Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys.

From the darkness a great queen spider silently descends from its hiding place. Moving with an eerie grace it hovers above the group. Suddenly the great spider plummets from its perch, directly on top of Flo and forcing her to the ground. She strikes out at the beast with her fists, doing little but angering it. It sinks its venom coated fangs deep into her abdomen. She screams as she feels the poison begins to move into her system.

(6 damage and poisioned, NATURAL d6 YOU HAVE THE WORST LUCK, and you failed the fortitude save -2 to basically all rolls. You now have 1 health... sorry...) 

Rowan belows in rage, swinging his great sword in a sweeping arc at the beast. However it manages to duck just below the blade. It moves to finish Flo.

Ok so since this is a significant development I figured I would let you guys say what you want to do. All I need from you is your weapon stats. I have your character sheets for things like saving throws. I couldn't find what Rowan is supposed to roll for weapon damage. I am doing this quick as I am going to a hockey game shortly. So I don't really have time to look it up. I will be finishing this fight tonight due to my lack of posting yesterday. I hope that makes up for it!

edit by Gainsdalf:  ^^^^^^^^ This was a lie!!!! :playful:

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Bronan sees his ally taken down hard by the beast and immediately enters a rage (+4 str, bringing it to 23 for a +6/+6 one handed bonus). His muscles pump up and he swings his hammer with the ease a child might swing a stick with all of his might (power attack, -1/+2) in a sweeping backhand, trying to throw the spider from Ladybro.

OOC: warhammer damage is 1d6/1d8, x3 and the total attack bonus is +5/+8. Wish he was holding the two handed mace, would been +5/+12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Flo can't feel anything but searing pain and anguish. She knows there's danger close by, she can hear the boys hollering and trying to fight... the spider! Oh dear world, you are so beautiful, but this .... this may take me from you.

She couldn't decide if she should attempt to move or just writhe in pain here in the venom and blood soaked webbing. Both ventures seemed equally impossible to control. She wails without restraint, for she has none.

The poison is effective and it's damning her body to suffering the ferocity of its nature. This could be the end. She can't accept it. She opens her eyes, but only one cracks open a bit. She sees one of the two big bro brutes aiming for the spider with great force. She screams encouragement in her rage and pain, but little escapes her lips as her body frantically fights the venom, trying to gain a foothold and stop its progression.

"Kill that nasty thing!" words no one is likely to hear if they weren't focusing on her. Which they better damn well not be unless they want to join me! She almost smiles as her eye demands to close again.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

"Sh*t. I knew it was wrong to start without a healer" Bacon thinks to himself as he sees Flo getting manhandled by the spider. Things are looking bad. He's neither a powerful combatant nor equipped with any spells that could be of use right now. Tough luck. Huh, luck eh? That's about all he can do, push his darn luck. Hopefully it'll carry him through like it did in the chamber of fiery statues. It's a long shot, but hey, million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

With that, he rushes to get under the spider, utilizing his minor frame and the distraction Bronan and Rowan are hopefully providing. Once he makes it to Flo, he'll whip out the healing potion they found in the chest at the first room and put it to her lips.

(Not sure if I'm allowed an untrained Athletics roll to have a chance against the spider's Attack of Opportunity, otherwise I'm gambling on pure luck and hoping for the best)

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Flo squirms beneath the spider, trying to get away from the beast that seems set to end her. It begins to move to place the fatal blow. The rest of the group moves into action however, drawing its attention away from what it believes to be a finished foe.

Bacon has moved to aid Flo. With all of his spirit he moves to dive beneath it. Rowan moves to open up a chance for his fellow, placing himself directly in front of the great spider. It accepts the challenge and moves to attack. It swings its legs forward, hoping to hook and draw the man in. Instead Rowan swings his sword with expert skill, severing one of the limbs.

As the arachnid writhes in pain Bacon slides, narrowly dodging its poisonous fangs. He places the vial to Flo's lips, insisting she drink. It seems to begin to work, but with about a quarter of the liquid left one of the spiders legs smashes into bacon, flinging him into the webbing to its left side and leaving him stuck a foot off of the floor next to a large cocoon. (Flo is healed for 4 health, Bacon takes no damage).

After severing the spiders limb Rowan moves in to strike at the beast. He swings with a great overhead blow that connects with crushing force. Shearing off one of the beasts fangs and inflicting a deep wound into the beast.

Bronan moves in for the kill. As the spider squirms and swings he lifts his great club overhead, and crushes the head of the large spider in a quick glorious blow.

Flo begins to rise, still feeling the affects of the poison. The group turns to see Bacon squirming in the net. A rather large spider begins to descend on him, pausing on the large cocoon before preparing to leap onto the now frantic Bacon. Suddenly a blade bursts forth from the sack, piercing the spider and killing it instantly.

It falls to the ground, and the blade begins to saw its way through the webbing. As it reaches the bottom a figure drops out. A goblin. 

The goblin drops to the ground. But quickly rises. He wears fine clothing, now tattered and stained with spiders blood. The corpses of half a dozen smaller spiders fall out of the cocoon with him. He is heavily scarred, the right side of his upper lip so disfigured that he seems to have a permanent scowl upon his face. Scars criss cross his skin, and his right eye is a deep red. He has open wounds everywhere as well. It becomes readily apparent that the spiders within the cocoon had attempted to eat him alive. He stands and sheathes his short sword on his hip. 

"So you killed her did ya, good on ya. I'm assuming your here to kill a dragon eh? My name is Fight Like Beast."

He spots Flo on the ground, obviously affected by poison. He walks over to a nearby cocoon and cuts it open. A dead goblin figure drops out. He reaches into a pouch on its belt, and withdraws a vial filled with a bright green liquid. 

"Give her this, it should stop the poison. These guys wont be needing it." He motions to all the cocoons around the room.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Thinking she is failing about trying to free herself, Flo feels like there is some hope. She opens her eye again, but to her dismay her hand has barely lifted off her stomach and certainly isn't doing any wild and helpful movements. There's a burst of movement just then and hacking. Liquid is suddenly forced to her lips. Flo believes herself to be drowning in spider guts which would be great for the Bros. But it doesn't register as truth when a hand pries her jaw open.

The pain would have been worse if she knew how to feel worse than she did. It was hot liquid and then cold. And then the soothing magic slid through her, filling cracks and giving her room to breathe. She tries to gobble it down but soon it's gone. The loud crack and the definite oozing of real spider blood gave Flo a chance to move or at least get out of the guts and blood. She tries to place one hand on the floor to support her enough to move away, but the strain is still overwhelming and she merely manages to prop herself up on something that felt like a huge stick.

Bacon's struggling comes into her view then and she can't laugh or cry at the sight of her new friend dangling ever so undignifiedly from the webbing. Another spider?! "Ahhg" She can barely speak as she comes to realize she is already hoarse from screaming. was it really only moments ago that she was whole? A sword slices through the spider before it ever comes in reach of her friends. There is a ruckus above and a small Goblin falls to the floor. It wears the fancy dress, but has certainly seen battle recently and always before likely.

Her hearing still isn't great, but the Goblin looks at her and then pierces another part of the web. He grabs something and again gestures to her. Her mind is coming to a bit as the magic does its best to banish the invading poison. She won't be right as rain for some time, but she feels like life has not been taken from her, not this time.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

"I hate to interrupt this lovely get to know each other situation, but I'd really appreciate it if someone would GET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE? Like, before any more spiders show up?" Bacon's tiny heart is still pounding like a drum as the adrenaline effect hasn't worn out just yet. His eyes frantically dart left to right, scannning the webs for any other spiders about to make a move towards the group.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bronan wipes his hammer off on some of the spider's hair before going to retrieve Bacon, securing his hammer to his belt once more as he goes. The Barbellian looks more relaxed, having had the chance to flex his muscles a bit. As he pulls LittleBro down from the webbing, he cals out to the goblin. "Have you found the sword yet, Fight Like Beast? We are indeed here to retrieve it and use it against the dragon."

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

As Bronan tears Bacon out of the webbing the goblin goes about searching the sacks hanging about the room. He takes a little something from each before moving on. 

As the group finally composes themselves Fights like Beast answers Bronan, while taking a seat upon the corpse of the spider queen. 

"My companions and I came down here to search for a way out, not to look for the sword. We found no exit. In the next room there is a underground lake, with a large statue or something next to it. There was a small island of sorts a short swim away from the statue. However we had no time to investigate, and decided to head back to regroup with the others. That's when she nabbed us." He emphasizes his last statement by kicking the spider with his heel as he sat upon it. He then jumps down and wipes his hands on his pants.

"I really ought to be getting back to my brother, he tends to worry. I'm not as smart as he is, but I think there's something up with that thing in the next room. It may be worth a look. I'll be heading back now."

With that he began to walk back the way you came.

Bacon gets back on his feet and tries to clear any webbing that's still stuck onto his clothes as he hears the goblin. "Oh great" he says. "I'm willing to bet there's some kind of aquatic monster living in that lake, waiting to drag us to the depths and eat us while we're trying to swim across. Probably the statue is magical as well. I mean, this is supposed to be a wizard's tomb after all. Or his tower...study..whatever. No real difference. Wizards lock themselves in their towers forever so in a way they're also tombs. Apart from the high chances of this turning out to be fatal, especially now that we're out of healing options, this is great!"

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bronan eyes the Goblin as he goes about removing things from the webbing, trying to get an idea of what he is gathering from them after finding nothing of interest himself. "Why do you look for a way out? Does Fights like Beast intend to Run like Child? Does he not wish to slay the dragon, test his worth against such a foe, and live up to his name? Or does he think he is not as strong as I, Bronan the Barbellian, and wants to leave such feats to me?"

OOC: Can I get a perception check for what he was taking out of the webbing? Also, an intimidate/charisma/persuation check to get him to help us fight the dragon?

500 / 330 / 625

Bronan notices that the items are small personal items. Perhaps since the goblin is unable to recover the bodies at this time, they can be provided for the others some sort of closure.

As the goblin begins to walk away Bronan's statement catches him off guard. He smirks "I had no intention of running like a scared dog. I will be waiting for you at the entrance to the vaults where the dragon lies. I sought only a means of escape for my injured brethren. What kind of person disregards the needs of others before seeking out personal glories?" He turns and shakes his heads as he walks away.

The group continues further down the path in hopes of finding the dragon slaying sword. As they continue the walls depict numerous scenes of great battles against a mysterious enemy. They finally come upon a large set of double doors, slightly propped open. Above the doors is a large mural, nearly intact. It depicts a man holding a pendant out in front of him as the dragons flames wrap about him. In his other hand a sword is depicted with a cool blue glow.

"Well if thats not a good sign I don't know what is!" Says Bacon

Bronan and Rowan nod, Flo appears to be feeling better as she seems rather excited to explore the room. Bronan moves to the door and shoves it open with his shoulder. It slides open slowly, the sound echoing through the room.

Beyond the door lies a large underground lake. Some form of light is streaming down from the ceiling, illuminating most of the large cavern. The reflecting light bounces around the room casting brilliant shades of light in rippling patterns. The water is relatively clear, but quickly grows dark after a few feet of depth. A small island sits about 100 feet off shore.

On the edge of the water the group stops at a large stone pillar. There seems to be some writing upon it.

Flo feels her insides perk up nicely. The poison is a nasty memory, but a memory none-the-less. "Ooh, nice painting," she offers to no one in particular. She cringes with the creaking door, but again she lightens up with a new scene before her.

The bouncing beams dance around forcing the darkness to continually adjust and seek the corners and the depths of the water. Flo drags her attention to the statue. "Again, a statue." She tries to read the words etched in the stone, hoping to match the meaning to something in the room. "Fountain with lights, fire with puzzles, goblins and spiders. Humm..."

(Linguistics: 8 [HA! yea, right!] I guess I don't have a clue what it says or means!)

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bronan moves forward toward the stone upon entering, once again shouldering both greatclub and sack and wishing he had a backpack. He glances the stone up and down quickly to see if he understands anything on it. If not, he turns to the water, looking at it suspiciously. His gaze then focuses in on the island, attempting to make out anything on it.

(ooc: busy today, no time to get too flowery).

500 / 330 / 625

Bacon inspects the statue. A glow begins to spread across the stone. As they begin to come together he sees a message "Those who are welcome may walk to the island and need not fear the water."

"Perhaps this is just like the fire traps, well, here goes nothing." said Bacon as he steps to the edge of the large underground lake. He goes to dip his toe into the water but finds that it will not break its surface. He places his whole foot down, and finds that he seems to float a mere inch above the surface. He begins to walk accross, then in a rush brought on by excitement he begins to quickly move to the island. The rest of the group attempts to call him back, but he is to eager to be of use to the group. He reaches the island, and finds a pile of valuables. And atop it a large chest. With reckless abandon he opens the chest, and within lies a sword.

"Guys I think I found..." Suddenly a large beast bursts forth from the water, siezing the small framed bacon in its pincer. And as quickly as he appeared he drags Bacon beneath the surface. Bacon tries to scream, but the water muffles his voice. He sucks in a breath, surprised that he is able to breathe. The statue must have given him some kind of underwater breathing. The beast continues to drag him into a cavern at the bottom of the lake. As it enters a rumbling from above shakes the entire place, sealing the cavern with no way of reaching their captured comrade.

• Like 1

From memory Bronan quickly scratches a small map down in the sand on the edge of the water. Trying to ensure he remembers where he is. It may not be to scale and wholly accurate, but it gets the job done.

map28x18.jpg

Not knowing what else to do, Bronan dashes back to the fountain, throws a coin in to activate it, and dunks his head in to drink the water before rushing back. He then drops his club and sack (warhammer is on his belt), rips the sunrod from the sack to make sure he has light, and dives into the water to try to reach Bacon. (keeping it short to give others time to return).

500 / 330 / 625

Wasn't that just like Bacon? Run off and save the day. Gods Above, my friend is as bad as I fighting the spider. Flo shivers at the memory of being stabbed, and then freezes. Bacon's found something. A chest! "Wait, Bacon, don't open it yet!" Too late, he looks mesmerized and then he starts yelling something. She tries to focus on him, but at this distance, it was hard to tell what he was saying. Then chaos erupts from the water. A... A... beast!? "Noooooo!!!!!" Bacon is, in a flash, bound in pincers of this massive thing. He is pulled under the surface and what looks like a kind of opening below the surface is their destination. She tries to search for ways to get there by land or wall. The opening closes and leaves the last sight of Bacon struggling and screaming at the beast.

In a huff, Bronan, takes off the way they came with a mission clearly on his face. She looks around and wonders if the statue is what gave Bacon the ability to walk above the water. She goes to it and tries to recall what Bacon had done with his hands, hoping the same glow would reappear.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

As Flo inspects the stone Bronan runs in. As he passes the stone glows for just an instant, but quickly dissappears as he dives into the depths of the water. 

Bronan dives deep into the water following the path of the creature. He reaches the entrance of the cavern, finding large rocks blocking his path. Despite their size Bronan attempts to lift them, bracing his feet and pulling with all his might. His muscles and tendons taught he can do little more than shift the large rock. Light pierces through. At least the cavern leads somewhere. Perhaps the goblins may know where. 

"Oo, I got - huh? Wha -" All blurted out of Flo's mouth as she saw the light, it disappeared and Bronan was in flight diving straight into the lake. Dear Gods, pray he can break the surface, cause that's gonna hurt! Bronan indeed breaks the surface with a thunderous pound against the water's surface. He swims down to the boulder and starts heaving on it, yanking wherever he can.

Flo looks to the folks around her and decides, reinforcements. She sprints off toward the goblin room, feeling the cobwebs leave her mind. As she passes the fountain, more realizations come to her. With a slight roll of her eyes, she turns the corner, calling out, "Friend."

If she has anyone's attention, she starts explaining the situation and asking if they knew where the cavern might lead to and if they could help Bronan move the boulder. "If you drink from the fountain, you can breath the water and swim down and help Bronan move boulders so we can get in and get Bacon." Gods, I'm hungry.

She waits for any answers she can, wanting to drink some fountain water and get back to saving Bacon.

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Later On

(OOC: Not sure if Bacon was able to grab and hold on to the sword before getting jumped at, so I'll write it up assuming the sword is still on the island. Also taking a minor liberty in assuming that the beastie is not immune to mind-affecting spells, because the whole writeup is classic Bacon surrealism)

Still surprised, but at least feeling a tad safer thanks to the unexpected ability to breathe underwater, Bacon focuses on his attacker. His gnomish eyes adapt to the minimal light available and the water's distortion, before they reveal the creature that dragged him underwater. A large crustacean holds him in its pincers, the armored plates giving it fitting camouflage among the rocks. "I wonder if..."

Bacon wiggles to give himself some space and stretches his little hands towards the beast. His eyes scan it for openings in the plating, but he soon realizes that even if he found something useful, he'd be unable to reach it. Instead, he waves his tiny palm in front of him until he grabs one of the creature's antennae, curiously scanning their hyperactive prey. "Let's see what makes you tickle, sea roach!"

Laughing Touch (Sp): At 1st level, you can cause a creature to burst out laughing for 1 round as a melee touch attack. A laughing creature can only take a move action but can defend itself normally. Once a creature has been affected by laughing touch, it is immune to its effects for 24 hours. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3+your Charisma modifier. This is a mind-affecting effect.

The magic is barely enough to surprise the monster and loosen its grip a little bit, allowing Bacon to escape and make for the surface. Water breathing or not, natural air would feel a lot better right now. Not to mention he was unsure when the water-breathing spell's effects would run out. Once he's up there, he catches a glimpse of a ladder. Without concern as to where it leads and with the sea monster definately behind him, Bacon grabs it and pulls with all his might. "Friggin'... pullups..." he huffs. Coming up to the end of his ascent, he hears a familiar voice in the distance. "If you drink from the fountain, you can breathe the water and swim down and help Bronan move boulders so we can get in and get Bacon". Flo!

"You might want to light up a fire" he says as he appears from the shadows. "Bacon's great when all dried up, just don't get any ideas about the smoked stuff already"

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Bronan (in the sword room) breaks the surface and makes his way to the island, a frown on his face as he tries to figure out how to get to Bacon (he and Flo are in the Goblin room, so he has no clue he's back). He liked the little guy, and would like to see him back safe.

It is then that he sees the sword in the chest and the pile of valuables. He looks at the chest, then back to the water, and smiles. Maybe the beast is the guardian of the sword. If I take the blade, perhaps.... Bronan takes up his warhammer from its spot hanging at his waist in his left hand, then in a quick movement, snatches the sword from the chest with his right (assuming it's 1 handed, if it's two handed discard the warhmmer bit) and spins around to prepare for battle.

OOC: I made a mistake earlier thinking that Bronan knew about the underwater breathing effects of the fountain. Oops.

500 / 330 / 625

"Bacon's great when all dried up, just don't get any ideas about the smoked stuff already"

"Oh very funny, Bacon." Flo smiles as she rolls her eyes at his usual humor. "What!?" Flo spins around to see a drenched gnome smirking at her. "Oh my Gods!" Without a pause, she strides to him and drops to her knees and squeezes him tight. She pushes him back to look at him for injuries. "Dear Man, what possesses you so, to do amazing and foolish things?" She tries to regain some composure by standing up straight and tall. She tries to think of questions for Bacon, but nothing comes. Instead, she remembers Bronan. "Bronan didn't get you free did he? Oh. That means he's in the other room with hopefully the sword. And hopefully not with the thing that took you. Where is it anyway?" Flo searches the shadows that bacon just came from.

If it's clear, she urges Bacon to follow her back to the water room to get Bronan and hopefully the sword. "Come on, we'll surprise the big guy!"

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bacon lets himself get squeezed between Flo's arms, conveniently losing about a gallon of water from his clothing in the meantime. "Dear Man, what possesses you so, to do amazing and foolish things?"

"It's in the blood" he whispers by her ear with a smile. Once she lets go and attempts to regain some composure, the little gnome twists the loose fabric of his clothes in his arms to drain any water he can. "Of course, hugs are always a nice motivator on the side" he adds cheerfully. Flo is already behind him checking the trapdoor he came through and probably doesn't notice the comment, but when she returns in full-blown excitement, he follows right behind

Lvl 65 Multitasker