Forums are back in action! ×

[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Yea the beginner adventure was a tad bit easy. The dragon was significantly weakened. But it's all in good fun!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

He's gonna steal all the loot and gold too by making the dragon cave the placein or something!

Working on my post now.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It's up.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

He's gonna steal all the loot and gold too by making the dragon cave the placein or something!

Working on my post now.

You know what Way to spoil everything! Lol. don't worry I have a far more interesting idea in mind... maybe... no not really.

Also awesome posts guys. Things like bronan using the knife in the dragons eye. It's not how I would have done it, and that's why these posts show much more of your character.

Still cracking up over the "this is your last set!" Line.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

You know what Way to spoil everything! Lol. don't worry I have a far more interesting idea in mind... maybe... no not really.

Also awesome posts guys. Things like bronan using the knife in the dragons eye. It's not how I would have done it, and that's why these posts show much more of your character.

Still cracking up over the "this is your last set!" Line.

It was fairly obvious with you taking out pillars for no good reason. I'm really enjoying getting this into a character again and having people who are posting this frequently and consistantly, so that we can really get the feeling of a group and get to know the characters. Doing a bunch of small adventures should let us continue to play together whilst weeding out the people that find they don't really want to commit, it's a good idea.

And yeah, couldn't really think of a line for this part. I don't want to overuse them anyway, I'll run out of material too quick.

500 / 330 / 625

It was fairly obvious with you taking out pillars for no good reason. I'm really enjoying getting this into a character again and having people who are posting this frequently and consistantly, so that we can really get the feeling of a group and get to know the characters. Doing a bunch of small adventures should let us continue to play together whilst weeding out the people that find they don't really want to commit, it's a good idea.

And yeah, couldn't really think of a line for this part. I don't want to overuse them anyway, I'll run out of material too quick.

Believe it or not I really has not thought that far ahead. I honestly didn't even think of a purpose for knocking down the pillars I've kind of made it as I go. The general outline was there with the beginner story, but not much else.

Good thing I saw this before writing mine. Will wait for Gainsdalf before posting mine

Cant waitto see what you come up with!

• Like 1

Awesome. I will post a sort of wrap up. Then you can all post something about walking into the sunset or whatever lol.

Was definitely an awesome adventure!

• Like 2

And there it is, my final post for this adventure. We will have a lot to discuss, and I will be typing up a guideline for the next adventure.

Feel free to post something about your characters actions/thoughts/plans to the final events of the adventure. 

I would also like us to share here what we liked and disliked about the adventure. And thoughts for the next one! I will start.

What I liked

• I liked the strategy I used for the last few fights. The posts felt much more lively and interesting for everyone to read (including myself)
  • Unique characters and interactions that I even couldn't think of!

What I didnt like

• We hit a rought spot mid way through or so and lost a few members of the party. 
  • I find that following the beginner story provided a decent enough guideline, but I felt that it lacked a bit of depth. I tried to add some but I still tried to keep it simple. 

Also I don't know if you guys realized but I didn't do too much rolling of the dice for combat. I prefer a more narritive approach and something I can control. For certain things I will (like crazy attempts like trying to use laughing touch on a dragon). But all in all I prefer the narritive approach. That also allows me to quickly wrap up an entire fight in a easy to manage way. I want this to be fun for everyone, and I think this provided a decent balance. I will still require people to fill out a character sheet for general reference (for things such as reflex saves/etc). 

I also don't know much about pathfinder "lore" but I really want to turn this into an adventure thats very open. So I can come up with my own monsters and encounters. 

I am also thinking for the next one it would be nice if we could get a few more people. I think a max of 6 though. I will have certain criteria for posting and stuff though. Anyways I will gather all my ideas together in a more comprehensive post, but I guess the most important thing is what to do next. My thoughts are that you can of course continue your character (or create a new one). If you want to get this character to level 2 I would only ask that you remove all items from your inventory and I will provide you with the appropriate gold amount so that you can "refit" yourself to your new level. 

It was really fun guys and I really look forward to hearing from you guys!

Pathfinder is just a system, it's up to you to make the world I believe. Really enjoyed the last part and think that's a great way to play it moving forward.

Bronan is going to want to take trophies from the dragon, and also if possible take its hide to an armorsmith and make some armor out of it. He will only wear armor made from a beast he has slain. I'll be keeping him around for level 2 and the next adventure.

I'll psot a closing for him today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Pathfinder is just a system, it's up to you to make the world I believe. Really enjoyed the last part and think that's a great way to play it moving forward.

Bronan is going to want to take trophies from the dragon, and also if possible take its hide to an armorsmith and make some armor out of it. He will only wear armor made from a beast he has slain. I'll be keeping him around for level 2 and the next adventure.

I'll psot a closing for him today or tomorrow.

Ok I know nothing about crafting armors and stuff. What I am going to do is give you guys a budget for your characters that you have to fill. You can at this time expand your exsisting inventory (where you will have to include everything and subtract it from the new total) or you can just build everything from the ground up. So I would say you can pick whichever armor that you want, and name it whatever you want. You could pick a chestplate and take the armor value from it and say that you hae armor made from the dragon. Just make a note of that on your sheet. 

For example I had a friend who played a wizard, he really wanted a staff that had a sword in it. Instead of saying no you cant have that, I just charged him the cost of both a staff and a longsword. Does that make sense?

Really liked this adventure and a big thank you to cn3wton for running it, as well as Gainsdalf and Teri for making it what it is.

Good points

- The narrative flow of combat. Tactical combat with turns and dice rolls is best suited to a tabletop session. Play by post can get bogged down, so kudos for finding this way to run encounters. I feel like it fits the narrative nature of PbP a lot more while still allowing us to put part of our characters into the posts

- The posting rate and rythm we seeem to have found out round the second half of the adventure

- How we kept going with the adventure, instead of slowing down for extensive RP posts. One of the parts that slows down most of my initial games is character suspicion and how they will get over it to become a party. We dodged that one skillfully

Problems

- Bogging down round the middle was sad, but it happens. Same with losing players. Kudos for not dropping the ball there

- I felt kinda useless during combat, as Bacon is still low-powered and a one trick pony focused on spellcasting. As an illusionist, he had no hope of using his Colour Spray on the skeletons (undead, immune to mind-affecting tricks) or the mighty dragon. He's not skilled in combat, so laughing touch was a last resort that I'd never thought about during creation (I put it there mostly for the flavour and fun of tickling somebody). I'm amazed it worked on the crustacean and it would have been hysterical if it worked on the dragon as well

As for "Parhfinder lore" I agree with Bronan about making up your own world, we're not sticking to any official setting or anything. As long as the story's good and we're having fun, we don't care. Besides, imagine someone coming up with something like "Hey, Brodin is not one of the official Pathfinder deities!"

If we're going on another adventure, I'd be tempted to try out another character, but I'll probably stick with Bacon. I'll upgrade him to level 2 and wait for your gold to outfit him. As for Bronan's armor request, usually dragonscale armor has amazing properties such as damage reduction and resistance to the element of the dragon (in this case, acid). It's definately way over any level 2 character's budget and would make Bronan a tad overpowered early in his career but on the other hand, hey he just slew a dragon, it's not an everyman's feat and denying it doesn't stick well with me. I'd suggest something like a middle ground, let him have the scales for trophy and the RP side of wearing the armor of a mighty beast he slew, but assume that there's no blacksmith/mage around skilled enough to work with such a material and forge it into such a powerful armor.

Lvl 65 Multitasker

Character:

I would like to stay with Flo and have her opt to multiclass, with Fighter, instead of going to 2nd level rogue. Her concentration would be ranged weapons as she's not a fan of getting close to anything dangerous. She feels strongly about that since the spider incident!

Thoughts about the game so far:

I liked:

• the combat mode we got into near the end. I love rolling dice, but I think I can get my fix of those with initiative and skill/feat rolls.
  • the fact that players stayed true to their characters. No one tried to outreach the abilities of their character without asking or being up front about it.
  • the narrative that our GM is making for us and allowing us to create. It's getting richer with each post. Loving it.

I disliked:

• the slowness of the first half. It's my only fear with more players. We definitely need more players, it's just I think that 6 might be too many unless we can get folks to readily agree to the posting rate. Even if they're good at it, it will slow down the process we have now so we'll need to be ready for that. I will definitely be willing to give it a try with 6 players though so you're call GM.
  • there were a few gaps in 'time' and 'actions' that I would have liked to experienced. Most of that was due to getting this adventure done which I accept pretty readily. I do however love the narration freedom we're given so if we can work through those spots, and resist skipping or telling us the skipping will happen (which you did a few times which was cool). This is by far NOT a deal breaker, but a desire to get fully into the story.

World building:

It's my first love of GM'ing so go for it. I kinda hate cookie-cutter adventures. I love how you're putting your flare into this. It works.

Dragon Armor:

I think making a hide of dragon armor would be different than a scaled dragon suit of armor. It could simply be a hide armor (as per Bronan's natural desire as a Brobarian) that has a basic bonus due to the nature of the hide. If we can shoot arrows into the hide at 1st level, it can't be so powerful as to protect Bronan with excessive bonuses. So perhaps a Hide AC with a +2 for it being dragonhide? If he wants the scales for a suit of armor that should probably take a sufficient amount of time, but with much better bonuses. Maybe that armor would be ready by 4th level? Dunno.

Thank you all so much for this opportunity. Cn3wton, you have really been doing a good job with this and I'm looking forward to the next adventure!

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

That's what I meant with the armor. It's strictly a RP aspect. Like Hercules wearing the head of the lion.

Yeah, I was thinking the same along the same lines. Typically dragon armor very strong scale armor wqith resistance to the elemement of the dragon, which would be overpowered. I suggest somehting like an unskilled armorer is the only guy available, and makes it into something like hide armor +2 (nonmagical) or something of the like. I'll just charge the rate of whatever the armor is 2 steps up from hide, or however many slots I decide to spend on. Bronan wouldn't know the difference as he's not an armorsmith, he just wants to usefully wear his trophy. I want to make it a thing for him to take something from every major beast he slays and turn it into a weapons/armor/jewelry, etc.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Yep that's exactly what I would suggest. Awesome idea.

Also raider my friend discovered that with this system at least the wizard was super weak the first few levels then quickly got extremely powerful (think around lvl 3-5 he got really good). I found it really tough to balance out the damage in fact, he would just wipe everything out. Also the group insisted on resting after almmost every battle...

You may look into wands and stuff, they can have some cool effects to get you some more stuff. But hopefully level 2 will provide you with some more worthwhile spells.

Oh don't worry about me. I intentionally made him an illusionist instead of picking Magic Missile and going for the standard spell nuker. And no, I'm not the kind of guy that would insist on resting after each fight. Besides, realistically you can't sleep for 8 hours, wake up and fight for 2 minutes then immediately rest for 8 more hours.

I'll look into wands and scrolls once we know our available gold. Game on!

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker

You have noticed the change in title of the thread. That way we can keep this thread moving on through all the adventures so we arent skipping around. I believe I will do the same for the other thread, change the title to Pathfinder Journeys. I will provide links to the start of each new adventure. Anyways I will do a more comprehensive rules post but I figured you guys may want to start leveling characters so.

Your new level of wealth is 1000 gp

You must include your current items in this if you wish to keep them. You can however rebuild your inventory from scratch if you so desire.

I will be adjusting the first post to be more comprehensive, but figured I would post this here to get the ball rolling.

• Like 1

Is there any opposition to bringing in new players/characters? I have been following along through your beginning adventure and I do like what I see.  I am mostly interested in helping my own roleplaying abilities as well as improving my DM capabilities with other systems, but I can only manage the time to be a player right now.

What are the character creation guidelines (Point buy system or roll 4d6 drop lowest for abilities, class restrictions, etc)? I see that we will only be using the core rule book and can create accordingly.

When will the next adventure start?

I am sure I will have other questions, but I will be able to spend enough time debating on what character will come into play.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

Is there any opposition to bringing in new players/characters? I have been following along through your beginning adventure and I do like what I see.  I am mostly interested in helping my own roleplaying abilities as well as improving my DM capabilities with other systems, but I can only manage the time to be a player right now.

What are the character creation guidelines (Point buy system or roll 4d6 drop lowest for abilities, class restrictions, etc)? I see that we will only be using the core rule book and can create accordingly.

When will the next adventure start?

I am sure I will have other questions, but I will be able to spend enough time debating on what character will come into play.

Welcome and yes I remember you posting early on int he adventure. I would like to start asap, possibly even this friday, but thats up to the existing members of the group.

As far as classes you are welcome to use any class in the core rulebook, and you are truly limited only by your imagination.(within reason). 

How I have been handling it as I look to a characters strength to determine what happens in things like combat. I rarely sit down and roll it all out. Its much more of a narrative thing than anything. As far as character creation goes I'm not sure what everyone used. But the method I usually use is roll 3d6 6 times then put the numbers where you want them. Sometimes I do 4d6 and discard the lowest when playing with my friends.

Edited the first post on this thread, hope you guys will check it out and tell me what you think. Also changed the title of this thread and the other.

• Like 1

Bacon's level 2 character sheet got eaten by the forum post monster. Will re-make it now.

Rolled my hit points for the new level (got a 4 on a d6, plus a CON bonus of 2)

Will keep the same inventory and spend the 1.000 gp on scrolls. Since Bacon is a Sorcerer, I don't much like the idea of paper, so I'd prefer if we kept the same mechanic but used small disposable trinkets instead. I promise, it'll open up amazing RP opportunities for this character

• Like 1

Lvl 65 Multitasker