Forums are back in action! ×

Excited to be here! Hello from a current expat!

Hello everyone,

My name is Jim, and I'm a geek. Over the last few months (many months), I've been looking in the mirror and I don't like what I see. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh about 180 pounds. I'm not fat by any means. However, I'm certainly not happy with how I look or feel. So, I can either quit moping or do something about it.

I have decided to do something about it. That is why I am here. Being a geek, what better place to get information, interact with people, and ultimately get fit than Nerd Fitness?!

Realistically I want, and am ready to work for, the following:

1. I have some flub around the belly. I'm ready for it to be gone. Extremely ready for it to be gone.

2. I've never done any strength training. I've tried some weight lifting in the past, and I did get a bit stronger years ago, but I want to really get stronger, be more muscular, and have more muscular tone while I'm at it.

3. I will eat healthy, feel healthy, and generally be in very good physical condition.

N.B.: I REALLY want that belly fat gone. Did I mention that?  :playful:

As my topic title mentioned, I am currently an US expat living in the UAE. I find myself losing motivation out here very quickly for almost everything. A lot of that lost motivation is due to my family being back in the US and it's very tough for me to be separated from them. I'm here until the end of May, and by the time I get home I want to look and feel much better than I do now. I plan to work hard, practice good habits (eating, etc.), and feel/see results!

I will definitely be looking/reading this site to help in my quest for continuous motivation.

Good to virtually meet all of you, and I look forward to interacting with you in the future.

Cheers,

Jim

• Like 1

Hello! I'm a newbie Rebel too, and I am also living in a foreign country - study abroad. I can relate to your feeling of longing for family & friends back home T-T Let's work hard for our goals!

Btw, have you joined any NF challenge? I'm excited to hear about your progress!

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

D3li9ht, where are you living?!

I am also a long way from home but feel like it can be beneficial for focusing on working out.

I feel like I have less excuse for not working out (because back home I was have all my friends and family to spend time with) and focusing on health is a great way to distract from things like home sickness. :)

Good luck with all your goals!

LEVEL 2 | HALF DWARF | ADVENTURER

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 5 | CON 4 | WIS 6.5 | CHA 1

D3li9ht, where are you living?!

Good luck with all your goals!

Currently I'm studying abroad in Japan - been here for 5 years already. I'll be back to Indonesia in 2 years, if everything goes as planned :)

Good luck to you too!

.: d3li9ht :.

Level 2 Aspiring Assassin

[ STR 3.3 ][ DEX 2.9 ][ STA 4 ][ CON 3.2 ][ WIS 4 ][ CHA 2 ]

Challenges:  #0.5  |  #1.5  |  #3 CURRENT  |  YAYOG PVP (W5D3)  

The Awesome Colorful Spreadsheets 

I had a slow start since the post, but I have started moving forward.

Wow, I am really out of shape.

As I've read, the key is doing what I can while maintaining perfect form. So that's what I'm doing. I'm going with one day of strength training, followed by one day of cardio. I am shooting for six days of that rotation and one day off, Friday.

So I started Sunday, did some cardio yesterday, and just finished this evening. I didn't realize how out of shape I was until starting.

One day at a time, right?

The key is my diet. I've started to be conscious about staying away from processed foods and focused on eating of natural foods. Lots of proteins, lots of vegetables, if I need a starch, I'll go with a baked or sweet potato. Greek yoghurt and raspberries in the morning. It's tough. I need to check around the forums some (I've been lacking on that) for some good recipes or advise when it comes to diet. Any suggestions are certainly welcome.

For those of you also overseas, stay strong and you will reach your goals! I have an educational agenda during the rest of my time here and I'm using my motivation to be healthy and stronger along with that until I get home.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!