Forums are back in action! ×

Rec me some Swashbuckling/Sword and Sorcery fiction...please?

An off the radar series I've been reading is Lev Grossman's The Magicians.  It's more magic and sorcery but some swashbuckling adventures are in the second book (haven't started the third yet.  I saw the author speak and a charity dinner and basically he describes his series of "the stuff that happens off screen of Hogwarts."  Basically teenagers are teenagers and they'll find ways to get into trouble etc.

When you read them you can see he borrows from Harry Potter, Narnia, etc but his spin is just a little different.

Hmmm... couldn't get into those books, really.  The points he makes about classic fantasy fiction are good, but the characters... urgh.  I haven't disliked a character so much since Thomas Covenant.  I wanted to slap Quentin about once every five minutes.

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Yeah, the characters can be weak in the series.  I just like the spin that things don't always work out happily ever after for the "heroes".  I just like flawed/ troubled lead characters.  Not sure If I will get to the third book or not.  I think the main reason I got into them was that the author was such a great speaker at the dinner and I got a signed copy for free because my company was the lead sponsor of the event.

PolishRifle

Level 3 Jedi Knight

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 5 CON: 4  WIS: 7 CHA: 5

"Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us.  Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
Reduce Body weight from 230lbs to 180lbs (lose 50 lbs) Currently 214lbs

32%
32%

I third this series with an extra two thumbs up, and will add that the audio version from audible is fantastic. One of the best narrators around with fantastic characterisation and superb dramatisation.

I am fourthing Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard Series. 

And why has no one mentioned Robin Hobb? Books 4-6 are swashbuckling and her most recent book absolutely rocked. If you are looking to get into a series pick up Assassin's Apprentice. 

Alethe

Gnome, Level 0 

“It was, after all, a time for heroes and all sorts of marvelous things to occur.†  -Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest

Holy crap. I'm about 200 pages into the second Gentleman Bastard and I can't put it down. Also, Scott Lynch is and artist and profanity is his oil paint. I have laughed out loud several times throughout the series. 

All three books are so good. I laughed and cried reading that book, which never happens. I feel like Scott Lynch is so underrated. 

Alethe

Gnome, Level 0 

“It was, after all, a time for heroes and all sorts of marvelous things to occur.†  -Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest