, discussed only rarely by literary scholars. So if you don't believe, no-one will."

I have to ask--Repo fan?

When I was recovering from a back injury, the first sort of exercise I was allowed to do was swimming. The doctor told me that this is one of the lowest-impact exercises there are. Maybe that would be a good start? I've always been lousy at holding my breath, so I mostly just walked around in the shallow part where the water came up to my shoulders. I hope you're able to find something that works!

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Don't worry, you'll get to where you're going.  May not happen overnight, but you'll get there.

Let's think about what you time for and what you have access to.  Swimming would be great for conditioning, if you're allowed to do it - not sure what motions you're allowed to do with the hips.  Walking is a solid form of exercise as well.  Is the elliptical alright, or stationary bike?  Any kind of exercise is wonderful for fighting depression, and aerobic exercises tend to be especially good.

You can put together a solid strength routine using only what you have at home.  Look into some bodyweight programs; all you need is something for your chest and arms (a pushing motion, like push ups), something for your back (a pulling motion, like rows), something for your core (hello, planks) and something for your legs.  Not sure what your hips can take, there.  Maybe quarter or half squats if you can't sit down all the way, or maybe lunges.

What kinds of things are you allowed to do with your hips?  Did your doctor give you specific recommendations for physical therapy?

I have to ask--Repo fan?

When I was recovering from a back injury, the first sort of exercise I was allowed to do was swimming. The doctor told me that this is one of the lowest-impact exercises there are. Maybe that would be a good start? I've always been lousy at holding my breath, so I mostly just walked around in the shallow part where the water came up to my shoulders. I hope you're able to find something that works!

Yeah, Repo and general rock opera fan :) I've only tried swimming once in the last year, it was good but I have no buoyancy and couldn't get out of the pool afterwards so it's something I have to do with another person.

Don't worry, you'll get to where you're going.  May not happen overnight, but you'll get there.

Let's think about what you time for and what you have access to.  Swimming would be great for conditioning, if you're allowed to do it - not sure what motions you're allowed to do with the hips.  Walking is a solid form of exercise as well.  Is the elliptical alright, or stationary bike?  Any kind of exercise is wonderful for fighting depression, and aerobic exercises tend to be especially good.

You can put together a solid strength routine using only what you have at home.  Look into some bodyweight programs; all you need is something for your chest and arms (a pushing motion, like push ups), something for your back (a pulling motion, like rows), something for your core (hello, planks) and something for your legs.  Not sure what your hips can take, there.  Maybe quarter or half squats if you can't sit down all the way, or maybe lunges.

What kinds of things are you allowed to do with your hips?  Did your doctor give you specific recommendations for physical therapy?

Thanks JPrev :) basically I can't do anything that would be classed as a "hip opener", put weight on only one leg for extended periods of time or do things like cycling that put pressure directly on the pubic joint. I've been doing sliding mountain climbers with towels so I don't have to take a foot off the floor but it gets painful quickly. My physiotherapist has prescribed lots of bridges and something called "clam" but not doing it just thinking about doing it, that's how weak I am :/

Challenge

80 miles in 6 weeks

0%
0%

75%
75%
"Believe in yourself. You are an ancient, absent god, discussed only rarely by literary scholars. So if you don't believe, no-one will."

Well I went back to the physio this week and got moved from 'weak as a kitten' to 'weak as a puppy' which is slightly better, but it's now probable that I have arthritis in both my knees. She's looking into getting me into a prescribed pilates or swimming class as she doesn't want to risk further injury, but i'm so frustrated! I wanna get moving again!

Challenge

80 miles in 6 weeks

0%
0%

75%
75%