100 Day Bench Challenge

OK, I saw a post on T-Nation (I know, I know) about a guy that did 100 squat workouts in 100 days. And added 60lbs to his 1RM over the entire time.

Now I'm happy with how my squats are progressing. I'm not happy with my bench. I've been stuck at bodyweight for MONTHS and nothing seems to shift it. So I saw this and thought, well why not. Fortune favours the bold right.

Now I'm already in the gym three days a week 5x5 so I think I'm just going to sub out the bench workouts with the new benching plan but keep everything else the same. This may be a mistake, but I can always change it if it becomes an issue.

As for the actual bench workout, it should look something like this :

bar x 10

55% x 8

56% x 5

75% x5

85% x 3

90% x 2

100% x1

With the plan to hit 92.5% Mon/Tues/Wed and 95% Thurs/Fri/Sat and 102.5% every Sunday. Yeah, a PR every Sunday (or at least an attempt).

There's also a minimum percentage expected for lifts each day: at least 85% Mon/Tues/Wed, 87.5% Thurs/Fri/Sat and 90% Sun.

I fully expect this to suck, to hurt and to be tired as hell...that's the right attitude to have isn't it? Anyway, the first day will be Monday, I'm posting now so I really can't back out lol! Just got to sit down and work out numbers for the first week... I'll post them tomorrow when I've decided whether to calculate using my sticking point as my 1RM or to work a few kg up as a more "true" 1RM.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

OK so offcial number for week one are:

Mon-Wed

10*bar

8*39

5*45

5*52

3*60

2*63

1*65 (minimum threshold)

1*70

Thurs-Sat

10*bar

8*39

5*45

5*52

3*60

2*63

​1*67 (minimum threshold)

1*70

Sun

10*bar

8*39

5*45

5*52

3*60

2*63

​1*72 (new PR)

If nothing else this is a pretty significant increase in volume from benching twice a week 5*5 so that should help. And no, I don't expect to hit a new PR every week realistically...going to give it a damn good go though. Also all weights here are kg, and adjusted to at least remove decimals, I tried to make it fair and round half up and half down lol :P I guess they'll change a bit more as well when I work with the plates my gym has available.

Battle Log:

DAY 1

Day one done. Did the new bench workout in place of standard 5x5 Madcow bench I w3ould normally do. So also did squats and rows. Sadly my gym buddy was hungover as hell so didn't make it as far as accessory work. ​​

Wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Partially because it's day one, and partially because I'm sure that 70kg (a little over bodyweight) is a slight underestimation of my 1RM.

99 days to go...

Battle Log:

DAY 2​​

​So​​ day 2 is done!

Did squats, OHP and deadlifts...and then did the new bench workout. That was tiring lol! Doesn't help that there's supposed to be a break in my lifting between these two days Mon/Wed split, but I do them back to back because life.

So far it's tiring not brutal.

98 days to go!

Battle Log:

​DAY 3

So weird to walk into the gym just to do one exercise, be done in less than 20min and the leave! Feels almost sacrilegious lol!

After getting up at 06:30, awoken by screaming child I really didn't want to go do it. But I did it, so another day crossed off.

Also, I think you can tell this is meant more for squats, they're far more taxing than just the bench. Or this is the hubris of day 3, day 20+ will probably be a very different story :P

97 days to go. 

Battle Log:

Day 4

Still weird just walking in to do one lot of exercises.

And already running into timing issues. The last two days have been after dinner, tomorrow either has to be very early (6am) or after work which means risking the gym closing before I get there, which would derail everything...so I guess that means early.

Still hitting that 1RM at 70kg every time. I was hoping it would feel a little easier by now, but it really doesn't. So I'm not feeling hugely confident with only 2 days till a PR attempt.

In other news, only four days in and while yesterday everything felt good, today my biceps are actually feeling quiet tired. But equally tired in the same place on both arms so I'm taking it as a good sign for an even technique lol.

96 days to go

Battle Log:

DAY 5

​

Earliest workout I've ever done at 06:30. The gym was WAY busier than I thought it would be. Had to wait a few minutes for a bench. Clearly an early morning is the one sacrifice most people make to get their work done.

Slightly heavier yesterday and today. I think that my top single was less of a grind after feeling like it wasn't any easier yesterday. Maybe it's just blind hope :P

Also, an aside, I was going to be taking creatine during this process, but that's not happening. Not sure why but the idea made my wife very very unhappy lol.

Battle Log:

Day 6

A​​nother day done! Didn't do my full workout after work today, messed up my toe dropping a plate on it a few weeks ago and it's STILL giving me trouble. Nothing much to report, lats are pretty tired though. Oh and tomorrow is first attempt at a new 1RM. I'm actually feeling pretty confident right now :D

94 Days to go

Battle Log:

Well I'l keep posting progress as I go, I'm hoping it'll be worth it :P

Day 7

So that's one week done! Hit my new iRM at 72.5kg with relative ease. I felt like I might have got two or three in reality, that after feeling like I wasn't going to make it on Thurs/Fri lol. It wasn't an explosive rep really, but it wasn't a grind either, a happy medium I'd say. ​

It's also a kilo heavier than predicted, but I'm working with the plates my gym has and it's what I could do. So, week one ended with happy results. I have to head out so I'll do an update tomorrow for the new week plus the new weeks numbers.

93 Days to go

Battle Log:

DAY 8

Day 8 and first da​y of the new numbers is done. This was more hectic on a personal level. Stayed with my wifes parents overnight which meant an hour round trip just to get this done. Sadly my major workouts are lacking (they'll end up being Wed/Thurs/Sat or some such). Not much else to report, so here are the numbers for the week:

Mon-Wed

10*bar

8*40

5*47

5*55

3*62

2*65

1*67 (min threshold)

1*72.5

Thurs-Sat

10*bar

8*40

5*47

5*55

3*62

2*65

1*69 (min threshold)

1*72.5

Sun​

10*bar

8*40

5*47

5*55

3*62

2*65

1*75

Some of these I've already adjusted to take account of plates. But they're subject to slight changes based on what I can actually make in plates. To lazy to work it all out right now lol.

Battle Log:

Day 9

​​ Not to sure what to say about today. The problem with this battle log is that it is A LOT of the same over and over :P

​

First day I've felt real fatigue afterwards though. And I think I'm doing the sets quicker than when I do a full workout day. On bench only I just want to get in and then get out lol.

Still, another day done.

Battle Log:

Day 10

Day 10 done, so​ days are officially into double figures! Did today as part of a proper workout, between squats and rows. Super rushed and tired at the moment though between work and looking after my 9 month old daughter so finding even grabbing 20-30min to do a bench session in the evening difficult, never mind a full workout.

I also did some vague maths, if I can hit every PR for the full 100 days (that seems like a big IF) then my 1RM should increase to somewhere around 95kg. Sadly I ran out of protein powder today, and I can't afford to replace it right now, damn timing. So I bought extra eggs to go with my regular eggs :P Plus whole milk. Bench is going down!

I can also tell that I haven't had a day off now. It's kind of weird actually, when I'm on the bench I can feel it, and for longer afterwards than normal. But during the day I'm still fine, no long lasting fatigue effects...yet.

Only 90 days to go!

Battle Log:

Day 11

So, another day crossed off. Today was the worst so far. Driving for hours (4 or 5) plus work, plus meetings, plus family. I had to make serious effort to find time for this, and then to drag my ass out to go do it, tired and hungry with aching shoulders from a day behind the wheel. There was meant to be a full workout, but a day like this and no food...it wasn't happening.

But I think that's part of the point. It's about habit, making time and commitment to a goal as much as it is about exercise.

Tomorrow is going to suck as well, silly early (for me) being 06:30, then Sat I'm going to have to do this hung over as all hell after a celebration for some new contracts at work lol.

Part of me is pretty amazed I've made it this far to be fair. But I expect my enthusiasm to be a lot different by week 50.

In other news, hopefully back to regular scheduled workouts next week. Seriously missing deadlifts!

89 days to go.

Battle Log:

Wow, congrats for sticking this out so far - and on the PR last week :) I'm seriously impressed you are doing this, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see your progress! 

Week 50 huh... :-)

Yes...week 50 :P I meant day 50, but see what it does to you by day 11!

Day 12

Lets just say it happened and leave it at that. Gym at 6am PC (pre-coffee) is not my idea of fun! I'm also a lot less confident about the PR this week. But then I said that last week right up until the day...so there is hope!

Battle Log:

Day 13

So, another day done. I was out til 5am drinking whisky, smoking cigars and listening to rock music. So not the most health conscious night I've had this year. But it was awesome. The got up at 9am and went to work for 3 hours...I wanted to die lol.

Still, went to the gym, did what I needed to do and tomorrow is another attempt at a single PR.

And because this is my battle log and I can talk about whatever I want, I though I'd mention something my gym buddy said for general discussion. She's a she, and often feels like people (men) are watching her, and a few times has caught people blatantly eyeing her apparently. I find this quite strange, when I'm working out I'm to focused on the weights to pay much attention to other people. Although I have stopped to watch a few Olympic lifters who were posting serious weight, and it tends to grab your attention. Anyway, it makes her a bit uncomfortable. I said it might just be she's an oddity (there are very few women lifting in our gym), but she thinks a few people are more...pervy than curious. Just wondered what other people though?

I told her to just outlift them :P

Battle Log:

Day 14

Once again my lack of faith was misplaced in the run up to a new single PR. Hit 75kg and happy with it. Was less difficult than expected, and a smooth press. No sticking or slowing so yeah, good I think. But on a personal note, I take my single rep max less seriously than my 5 rep max for some reason.

It also means that the heavier minimum threshold for Thurs-Sat is a single at the same level as my initial 1rep max. So that should be...fun lol.

Also did some maths on the volume:

Original program: 60 total reps per week (including the bar only sets)

Current challenge: 245 reps per week (including the bar only sets)

So, every week of the current challenge  is equivalent to a months volume of the old program. Or, by the end of the challenge, a years worth of 5x5! That puts things in perspective lol.

So, 2 weeks done, 2 PRs set and 86 days to go.

Battle Log:

Thanks Shortgorilla :D

Day 15

Another day done. The hardest one so far I feel. None of the numbers neatly match up with the plates I have available. So trying to get a good balance of a bit over on some and a bit under on others. Also, my rest break between sets has been quite a lot shorter than on 5x5. Often less than a minute. So I'm going to focus on stretching those a bit, especially for the heavy top sets.

The PR I need to aim for this coming Sunday is an issue as well. It should be 76.8 but the closest I can get is 77.5, so nearly a full kg heavier. Guess I'll just have to suck it and see. It's only a single right lol. Also, my LEGS are amazingly tired, more so than my upper body, not sure if it's related or not, just an observation. ​

So, numbers for the week with some adjustments for plates

Mon-Wed

10*bar

8*40

5*50

5*57.5

3*62.5

2*67.5

1*70 (minimum threshold)

1*75

Thurs-Sat

​

10*bar

8*40

5*50

5*57.5

3*62.5

2*67.5

1*72.5

1*75

Sun

8*40

5*50

5*57.5

3*62.5

2*67.5

1*77.5

Battle Log:

Day 16

Sorry for no update yesterday, got home from the gym and pretty much crashed out I was so tired. Nearly fell asleep in my dinner!

I did get the benching down, along with squats and rows. Think I've messed up my neck though. Was rushing to get done on time, and that's always a good way to get hurt. Doesn't feel quite as bad this morning, so we shall see later I guess.

Battle Log:

Day 17

Thought I'd feel more fatigue now than I am feeling. And what I do get seems to mostly be in my legs, and judging by that I'm not driving the legs equally. But I suppose I have plenty of opportunity to work on that lol.

My shoulders are also pretty tired, not day to day doing normal things, but under my heavy doubles and singles I can definitely feel it accumulating already. Not sure that feeling fatigue now is a good thing, given how far there is left to go, but I suppose it's not to surprising.

Still focusing on pushing my rest breaks to more than a minute at the top. I just want to rush when I only have one thing to go.

Kinda wish I had more to say, but really it's just benchbenchbenchbenchbench......

83 days to go

Battle Log:

OK, so obviously replies have slowed down. Driving all over the place and working long hours. Bloody crazy. BUT I haven't missed a day yet damn it! Up early or dragging myself in there after work, I'm still making it! It's actually the hard part of this challenge, always finding/making even half and hour just to do a single set.

So, everything is still go. Everything is still on track. Hopefully will also get a proper gym session in Sat and/or Sun, I miss deadlifts lol.

Really hoping to hit the PR on Sun, would be nice to be three for three and not drop one this early. Although I'm sure I will miss a few over the full 100 days, I'd like to get a solid run first.

19 days done and 81 days to go lol.

• Like 1

Battle Log: